August start-up

I am assuming most of these cruises will be Caribbean routes? If so according to an article I read a lot of the islands want to renegotiate their contracts with the cruise lines. You have to wonder if if everything will be settled by August🙄.

No surprise. My guess is that it will be extended several more times.

I mean really, what is different with the covid situation between March and where were are now in June.  Nothing whatsoever other than the name of the month.

If anything, it appears as thought the incidence of covid is increasing and the victims are in younger age groups.

I cannot imagine that the cruise lines are exited about starting up despite their respective financial predicaments  They are well aware of what a covid outbreak on ship would do to the industry.  Cannot imagine why they would want to chance this.  Especially in North America where the incidence of covid is on the rise and many of our politicians are spouting advice that is contrary to what our public health care professions are saying.    Surely science wins over politically inspired comments.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, iancal said:

I mean really, what is different with the covid situation between March and where were are now in June.  Nothing whatsoever other than the name of the month.

If anything, it appears as thought the incidence of covid is increasing and the victims are in younger age groups.

I cannot imagine that the cruise lines are exited about starting up despite their respective financial predicaments  They are well aware of what a covid outbreak on ship would do to the industry.  Cannot imagine why they would want to chance this.  Especially in North America where the incidence of covid is on the rise and many of our politicians are spouting advice that is contrary to what our public health care professions are saying.    Surely science wins over politically inspired comments.

The young were locked down and as generalization they are lower risk and more carefree and we see the results.

As to the cruising demographics, older-higher to highest risk, put that together with a lot of asymptomatic spreaders likely everywhere right now ( sans mask too ), makes for high risk gathering on a cruise ship a very explosive gathering IMHO.

Agree that cruise folks know well another Diamond/Zaandaam and their future is finished

• Like 1

5 hours ago, iancal said:

I cannot imagine that the cruise lines are exited about starting up despite their respective financial predicaments 

Has this been brought up? Wouldn't the cruise lines have legal liability if they know they really shouldn't start up but do it any way. I mean this isn't a rally in Tulsa where you have to sign a waiver.

I find it interesting that people who pooh-pooh the risks are so willing to ignore that we don't know anything yet about the long-term effects of this virus. But the correlation with increasing incidence of other debilitating diseases in children and young adults who contracted Covid-19 indicates that even those not "vulnerable" may have serious health consequences. 

"Recovery" and "no effects" are not necessarily synonymous. More data is needed, and I fear the virus is an iceberg in terms of the amount of information we do not see yet.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

More data is needed, and I fear the virus is an iceberg in terms of the amount of information we do not see yet.

That's what I've been saying. Data and data and more data. And it's gonna take quite a while...but that IS just my opinion.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, clo said:

That's what I've been saying. Data and data and more data. And it's gonna take quite a while...but that IS just my opinion.

We've been on the same page since late January, IIRC!  🤜🤛

• Like 1

14 hours ago, clo said:

Has this been brought up? Wouldn't the cruise lines have legal liability if they know they really shouldn't start up but do it any way. I mean this isn't a rally in Tulsa where you have to sign a waiver.

Hi

Absolutely. As well as deciding that it is OK for passengers to travel, they have a responsibility to their employees. Everybody on board will be clear. They can't go anywhere to pick up or let off people where there is a significant outbreak. That seems so clear. At this time, are there any retail environments where the employees aren't shielded?  Just like all the other issues the companies are facing, you can't stay in business if your employees keep getting sick.

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2020 at 4:19 PM, gerryuk said:

Well the state of emergency in Spain officially ends tomorrow, however the Spanish government have announced that their cruise ports are to remain closed indefinitely. 

As far as Spain are concerned they do have something of a history for changing "indefinite" to "ends tomorrow" overnight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/19/2020 at 1:53 PM, iancal said:

Carl Bergstrom, biologist and professor at the University of Washington in Seattle,  has stated that “science is an inherently political activity”.

17 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Carl Bergstrom, biologist and professor at the University of Washington in Seattle,  has stated that “science is an inherently political activity”.

He is trying to get the science to win. Have to give him credit for that 🤗

Science, politics and trolls: How Carl Bergstrom became a voice of clarity on the coronavirus

Edited by ilikeanswers