PreCruise Stay for Celebrity Reflection May 2021

Tell me about your pre-cruise stay before and Amsterdam Departure on Celebrity.   Did the embarkation take place at the Passenger Terminal Amsterdam or Felison Terminal. 

Where did you stay  pre-cruise?  

We are considering the Double Tree or the Hampton which are close to the cruise terminal, but wonder if we'd be better off staying closer to the museums and other attractions.  There is a Hilton that seems to be close to the attractions, but pretty far from the cruise port.    

Edited by WesternBroncoCruiser

Our preference would definitely be the DoubleTree. It's close to various transportation hubs making it quick and easy getting to most areas of the city. The Hop On Hop Off bus and HOHO canal cruise terminals are just a couple of minutes walk away, as is the Central Station with its quick travel to and from the airport. Last year we stayed just off Dam Square, but decided that next time we would definitely choose the DoubleTree.

We stayed at the Doubletree Centraal Station twice and enjoyed it. Two minute walk to the Centaal Station transportation hub, close to many nice restaurants and other tings to see and do and about a 15 minute walk to the ship.  The first time we had to take a cab from the ship to the hotel because one of us was on crutches and our friends who walked got there faster.  Second time we just left the hotel and took the nice walk.   

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

You might want to ask on the Ports of Call board that includes Amsterdam.

Trouble with that is there is not much activity on the port website or information is old. I’ve looked at different ports recently and not much there. I think for now you need to try on the forums that are more active, even the rolls calls I have looked at have little activity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WesternBroncoCruiser said:

Tell me about your pre-cruise stay before and Amsterdam Departure on Celebrity.   Did the embarkation take place at the Passenger Terminal Amsterdam or Felison Terminal. 

Where did you stay  pre-cruise?  

We are considering the Double Tree or the Hampton which are close to the cruise terminal, but wonder if we'd be better off staying closer to the museums and other attractions.  There is a Hilton that seems to be close to the attractions, but pretty far from the cruise port.    

If you haven’t been to Amsterdam it would be nice to stay at a hotel on the canals.

Another vote for the DoubleTree.  You may want to try some tours with "That Dam Guide" who offers small group tours.  Also impressed to ride in a Tesla from Schipol to the hotel.  Enjoy Amsterdam.  

6 minutes ago, BSinPNS said:

Another vote for the DoubleTree.  You may want to try some tours with "That Dam Guide" who offers small group tours.  Also impressed to ride in a Tesla from Schipol to the hotel.  Enjoy Amsterdam.  

Another vote for "That Damn Guide". The meeting point is at Starbucks at the DoubleTree, very convenient, but more importantly, they provide really top-notch tours. My review of the 6-hour Windmill tour:

We considered a number of windmill tours before deciding on That Dam Guide's Amsterdam Windmill Tour, and we were so happy that we made this choice. First, our guide, Rory, was one of the best tour guides we have experienced over the years, displaying a wonderful mix of knowledge, humour and patience. Somehow, a transplanted Irishman giving tours in the Dutch countryside seems a tad odd, but he carries it off with aplomb!

Secondly, the tour allows for a maximum of eight passengers, and it took very little time for everyone to get to know the other members of the group and enjoy the day's experiences as friends rather than strangers.

The tour takes you through the back roads and lanes of the countryside beyond Amsterdam, far from the crowded tourist traps and souvenir shops. The guided walk through the unspoiled harbour town of Monnickendam was wonderful, and the coffee and apple pie enjoyed in a café there were delicious. We visited a family dairy farm, maybe not a solely Dutch experience but enjoyable nevertheless. The last stop was for a guided tour through a 400-year-old working windmill at Schermerhorn, followed by a cheese and wine picnic.

Here's a third vote for That Dam Guide! Ours was an American who went to school in Amsterdam and never moved back home. He met us in front of Centraal Station and dropped us off near the Anne Frank House. His wife is also a guide with the company.

If you intend to tour the Anne Frank House (I highly recommend it) note that you can get your tickets online 6 months prior to your date and they sell out quickly. Procedures may have changed, but that's how it was in 2018. 

Those Dam Boat Guys gave a fantastic, private canal tour, picking us up at their usual spot, and dropping us at Centraal Station, at our request.

A ridiculously touristy, but also really fun thing to do is the This is Holland simulated flight experience (same technology as the Soarin' ride at Disney's California Adventure and one of the Disney parks in Orlando, but on steroids, with some museum-esque educational stuff before and after). We did this with the Over the Edge Swing atop the A'Dam tower as a combi- ticket. We were there with my brother's family and five "kids" aged 12-23, so these activities were especially fun, though all the parents enjoyed them too.

Oh, how I long to return to Amsterdam! 

Oh, how I long to go anywhere!

Edited to add that touring a centuries old working windmill, as Foremco mentioned, is an experience not to be missed! On the same out of town tour, through Tours By Locals, included a cheese farm where we also got to see wooded shoes being hand carved. Fascinating!

Edited by MamaFej
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, realnice46 said:

Trouble with that is there is not much activity on the port website or information is old. I’ve looked at different ports recently and not much there.

I couldn't agree more. Even in the "high time" of cruising, there was not much activity there. Of course I've always checked the "port of calls" (depends also which -- the "British Isles/Western Europe" has very helpful experts), but usually I've got more replies on the general forum....

21 hours ago, realnice46 said:

Trouble with that is there is not much activity on the port website or information is old. I’ve looked at different ports recently and not much there. I think for now you need to try on the forums that are more active, even the rolls calls I have looked at have little activity.

Are you on May 5, 2021 cruise?  I am supposed to be on June 12, 2020 cruise now.  We were booked at one of the Marriott Hotels in Amsterdam.  Still trying to recover from 2 canceled cruises in 2020 thus have not looked at hotels for 2021 yet.  Are you on the roll call?

5 hours ago, gerelmx said:

For our 2 night pre cruise, Reflection, July 2021, I choose the Marriott, 5 minute walk to the Museums & canal cruise in front of the hotel.

Which Marriott?  

1 hour ago, Snit13 said:

Are you on May 5, 2021 cruise?  I am supposed to be on June 12, 2020 cruise now.  We were booked at one of the Marriott Hotels in Amsterdam.  Still trying to recover from 2 canceled cruises in 2020 thus have not looked at hotels for 2021 yet.  Are you on the roll call?

We are on Constellation May 4, 2021  Best of Western out of Barcelona.Med. and  Reflection September 4,2021 Portugal,France & Spain out of Amsterdam. We too had cancelled cruises in April and September. Decided to give up on this year, even if they start in September I don’t think they will have all the kinks worked out.  Information is all over the place or none existent. I was just trying to find info on whether Constellation and Reflection will  be renovated before We cruise next year, I am on roll calls for cruises I listed.

Agree with the Doubletree Centraal Station - we took the train from Schipol and then walked to the hotel.  Location is great - we happily walked all over central Amsterdam for 4 days from that local.  This allowed us the chance to have meals and treats along the way with no regrets.

40 minutes ago, WesternBroncoCruiser said:

Just Checked out the Dam Boat Guys web site.   They must be struggling during this pandemic, but sure do have a good sense of humor about the whole thing.  

I haven't looked lately, but the site was pretty funny when I was looking for canal tours for 2018. Our sunset canal tour and guide were fantastic!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gerelmx said:

You are aware that there are multiple Marriott Hotels in Amsterdam, aren't you?  For canceled 2020 cruise we were booked at one pre cruise and a different one post cruise.  I was trying to get an answer to the one find out which one you were specifically referring to.  Sorry I asked.

• Like 1

We stayed at the Amsterdam Marriott before a river cruise in 2018.  We also plan to stay there prior to the Celebrity British Isles cruise out of Amsterdam on May 5, 2021.  Nice hotel.  Convenient location.  We took an Uber to the cruise pier.

Tom & Judy

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

You are aware that there are multiple Marriott Hotels in Amsterdam, aren't you?  For canceled 2020 cruise we were booked at one pre cruise and a different one post cruise.  I was trying to get an answer to the one find out which one you were specifically referring to.  Sorry I asked.

But there’s only one called the Amsterdam Marriott Hotel. It’s near the Museumplein. Easy walk to the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, etc. it would be a cab ride to the cruise terminal. 

44 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

Did you bother following the link? @gerelmx provided you with both the name and a link for the hotel he stayed at, just as you requested. While there are several other associated hotels, there is only one "Amsterdam Marriott Hotel".

• Like 3

I have another question.   Having never been to Amsterdam, I am trying to figure out if it would be possible to take a water taxi or chartered boat from a city center hotel to the cruise port.   I was thinking that this would just be a really unique way to see the canals of the city before we make our way to the ship.   I looked on google map and it is just hard to see where the ship embarks in realationship to the building and the eantrance and the canals.   I got a quote from one boat company who can pick us up at the Hilton, which is closer to the museum district, so we are leaning that way.  We have Hilton Points and can stay there for free, and we thought we'd see more of the city by staying there rather than the Double Tree or the Hampton.   The boat company said that they can drop us off right out side the Movenpick hotel.   I am just trying to figure if the logistics of trying to do this with luggage makes it a stupid idea.

How may days are you staying pre-cruise? Rather than taking a water taxi to the Movenpick as a means of seeing a small bit of the canal system, take a day or two to see it properly. Also bear in mind that many of the canal tours are HOHO with stops by many of the major museums, the Anne Frank House, and other sites of interest, so it's easy to combine activities. Your ticket also gets you on the HOHO bus to increase your possibilities. You don't need to stay in the museum district to visit the museums, and the DoubleTree is an ideal base location. We used this company: https://city-sightseeing.com/en/45/amsterdam/426/hop-on-hop-off-bus-amsterdam-boat

This screen capture shows the Movenpick with a cruise ship at the cruise terminal, the Central Station, the DoubleTree and various other points of interest:

1617485054_ScreenShot2020-06-16at12_39_43PM.thumb.png.fd2c8d697f51e6bd55b176b16fb2a329.png

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 6:39 PM, BSinPNS said:

Also another vote for the Doubletree. We stayed there pre Baltic cruise the summer of 2018. We liked the location, a short walk to Central station , tram terminal, tour boat dock and restaurants. It is near the cruise port & some people walked there. We also hired a Tesla for airport to hotel transportation.