CUNARD - Now Cancels into November

marcoigna

3 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Hi Marco .... such a shame MSC wouldn’t take a leaf out of Cunard’s book and announce cancellations before final payment dates!

Multiple cruise lines have cancelled sailings through late fall (HAL, Princess, p&o come to mind but there are more). A few cruise lines are still trying to sell voyages for the summer! Anyway, hi Beam, hope you are doing well :)

7 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Multiple cruise lines have cancelled sailings through late fall (HAL, Princess, p&o come to mind but there are more). A few cruise lines are still trying to sell voyages for the summer! Anyway, hi Beam, hope you are doing well 🙂

Hi BB ... all’s well here.  Hope it’s the same for you guys too.

I’ve noticed how late MSC are with their cancellation notifications.   Seems to me that they wait til after final payment dates before cancelling.  We have a Sept cruise booked and am hoping that cancellation of Sept cruises will be notified before our final payment date so that we can move our deposit.

We’ve already lost €500 to them on last month’s cancelled cruise.  No way would I pay them the full amount in the hope of receiving an FCC - not with the t&cs they have the nerve to attach to these, considering it’s our money they’re controlling!

• Like 1

This is horrible. Cunurd has always been one of the companies I ve been always keeping an eye on. Alwyas wanted to go on a cruise with them one day. Its very sad that they plan to reopen only in November. Basically, they are missing 2 seasons in a row. I hope they wont go bankrupt by the time they will be ready to cruise again 

9 minutes ago, sidari said:

I doubt that any ships will sail until there is a Global agreement on the way forward with the relevant authorities.

Which is what makes MSC's delay in cancellation announcements so frustrating!

5 hours ago, Beamafar said:

We’ve already lost €500 to them on last month’s cancelled cruise.  No way would I pay them the full amount in the hope of receiving an FCC - not with the t&cs they have the nerve to attach to these, considering it’s our money they’re controlling!

Wouldn't using the Flexible Cruise Programme to move payment to another cruise have been better than losing the deposit by not making final payment?  The same for your Sept sailing?  Or do I not understand the program and you have to make full payment to use this option?

Edited by Até

1 minute ago, Até said:

Wouldn't using the Flexible Cruise Programme to move payment to another cruise have been better than losing the deposit by not making final payment?  The same for your Sept sailing?  Or do I not understand the program and you have to make full payment to use this option?

My understanding of the FCC is that you have to have made the full payment to avail of it.  I don't trust MSC enough to pay over the full amount and then have it 'returned' to me in the form of an FCC.  TBH I haven't considered the option up 'til now.  We'd written off the deposit for our May cruise back in February when it was obvious that that sailing would be cancelled.

There's no way that the Sept cruise will go ahead but MSC is only cancelling cruises through to July 31st for now.  Our final payment date for the Sept cruise is July 1st - highly unlikely MSC will have Sept cruises cancelled by then despite the fact that it's highly unlikely there'll be any cruises this year. TBH I'd prefer to write off the €200 deposit than to hand over several thousands of Euro final payment to MSC to "hold onto" for me against a future cruise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roger88 said:

This is horrible. Cunurd has always been one of the companies I ve been always keeping an eye on. Alwyas wanted to go on a cruise with them one day. Its very sad that they plan to reopen only in November. Basically, they are missing 2 seasons in a row. I hope they wont go bankrupt by the time they will be ready to cruise again 

Cunard is owned solely by Carnival Cruise Line. IMO CCL is best posed to survive the cold lay up (I know there is a better term, but the press uses cold layup and it makes sense to most). Of course, the 8B investment from Saudi Arabia helps. It is doubtful any cruise line will sail before November anyway so this cancellation is just a formality. Remember CCL has already cancelled Holland America and Princess ships until 2021.

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/0PGDk6Om/cruise-line-suspends-all-sailings-to-the-us-and-canada-until-2021

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

TBH I'd prefer to write off the €200 deposit than to hand over several thousands of Euro final payment to MSC to "hold onto" for me against a future cruise.

Yet another drawback of European booking contracts compared to the much more favourable terms offered to US guests! (Yes, I am jealous).

I have my eye on a sailing in late Oct but not holding my breath. Had the misfortune to go through my photos from previous sailings recently and boy, would I pull the trigger if I knew for sure everything would be OK by then.

Late 2021 is the earliest we’d consider in the hope that things would be well settled by then -  including cruise schedules.  Currently looking at a Nov sailing as well as one in Feb 2022, the latter being the one I’d move the deposit we have at present to if MSC allows.  Will be checking that out in 3 weeks’ time.  If we lose it then I’ll wait til mid-October to book (which is when a FCC we have will expire).

Oh that's interesting Bea. I would sail much sooner, although would allow others to be the guinea pigs as to the 'new procedures' and await feedback on that before fully committing.

I would be conscious that it wouldn't be the experience I remembered, nor would I go expecting to visit any of the destinations - the ship would be the destination I think. Who would have thought it would come to this. 😔

If you click on the below attached link, there is a comment towards the end with a link to the Miami Herald for the entire article but reading what the CDC has stated, it looks as though there won’t be cruises out of the U.S before a vaccine. At least it doesn’t look as though the CDC is currently planing to put guidelines in place at this time. Cruise lines seems to be loading up on cash to keep idle for the next twelve to eighteen months. I assume that they know more than they’re telling. 

Also, MSC is not the only cruise line canceling after final payment. They’re using this as cash flow to help out. Not the right thing to do but some are doing it.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/cdc-cruise-lines-face-herculean-task-fighting-covid-19

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

Oh that's interesting Bea. I would sail much sooner, although would allow others to be the guinea pigs as to the 'new procedures' and await feedback on that before fully committing.

I would be conscious that it wouldn't be the experience I remembered, nor would I go expecting to visit any of the destinations - the ship would be the destination I think. Who would have thought it would come to this. 😔

Believe me, I'm missing cruising!!!  However, a couple of the MSC's ships haven't even been built yet which is impacting on next year's schedules.  My distrust of MSC keeps me from jumping in too soon.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Late 2021 is the earliest we’d consider in the hope that things would be well settled by then -  including cruise schedules.  Currently looking at a Nov sailing as well as one in Feb 2022, the latter being the one I’d move the deposit we have at present to if MSC allows.  Will be checking that out in 3 weeks’ time.  If we lose it then I’ll wait til mid-October to book (which is when a FCC we have will expire).

We booked a cruise out of Rome next September but on Azamara. MSC had the chance but they failed miserably on the way that they have handled refunds. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruisingator2 said:

... MSC is not the only cruise line canceling after final payment. They’re using this as cash flow to help out. Not the right thing to do but some are doing it.

My thoughts, exactly!

3 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

If you click on the below attached link, there is a comment towards the end with a link to the Miami Herald for the entire article but reading what the CDC has stated, it looks as though there won’t be cruises out of the U.S before a vaccine. At least it doesn’t look as though the CDC is currently planing to put guidelines in place at this time. Cruise lines seems to be loading up on cash to keep idle for the next twelve to eighteen months. I assume that they know more than they’re telling. 

Also, MSC is not the only cruise line canceling after final payment. They’re using this as cash flow to help out. Not the right thing to do but some are doing it.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/cdc-cruise-lines-face-herculean-task-fighting-covid-19

Oh heavens I hope we don’t have to wait 12-18 months. I think a lot of lines may have trouble staying a float for that long. 

ps- Is your name Gordon? 

Interesting, i have booked  yesterday two Cunard Cruises for 2021. One in May and one in November. I was thinking its long away and saver.

With MSC we will wait, we have two cancelled Cruises this year from MSC.

Next Week we will travel by car to Italy to visit our Family there.