Cruising during and post COVID-19

Like it or not, it certainly looks like they have covered practically everything. I do believe that every cruise line will adopt some version of these protocols in the near future. I cannot imagine them varying much among the different lines. Truthfully, most of the procedures seem very logical. I am not sure what the alternatives would look like. Anyone booking a cruise today has got to expect some version of this.

Costa is quite emphatic about the wearing of masks. Fortunately, when dining, at the pool, etc, there are no such requirements.

Anyone considering a cruise will need to decide for themselves whether these are procedures they can accept or not.

Just read the document. Even if they offered me a cruise for free I wouldnt go under those requirements. They make it clear you can't socialize with other passengers , even if both parties want to do that. I'll miss cruising but what I saw described there didnt sound like an enjoyable vacation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, snorkle lover said:

Can't quite see spending lots of $$$ for this type of experience. 😞

Agree. Glad I went for the cash refund vs getting FCC's if this is what cruising will look like for the foreseeable future. Hopefully things will get much better and they can relax many of these requirements. It will be interesting to see how they police compliance because you know there will be people on every cruise who won't follow the guidelines. Today they often look the other way when passengers don't follow non COVID guidelines. 

• Like 2

For cruise lines that decide to sail prior to a vaccine I think we will see protocols like this. They might even go further and require a rapid Covid 19 test priot to sailing. US citizens may have a problem as we have large numbers of Covid. The county in Georgia I live in has the highest number in the state. Our state is one of many having an uptick. I would not want me on your cruise right now. Our neighborhood pool just opened and many not open yet. Many people including myself wearing masks. These are tough times for the cruise line to decide the risk of sailing. I know Regent would love to be sailing if they felt it was safe.

We are in Georgia too so I understand what you are saying.  We also wear our masks and social distance as best we can.

My hope is that in a year from this September, there will be a vaccine and we will feel safe getting back to cruising.

• Like 1

I really don’t think it’s “that” bad. You can sit by the pool and you don’t need a mask. The bars are open. There will be shows and I guess you need a mask. But nobody is forcing you to see a show. 

Walking thru public areas of course wear a mask. 

Is it the perfect vacation? No but some will accept it and enjoy it. 

I think if you have a balcony it really isn’t that bad. 

• Like 1

We would rather be sailing on a ship, eating great food, being pampered, enjoying live entertainment, enjoying and relaxing etc.....Wearing masks and social distancing is ok.
It’s certainly better than sitting at home, being afraid to dine in crowded restaurants, wearing a mask and social distancing while shopping, cooking and cleaning, watching TV and simply being bored, etc. 
Fortunately, we live in Florida and just have to drive to the port. 
Just my opinion....

Sheila

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Like it or not, it certainly looks like they have covered practically everything. I do believe that every cruise line will adopt some version of these protocols in the near future. I cannot imagine them varying much among the different lines. Truthfully, most of the procedures seem very logical. I am not sure what the alternatives would look like. Anyone booking a cruise today has gcouot to expect some version of this.

Costa is quite emphatic about the wearing of masks. Fortunately, when dining, at the pool, etc, there are no such requirements.

Anyone considering a cruise will need to decide for themselves whether these are procedures they can accept or not.

All of the requirements will be identical and based on agreements between CLIA and the CDC plus other countries health organizations.  The agreement will be between CDC/other National Health Organizations and CLIA and all CLIA member cruise lines will follow these agreements.  While cruise lines will be involved in the protocols thru CLIA only a single agreement that all CLIA member cruise lines will follow,

• Like 1

Interesting protocols in the Costa flyer, and several haven't been discussed among cruise critic that I have seen.  RSSC  and other lines will probably implement things similar to these and all eyes will be on the first ships out to see how they work.  My thoughts:  Only sitting at dinner with family or people you are traveling with will impact many people who enjoy sitting with different people.  Multiple shows; we may finally get to see some more shows, since we can't stay up as late as we use to.  Not having any buffets doesn't bother me, except many times being able to have a quick lunch is important which I hope cruise lines will have that issue figured out.  We will miss not being able to sit at the bar and get to know the bar staff.

I am sure all of the protocols will be tweaked and updated as they get used.  Hopefully people on the first ships to sail will be able to do day by day reports.

On 6/18/2020 at 7:49 AM, howiefrommd said:

Costa appears to be the first cruise line that has set forth their operational structure when cruising resumes.  

Can you imagine the following?

http://www.sailcosta.com/8115_Safety/8115.03_FAQs.pdf

It looks like Costa put a lot of thought in to this.  It is nothing that I didn't expect.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

Just read the document. Even if they offered me a cruise for free I wouldnt go under those requirements. They make it clear you can't socialize with other passengers , even if both parties want to do that. I'll miss cruising but what I saw described there didnt sound like an enjoyable vacation.

Where does it say you can't socialize with other passengers?  I have read it twice?

These phrases, as well as no actual drinking at the bars, led me, at least, to think that casual passenger interaction between 'strangers' will not be very common - masks and adequate physical distancing if you are not already related to another party seems to be the order of the day.  Not, let's have a drink or dinner with this couple I just met this morning type of socialization. 

Now, how they're defining guests traveling together is ambiguous to me - unrelated people in the same cabin?  groups who had booked linked cabins at the same time?  I think they're trying to keep guests in 'germ bubbles' of already related individuals, but unsure.  Also unsure whether this has been approved by the CDC, to tell the truth.  

space between seats at the tables and between the tables themselves have been designed for you to enjoy your meal safely. Only members of the same family and guests traveling together will be allowed to sit together at the same table.

Meals and drinks, in restaurants or at the bar, will be served exclusively at the table

Edited by greykitty

About a month ago--and on a different, but related Thread (can't remember the exact one) I posted a summary of Uniworld's new COVID-19 guidelines.  Have done series of river cruises w/Uniworld in France; were scheduled for another round later this Summer on that 5+ quality Line.  Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, Uniworld canceled everything in Europe.   

A more definitive description of COVID-19 related Protocols is given on Uniworld's website.  Not surprisingly, Costa's are very similar.  Realize we are comparing river boats with capacities (Uniworld and most-others) in the 135 to 165 passenger level to ocean vessels, whether those be in Costa's category, or Regent's "economy size".  Nonetheless, there is a similarity in Protocol descriptions which are driven by Government requirements. 

There will be a new reality to "cruising", whether that venue be on the Rhine or Seine; or on a Regent ship in the 'Med.  It will be easier to accommodate ourselves (personal opinion) to the New Regent requirement(s).  Hopefully, having had two Regent 2020 cruises already canceled, we will have an opportunity to experience this new experience next April-May aboard Explorer.

GOARMY!

• Thanks 1

DW & I were booked on the Oct 5-12 b2b, Mariner, my fav. Mexico and around.

It would seem that this cruise may still sail. Would be interested in pax views still booked on this cruise. Any thoughts on current, I do not like the term, restrictions, but some may well be into effect on this cruise.

I did cancel this one before final payment. Back in May. Deposit refunded almost immediately. Used 200 for Jan.
Have a booked cruise, before all this has happened, 1/26/21 b2b with 2/5/21. Splendor, first time. I do hope this sails, with less restrictions. Plus, 1000.00 OBC per segment. Read, nice wines.😀 We are usually a single couple, unless good times in the lounges. Then, maybe a dinner shared. 
I want to cruise, but I want everybody to be safe, and enjoy their Regent experience, as it should be.

19 minutes ago, Mjflowers said:

It would seem that this cruise may still sail. Would be interested in pax views still booked on this cruise.

We’re booked on the Oct 22 Mariner sailing, and have final payment date looming next week.  Still undecided, but leaning towards making payment.  Despite the significant changes, still thinking it is a relatively safe way to get away.  The posting that was floating around showing the NCLH relaunch dates I’ve decided to ignore as unconfirmed and in a fluid situation - believing it is anyone’s guess whether October sailings are possible.  

We are still booked on Mariner for Oct. 12.  Three days ago, after our final payment deadline and onset of penalties, I decided to see how full the ship is, along with the Oct. 5 and Oct. 22 sailings.  I may be mistaken, but I think some people may have a final payment deadline in July instead of June.  All are now ~1/3 or less full:

• Oct. 5 is 24% booked.
  • Oct. 12 is 34% booked.
  • Oct. 22 is 29% booked (still before June final payment deadline).

This will make it easy to maintain social distancing, so from that standpoint these 3 itineraries would be great for Regent to start with.  But Regent might decide  that this is just a little too much social distancing, and cancel them anyway, especially in light of what Mariner is scheduled for in November & December.

I know the subsequent cruises to circumnavigate South America will probably not be possible, but Regent could instead add some more West Coast and/or Caribbean itineraries, along with a Panama Canal crossing.  Crystal just did something similar, moving their fall Canadian itineraries to the Caribbean and it sounds like they are selling well.  Of course, this is with the help of great terms and bargain pricing.  To me, this makes more sense than keeping Mariner off line until Jan. 5 for the World Cruise.

I think if they were to open up such itineraries, that they would sell, just as they have been selling for Crystal.  Since they are keeping Mariner in Oakland now, it is positioned to start in California in October.  But California may not be ready, and Regent did not ask my opinion.  Which is probably just as well because they know their business a lot better than I do.  😁 

At this point, I think it is getting less and less likely that Mariner will sail with passengers in October, November, or December.  The list that has been circulating just adds one more piece of evidence for this prediction.

Edited by SusieQft
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are on the October 12 sailing.   If the Mariner sails we will be on the ship.   I think the odds of sailing are decreasing every week. I say it has about a 40% chance.  I have been an operating room nurse for 46 years. Wearing a mask is second nature to me. We have a big suite and I can picture us sitting out on the balcony most of the time.   I’m ready to be your guinea pig!   Just keep the margaritas flowing!  Please let it sail!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crusin7 said:

We are on the October 12 sailing.   If the Mariner sails we will be on the ship.   I think the odds of sailing are decreasing every week. I say it has about a 40% chance.  I have been an operating room nurse for 46 years. Wearing a mask is second nature to me. We have a big suite and I can picture us sitting out on the balcony most of the time.   I’m ready to be your guinea pig!   Just keep the margaritas flowing!  Please let it sail!

I will be there too if it sails, and the low occupancy actually make me more comfortable with that.  Until recently I was giving it 50-50, but now I am convinced it is much less chance than that.

3 hours ago, greykitty said:

space between seats at the tables and between the tables themselves have been designed for you to enjoy your meal safely. Only members of the same family and guests traveling together will be allowed to sit together at the same table.

Meals and drinks, in restaurants or at the bar, will be served exclusively at the table

We often go with groups of friends; our next trip has over 30 of us.  If we can't change dinner partners every evening seems pretty bad.  I wonder if "guests traveling together" could be considered all guests under one "group" booking?

Time will tell.

Marc