Gratuities on ships with reduced capacity?

ipeeinthepool

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

The tips are pooled in Luminae and Blu because everyone there works together to make sure you have a good experience.  Not just your waiter.  For example, I mentioned to our Luminae bread guy that I liked Celebrity's brown bread.  He made a trip to the MDR every evening to get that for us after that.  Definitely service above and beyond.

As for tipping extra, I've decided to spend my $1200 from the government that I really didn't need by giving extra generous tips to those who wait on me in restaurants, cut my hair, etc. and will extend that to those who serve on the ships when we get to cruise again.

I don’t tip only my waiter. I often also tip the various assistants, the hostess, the maitre d, and the sommelier.  I would prefer to tip individually for the extra amounts as the level of service can be different.  I like your idea of what to do with your stimulus money!

15 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

If Celebrity decides to sail with fewer numbers of passengers will passengers increase the gratuities to maintain the same income for the staff?  For example, if the ship sails at 50% capacity will you double the amount of your gratuities?

My most recent cruse was the Reflection March 13th, 2020 sailing that was terminated on day #4 and returned to FLL abruptly.  We were 1200/1400mpassengers (I heard both numbers).   It did not feel like the crew/staff was reduced - but then that was very early in this mess and they had contracts.  The stunned  look on the crews' faces and their willingness to go above and beyond to please us was so evident that tipping beyond my norm was easy even though the length of the cruise was greatly reduced from 10 days to 4..  They are victims in this mess too.  I have never been taken care of better.  Cleaning protocols were above and beyond expectations even in those early days.  I felt safe in this crazy world.  I showed my appreciation.

• Like 1

In addition to the auto gratuities, I also tip extra at the end of the cruise to the cabin steward, waiter, and ass't waiter. Sometimes to the matre'd. I also tip bar servers per drink. Will I double my tipping? Probably not, but I probably wi;; tip extra, especially since I am classified as essential, and never lost hours on my job. I'm grateful for that.

21 hours ago, groryjm said:

agreed but some on this thread have sugested tpping a dollar or two to bar staff and servers. That is a practice that I think will have to stop for the safety of the crew

Why?  Afraid of virus spread on paper money?  If that is your point there is absolutely no evidence that this is a mode of transmission.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, groryjm said:

One thing to be bourne in mind in a post covid world is the acceptability of passing bits of paper around.  The idea of cashless economy has, out of nesesity become, closer to a reality in the last 3 months with contactless payments becoming much more of a norm. The idea of a handshake with a potentially infected note I think is going to start to disappear and crew may be more reluctant to accept small change in that way 

We have in the last 90 days learned as a society to avoid contact and I suspect that is a habit that will stay 

In the light of the pandemic as cruisers I suspect we will all accept a slight rise in grats and once rissen I imagine they will stay rissen

I don’t see the handshake going away myself. Nor cash...not scared

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I don’t see the handshake going away myself. Nor cash...not scared

I agree about the cash.  No way it is going away.

The handshake?  Not so much.  They haven't shook hands on Azamara in many years.

The crew are going to have to do "extra" cleaning now that was not part of the job before...if they have the same number of cabins they will be working harder than ever.  I have no doubt there will be protocols, ie, misting foggers that sanitize, that were never part of the job...… we will probably tip more, just as we have been doing in restaurants on land as they've opened.....most of the staff have been home with NO income....have no problem giving a bit more.....times are tough and I don't think reacting as though all is "status quo"  is how we would tip.....for sure not when ships first come back...