Barcelona D.I.Y sightseeing advice

joeecco

Hi All

We are (hopefully!) doing a marella cruise that stops at Barcelona in October. I’ve never been before and would like to see all the main sights, I.e Sagrada Familia (not bothered about going inside), Las Ramblas, and Guell park is a must.

Marella excursions don’t include park Guell so we’re hoping for some tips and advice on best way to see it all on our own?

Thank you

Hi. You can get round Barcelona by taxi oe by using the metro. Get the bus provided to the bottom of las ramblas. From there, it's a few meters (maybe a bit more) to the metro stop. You can definitely get to Sagrada Familia on the metro, though you'll probably need to change trains and you can probably get to park guell as well. More information on the metro iq available online. Alternatively, you can take a taxi feom the bottom of las ramblas, though this will probably be more expensive. Don't get a taxi from where you get off the ship, as that will be more expensive. As far as I know, it would be possible to do both in one day, though you would need to plan your time and work out distances etc, bearing in mind allowing enough time to get back to the ship. Hope that helps. Thanks

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

The Barcelona Metro is a great way to get around, but you don't see anything in between stops.  For a first visit, I recommend the Hop On Hop Off bus:

https://www.hoponhopoffbarcelona.org/routes/

The Blue route goes to all the places you mentioned, with a two-hour loop.  Walk up Las Ramblas from the Columbus statue to Plaça Catalunya, take the Blue Route to Sagrada Familia and Park Guëll, then back to Plaça Catalunya.  Switch to the Red Route to see Plaça d'Espanya and Montjuic, then the Red Route takes you back to the Columbus statue [you're only doing half of the Red route, so about an hour].  That leaves plenty of time to get off the bus and visit Park Gueil and Montjuic.

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The Barcelona Metro is a great way to get around, but you don't see anything in between stops.  For a first visit, I recommend the Hop On Hop Off bus:

https://www.hoponhopoffbarcelona.org/routes/

The Blue route goes to all the places you mentioned, with a two-hour loop.  Walk up Las Ramblas from the Columbus statue to Plaça Catalunya, take the Blue Route to Sagrada Familia and Park Guëll, then back to Plaça Catalunya.  Switch to the Red Route to see Plaça d'Espanya and Montjuic, then the Red Route takes you back to the Columbus statue [you're only doing half of the Red route, so about an hour].  That leaves plenty of time to get off the bus and visit Park Gueil and Montjuic.

That is absolutely brilliant, thank you ever such a lot for that that is SUCH a help! Thanks again! 

I would suggest you go to Parc Guell first as it's furthest away from the ship and I recommend you buy your entrance tickets in advance as entry is controlled to limit the numbers in the park. I would book an early entrance time and use a taxi to get there.

There are taxis at the port and at all the major tourist attractions. From Parc Guell it's only a five minute drive to Sagrada Familia. I know you said you're not bothered about going inside but I highly recommend you do, the inside really is worth seeing. From SF you can take a taxi or use the metro to go to Placa de Catalunya and begin the walk down Las Ramblas.

• 4 weeks later...

Barcelona is very easy to get around on public transportation.  We use an app called Moovit which has subway/bus/train/walking directions with time tables, etc, for every major city we've been to so far.  Very helpful.  Transit in Barcelona was clean, safe, and efficient.

• Like 1

For Parc Guell you will need a timed ticket so work around that time.  I would recommend starting there and taking a taxi from the port.  Next go to Sagrada Familia (via taxi).  Since you are not going inside you will not need a timed ticket. The reason I suggest taxi is that the cost is reasonable and it takes you directly from point to point maximizing your time there.

Barcelona metro system is great but if you want to get to Parc Guell.... don't do it.  Get a timed ticket for the park and plan on taking a taxi as mskaufman has already suggested.  Otherwise, you'll have a fair amount of walking to do and will be spending far too much time just trying to get around.

• Like 1

Be well aware the Parc Guell  ticket is also STRICTLY timed.   You miss your time slot-  the ticket is worthless.    So, plan your time-  accurately.   I simply take the 24 bus,  directly there and use buses and  metros.    But,  with only a very limited port day-   the cab-  FROM the cruise port-  is the way you should go,  to be able to include your list.   

I must also add to go inside la Sagrada Familia!  It is one of the most stunning cathedrals with amazing stained glass.   Words don’t do it justice.  Although we enjoyed Parc Guell it pales in comparison.  Book a timed ticket for it and no line ups and use taxis, they aren’t that expensive and are far superior to the hop on hop off, we’ve done both. 

4B1ACF9B-E573-4C4F-A222-AFCEAC7E09C3.jpeg

D87FB555-9273-4F31-83C3-BC130B75B7F7.jpeg

036B80A0-BBCB-4BC8-9524-5C1CB8475EF8.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1

I am very picky when I go to Sagrada Família.   I want a full sunny day.   So, I don't book way ahead.   I only book a few days ahead-  after there are fairly predictable weather reports.   🙂       A significant element is the stained glass.   🙂   

2 hours ago, mskaufman said:

There are all kinds of angles on the inside.  It looks different in the morning and afternoon.  The first picture was taken mid-day.  The second, first thing in the morning.IMG_4402.thumb.JPG.bf640e70b726249ed977ce9a4f09d2b8.JPGIMG_7552.thumb.JPG.2f4954ad8cb3d9912fa61121a349dafe.JPG

Stunning! Anytime!

• 2 weeks later...

One way to save a few Euros with the Metro is to purchase a "T-10" ticket which is actually 10 separate tickets for less than 10Euros.  It is actually less then half price when compared to purchasing regular tickets and you can split those T-10 tickets among multiple users.   We find it makes a lot more sense for a couple then getting sucked into the 1 day tourist ticket unless you plan on using the Metro a heck of a lot in one day.  

Hank

25 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

One way to save a few Euros with the Metro is to purchase a "T-10" ticket which is actually 10 separate tickets for less than 10Euros.  It is actually less then half price when compared to purchasing regular tickets and you can split those T-10 tickets among multiple users.   We find it makes a lot more sense for a couple then getting sucked into the 1 day tourist ticket unless you plan on using the Metro a heck of a lot in one day.  

Hank

There is also a group ticket, t-familiar, that does groups as it is meant for families depending on how many you are. 

Barcelona has cheap taxis relative to other  places. As others mentioned get the timed ticket for the park as it is away from everything and start there. Then cab or metro/bus to the others. I recommend going inside S.F. , but I wouldn't do two times tickets in one day as it rushes you, or give yourself 5ish hours in between. Google maps can route you on how to take public transportation, but it will also give you a taxi fare estimate and the time to get there. I am a fan of public transportation, but not when a taxi cuts my time in half.

Edited by bearette

11 hours ago, bearette said:

There is also a group ticket, t-familiar, that does groups as it is meant for families depending on how many you are. 

Barcelona has cheap taxis relative to other  places. As others mentioned get the timed ticket for the park as it is away from everything and start there. Then cab or metro/bus to the others. I recommend going inside S.F. , but I wouldn't do two times tickets in one day as it rushes you, or give yourself 5ish hours in between. Google maps can route you on how to take public transportation, but it will also give you a taxi fare estimate and the time to get there. I am a fan of public transportation, but not when a taxi cuts my time in half.

Speaking of Barcelona taxis, we have twice had taxis try to rip us off (not uncommon for taxis anywhere in the world).  In Barcelona the taxis do have meters which can give folks a false sense of calm.  But the meters have two  (perhaps more) interesting settings not know by most visitors.  One setting lets them change an overall code (as from #1 to #2) which changes the metered fare.  For example, they have a setting for daytime rates and another setting for the much more expensive nighttime rates.  We have had a taxi try to use that nighttime code for a mid-day run from BCN into town.  Another gimmick is that the meter has a button the driver can push to increase the fare for extra luggage, extra fees, etc.  So, for example, each push of the button increases the fare for an extra piece of luggage and the driver can keep pushing that button which keeps increasing the fare.  We once had a driver try to charge us for 8 extra pieces of luggage when we only had two small carry-on pieces.  

Hank

On 8/5/2020 at 7:26 PM, Hlitner said:

Hank

As of 01 January 2020, the T10 ticket transport ticket was discontinued and replaced by the T-Casual ticket. You can still use it on the subways, buses, trains of the FGC (Catalan commuter trains) and trams in Barcelona and the price is 10 rides for 11.35 Euro. The main difference seems to be that you can no longer share the ticket with another person if you are both traveling at the same time. If you want to travel at the same time with another person on one ticket, you need to get the T-Familiar (8 trips for 10 Euro).

• Thanks 1