"Nickel and Diming" Overuse

31 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

I have never booked the MDR either before or after getting on the ship, unless I have been in a larger party (say 6 or more).  If I am doing a dinner in the MDR, I show up when I am ready to eat and am usually seated within 5 minutes. The prebooking is for the specialty restaurants and only on my last cruise did I need to go make some changes once onboard.  Now IF you want to prebook MDR, you can usually do so on the phone prior to boarding or on the first day on the ship.

I agree, we don't make reservations for the MDR unless we have a group.  When we've had five or more people, the restaurant reservations staff has encouraged us to make MDR reservations so that we don't have a wait when we arrive.  But if it is just two of us, we've never had a long wait at the MDR.  

32 minutes ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

That's not just down to being a "newbie", that's down to choosing to remain uninformed.  We have friends that have been on 5+ cruises that are still this way because they make the choice not to educate themselves.

I would say "Welcome to America".....but I have seen just as many foreign guests ***** and moan about this as those from the good old USA...   And remember EVERY one of these people are indignant, vocal, and LOVE to post their grievances.  

Hey, it makes good theater anyway!  😁

2 hours ago, FredT said:

But THATS the issue.   The average Cruise critic poster (us ) has been on enough cruises to know what to expect.  But remember that only 10% of the American public has EVER been on a cruise.  And if you're only exposure is the glossy brochures that tout how "all inclusive" cruises are.....  THAT is where the "nickel and Dime " is coming from.  

And of those 10% how many do you even know about CC to even research?  I cruise often and ask people about CC and they have no idea.  And after many cruises.  You would think that if someone enjoyed something often that they would try to get there biggest bang for their buck.  Maybe even save some money.  Or just let someone else handle it.  Some people learn the hard way by spending more than they should have.  And still cruise.  Then they do find CC only to complain that they didn't know about the so called nickel and diming.  I paid full price many many years ago and have since learned how to try to get my Biggest Bang for my Buck.✌️

• Like 2

On 6/20/2020 at 10:51 AM, MNcruisingcouple said:

It is time to discuss something besides when cruising is coming back or whether your refund is coming or not coming.   

I have been reading CC for several years, particularly the NCL board.   My wife and I have been on many NCL and RCCL cruises and have never been surprised at the bill at the end, except if a mistake was made.   I have never seen the expression “Nickel and Diming” as much as on this board.  I do not understand the overuse of the expression.  I think it is a bad excuse for not doing your research before a cruise, so you know what is included and what is not.  I do not hear the expression used with airlines, who are the kings of that concept, with every airline having different policies as to what is included and what is charged.  NCL clearly states what is included and what isn’t, if you bother to look at their website before you go and if you bother to keep track of what you are buying throughout your cruise.   I know some will agree and some will disagree.  But with no one cruising now people could do the research about each cruise line or the different options a certain line offers.  Then they could have the right cruise to maximize their vacation.   Done ranting!!   Happy cruising everyone!!!  

Nice topic.✌️

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Love my butler said:

The other side of the coin is called DECEPTIVE BUSINESS PRACTICES.  NCL has honed it to a fine art.

More than using the phrase "Nickel & Diming" what I TRULY don't understand is all the NCL-haters on the NCL boards.

Every time I see a negative post (like the one I quoted) I just want to reply "WHY ARE YOU HERE?"  If people do not like NCL's business practices, why do they cruise NCL and/or frequent NCL online forums (and some of these folks are FREQUENT posters!)

If I thought Disney theme parks were a rip-off, and that Disney had deceptive business practices, the LAST PLACE ON EARTH you would find me is following Disney online forums (and being a frequent poster at that!)

So, I take the "hater" posts as folks who either work for another cruise line or people who thrive on spreading negativity.  And I just scroll by.

Edited by pcakes122
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I think Cagneys with with SDP is an example of NCL nickel and diming. If you read the T&C of the SDP (doing your research) it states that there is a limit of one entree included. It does not list any other limits. When you get to the restaurant, your waiter tells you there is a limited of one Appy and one desert and 2 sides. If you want more you have to pay. Then you look at the menu and see that some appy's and some entree have an added fee over and about the SDP that you already paid for. To me, that is nickel and dining.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, electro said:

I think Cagneys with with SDP is an example of NCL nickel and diming. If you read the T&C of the SDP (doing your research) it states that there is a limit of one entree included. It does not list any other limits. When you get to the restaurant, your waiter tells you there is a limited of one Appy and one desert and 2 sides. If you want more you have to pay. Then you look at the menu and see that some appy's and some entree have an added fee over and about the SDP that you already paid for. To me, that is nickel and dining.

This has never happened to us with the SDP.  Only with the Platinum meal perk are there additional restrictions.  If you are told otherwise and know what the T&C say, then call out the waiter on it.  If you don't, then that's your own fault.  Sometimes there is confusion between the SDP and the Platinum meal.  

There are plenty of menu pictures on CC to show you ahead of time that there are a few items that have an upcharge.  It shouldn't be a surprise, if you do your research.  

24 minutes ago, electro said:

When you get to the restaurant, your waiter tells you there is a limited of one Appy and one desert and 2 sides

This is simply poor training of the servers, or the servers getting the SDP and Platinum certificates mixed up.  The computer they use should know that if SDP is used the entree is the only limit.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, electro said:

I don't know who your servers were, but this is not the case with the SDP.

5 minutes ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

This has never happened to us with the SDP.  Only with the Platinum meal perk are there additional restrictions.  If you are told otherwise and know what the T&C say, then call out the waiter on it.  If you don't, then that's your own fault.  Sometimes there is confusion between the SDP and the Platinum meal.  

There are plenty of menu pictures on CC to show you ahead of time that there are a few items that have an upcharge.  It shouldn't be a surprise, if you do your research.  

It has happened to us on Breakaway and Epic. It was not being confused with the Platinum perk. There are many people on this board who have said they were told the same thing.

You should not have to "call out" your waiter. They should know and follow the T&C's.

I did tell the waiter (even though I shouldn't have had to) that that was not what the T&C says, the response was that they are told to say that by their supervisor.

It is not "your own fault" that NCL intentionally tells their staff to tell the customers something that in not part of the T&C just so they can get a few extra $ out of someone who doesn't know the T&C's or just doesn't want to ruin the dining experience by confronting the wait staff.

10 minutes ago, electro said:

It has happened to us on Breakaway and Epic. It was not being confused with the Platinum perk. There are many people on this board who have said they were told the same thing.

How much was your nickel and dimed up charge?  Not what many people have posted in the past.

15 minutes ago, electro said:

You should not have to "call out" your waiter. They should know and follow the T&C's.

I did tell the waiter (even though I shouldn't have had to) that that was not what the T&C says, the response was that they are told to say that by their supervisor.

It is not "your own fault" that NCL intentionally tells their staff to tell the customers something that in not part of the T&C just so they can get a few extra $ out of someone who doesn't know the T&C's or just doesn't want to ruin the dining experience by confronting the wait staff.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that this never happens.  I was only speaking to our own experience.  And I agree that no one should have to call out their waiter.

However, if you know the T&Cs and don't call them out, then you are allowing NCL to not follow their own rules.  That is on you.  If enough people continually call them out and speak to the food and beverage manager, perhaps the issue would resolve.  Allowing it to continue unaddressed and then coming on CC to complain about nickel and diming isn't going to solve anything.

We experienced something similar with our Premium Plus Beverage pkg.  Because so many people have the Premium Bev pkg, waiters sometimes didn't think we could receive what we requested.  We had to specifically point out that we had the Premium Plus.  We didn't just accept what said, we knew what we had paid for and kindly pointed that out.  Once we did, they were happy to accommodate us.  And we had some of the best bartenders/waiters on that cruise.  

• Like 1

With either the Platinum or SDP I have always received what I asked for.  If there was any confusion,  I would ask to talk to the Maitre D.  I have had policies change after only being off the ship for only a month.  We have always come to an understanding.  How much food can one eat one night on a seven day cruise.  Or for that matter...every night.  Better yet...every breakfast and lunch.✌️

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, pickle11 said:

How much was your nickel and dimed up charge?  Not what many people have posted in the past.

What the cost is doesn't matter. The point is that NCL has one thing in it's T&C and tells you something different in person to discourage you from ordering extra.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pickle11 said:

Not one of them mentioned a Nickel and dimed up charge $$$$.

No, and I never said they did. I said that it was, In MY opinion, an example of Nickel and diming. I posted the link in response to someone saying that it has never happened to them just to show that I am not the only one who has been told this, and it was not one waiters misinterpration of the rules.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

With either the Platinum or SDP I have always received what I asked for.  If there was any confusion,  I would ask to talk to the Maitre D.  I have had policies change after only being off the ship for only a month.  We have always come to an understanding.  How much food can one eat one night on a seven day cruise.  Or for that matter...every night.  Better yet...every breakfast and lunch.✌️

Sounds more like you got a personal favor from the Maitre D since there are limits for Platinum.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that this never happens.  I was only speaking to our own experience.  And I agree that no one should have to call out their waiter.

However, if you know the T&Cs and don't call them out, then you are allowing NCL to not follow their own rules.  That is on you.  If enough people continually call them out and speak to the food and beverage manager, perhaps the issue would resolve.  Allowing it to continue unaddressed and then coming on CC to complain about nickel and diming isn't going to solve anything.

We experienced something similar with our Premium Plus Beverage pkg.  Because so many people have the Premium Bev pkg, waiters sometimes didn't think we could receive what we requested.  We had to specifically point out that we had the Premium Plus.  We didn't just accept what said, we knew what we had paid for and kindly pointed that out.  Once we did, they were happy to accommodate us.  And we had some of the best bartenders/waiters on that cruise.  

I agree that people need  to say something but that fact is that they shouldn't have to.

People are very quick to say you shouldn't complain about something because it is "in the contract you signed" or it is in the T&C's you agreed to, yet they have seem to have no issue if NCL is the one that doesn't follow it's own T&C's. Why are the customs held to the contract but NCL is not?

1 minute ago, electro said:

I agree that people need  to say something but that fact is that they shouldn't have to.

People are very quick to say you shouldn't complain about something because it is "in the contract you signed" or it is in the T&C's you agreed to, yet they have seem to have no issue if NCL is the one that doesn't follow it's own T&C's. Why are the customs held to the contract but NCL is not?

I completely agree that you shouldn't have to say something but if you don't then you are letting them get away with it.  Maybe if enough people call them out on it, managers will stop telling the waiters to do this.  

13 minutes ago, electro said:

What the cost is doesn't matter. The point is that NCL has one thing in it's T&C and tells you something different in person to discourage you from ordering extra.

It doesn't matter because you have never been charged.  Nobody has been charged.✌️

4 hours ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

I understand what you are saying, but how is that any different than any companies marketing plan?  Of course they are going to want to squeeze extra money out of people; they are in the business of making money.  Look at airlines who charge for every little thing (choosing a seat, food, drinks, bags, even carry on bags).  Look at a grocery store that puts candy, soda, chips at checkout.  NCL is no different.  Its up to each individual to be informed and know what they are willing to pay for.  

LOL, a comparison like this is ridiculous. The items at a grocery store checkout are for sale like all other items in the store.

Edited by IrieBajan54
add text

11 minutes ago, IrieBajan54 said:

Sounds more like you got a personal favor from the Maitre D since there are limits for Platinum.

You have no idea what I order to get my request.  But thanks for playing the game.✌️

10 minutes ago, IrieBajan54 said:

I have paid a small difference a few times with the Platinum voucher-  NO big deal,  and the generosity of this perk-  I'm expecting changes in the future.   They are perfectly within reason to place any limits they want on a FREE perk.     I have no sympathy for people who whine about everything  not being included.    Good grief.