"Nickel and Diming" Overuse

3 minutes ago, IrieBajan54 said:

LOL, a comparison like this is ridiculous. The items at a grocery store checkout are for sale like all items in the store.

My point of using that comparison is that every business has a marketing plan to get more of your dollars.  Stores intentionally put items in certain locations to get customers to spend more.  It isn't a tactic that is unique to cruise companies.  

1 minute ago, Budget Queen said:

I have paid a small difference a few times with the Platinum voucher-  NO big deal,  and the generosity of this perk-  I'm expecting changes in the future.   They are perfectly within reason to place any limits they want on a FREE perk.     I have no sympathy for people who whine about everything  not being included.    Good grief.  

Hey girl.  Do you believe this.  All about nickel and diming.  There are a lot of experienced rookies out there.  We learn from experience.  Common courtesy help too.✌️🙂

6 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

Hey girl.  Do you believe this.  All about nickel and diming.  There are a lot of experienced rookies out there.  We learn from experience.  Common courtesy help too.✌️🙂

I think it more like something pathetic  to hash about-  because- 

you and me-  would normally be sailing Alaska.  🙂 🙂  🙂

I actually plan on getting there  mid August.    Care to join me?   🙂    

2 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

I think it more like something pathetic  to hash about-  because- 

you and me-  would normally be sailing Alaska.  🙂 🙂  🙂

I actually plan on getting there  mid August.    Care to join me?   🙂    

Thinking about it.  It is between driving and visiting my daughter in Michigan or flying to Juneau and take the ferry to Hoonah for a week.   I love it there.  Maybe go fishing off Point Adolphus.🤞✌️

22 minutes ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

My point of using that comparison is that every business has a marketing plan to get more of your dollars.  Stores intentionally put items in certain locations to get customers to spend more.  It isn't a tactic that is unique to cruise companies.  

Why is it that a 2 litre on the shelf is .99 and the 16oz in the cooler at check out is 1.99?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, pickle11 said:

Why is it that a 2 litre on the shelf is .99 and the 16oz in the cooler at check out is 1.99?

The real question is why would you, an educated consumer, EVER buy the 16oz for 1.99 when you could get the 2 liter for .99??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SeaShark said:

The real question is why would you, an educated consumer, EVER buy the 16oz for 1.99 when you could get the 2 liter for .99??

Maybe because you need a drink now and the $1.99 botttle is cold and the $.99 bottle is warm and hard to drink from.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

More than using the phrase "Nickel & Diming" what I TRULY don't understand is all the NCL-haters on the NCL boards.

Every time I see a negative post (like the one I quoted) I just want to reply "WHY ARE YOU HERE?"  If people do not like NCL's business practices, why do they cruise NCL and/or frequent NCL online forums (and some of these folks are FREQUENT posters!)

If I thought Disney theme parks were a rip-off, and that Disney had deceptive business practices, the LAST PLACE ON EARTH you would find me is following Disney online forums (and being a frequent poster at that!)

So, I take the "hater" posts as folks who either work for another cruise line or people who thrive on spreading negativity.  And I just scroll by.

Let me explain it so you can fully understand.  Most people do not like every single thing about a company or a product.  Some may like most but get irritated by some issues.  Other may like just a few things and are upset by many facets of the product or business model.  That usually does not mean they will absolutely not purchase the product of patronize the business.  They will be critical of certain aspects they dislike or think are unethical or deceptive.  Often they will visit a forum, such as Cruise CRITIC and point out these issues.  You do understand the forum you are currently in right? For you to complain there are people here being critical of NCL is the height of hilarity.  For every person critical of NCL on these boards there are probably three cheerleaders who think NCL can do no wrong.  (Like the post I quoted)

• Like 1

I have cruised on several different cruise lines, seems all have extra charges for a variety of items. However, I think that NCL does have more extra cost items. Saying that I also have to say that the "base" cost on NCL is much lower than those other lines. So on overall value, I am alright with the "extras" NCL charges and the full price of the cruise at the end of my vacation.

I do think that ALL cruise lines grossly overcharge for shore excursions and most of the time take my chances booking with another vendor or going out on my own.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Love my butler said:

Let me explain it so you can fully understand.  Most people do not like every single thing about a company or a product.  Some may like most but get irritated by some issues.  Other may like just a few things and are upset by many facets of the product or business model.  That usually does not mean they will absolutely not purchase the product of patronize the business.  They will be critical of certain aspects they dislike or think are unethical or deceptive.  Often they will visit a forum, such as Cruise CRITIC and point out these issues.  You do understand the forum you are currently in right? For you to complain there are people here being critical of NCL is the height of hilarity.  For every person critical of NCL on these boards there are probably three cheerleaders who think NCL can do no wrong.  (Like the post I quoted)

Just goes to show two points...

#1 When the facts aren't on your side, resort to name-calling as a counter argument. If you can simply label someone as a "cheerleader" then you MUST be right. At the very least it will make you feel better about yourself.

#2 Time to trot out the old "the name of the website is..." argument. Nothing more disingenuous than trying to use one of the possible meanings of a word to skew a point. 

As a reminder, yes...this is Cruise Critic.  

And that is "Critic" as in:

"one who expresses a reasoned opinion on any matter especially involving a judgment of its value, truth, righteousness, beauty, or technique"

...it does not mean "Critic" as in:

"One who tends to make harsh or carping judgments; a faultfinder".

But you keep doing you. For our convenience, of course.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Love my butler said:

Let me explain it so you fully understand.  Not liking "every single thing" about a company is understandable - e.g., don't like the food in LaCucina, don't like that on the larger ships all "group" activities are held in the Atrium with limited space, buffet coffee tastes like mud, etc.  That's normal and it's the kind of criticism I'd expect to read on Cruise CRITIC.

Believing that a company is UNETHICAL or DECEPTIVE in its business practices is a completely different story.  I would never do business with a company I was convinced was unethical or deceptive because I'm smart like that.

I wouldn't do business with them and then post my outrage on a public forum.  I'd find another cruise line that operated in a way I believed was ethical and fair.

• Like 2

I agree with several of the previous posters who say the term “nickel-and-diming" is frequently used to describe other nefarious practices such as “bait-and-switch", “hidden costs” and “false advertising”. I also agree with many posters who say that if you do your homework and read the terms and conditions, you should not be surprised any charges on your final bill. 

I view “nickel-and-diming" as the practice of systematically raising prices on goods and services without an equivalent increase in value, eliminating goods and services which were once included, and charging for goods and services which once included free of charge. Someone mentioned earlier that there once was a list of “take-aways” which has now been archived. A few that quickly come to mind are towel animals, lobster, the number of diners included in the dining package, the number of points required for various Latitudes awards levels, originally Margaritaville was free of charge, the attempted increase of prices for most liquors included in the drink package, and the continuous increase of the daily service charge. I know there are many more. 

Unfortunately, I believe that the “nickel-and-diming" will only get worse, in order to recoup the losses incurred from the pandemic. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

That's not just down to being a "newbie", that's down to choosing to remain uninformed.  We have friends that have been on 5+ cruises that are still this way because they make the choice not to educate themselves.

Newbie or veteran, it doesn't matter.  You still have to click the "book now" button or approve the PCC/TA's quote before you make a booking.  All the charges are outlined there.  If you don't like it?  Don't book it!

Not sure where all this handwringing comes from.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Newbie or veteran, it doesn't matter.  You still have to click the "book now" button or approve the PCC/TA's quote before you make a booking.  All the charges are outlined there.  If you don't like it?  Don't book it!

That was exactly my point. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

As noted before the hand-wringing is nothing more than a method of transferring blame to the company when one's wants ($$$$$$$$$$$) exceed their means ($$$$). You always feel better when it is the other guy's fault.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/22/2020 at 9:58 AM, pcakes122 said:

Let me explain it so you fully understand.  Not liking "every single thing" about a company is understandable - e.g., don't like the food in LaCucina, don't like that on the larger ships all "group" activities are held in the Atrium with limited space, buffet coffee tastes like mud, etc.  That's normal and it's the kind of criticism I'd expect to read on Cruise CRITIC.

Believing that a company is UNETHICAL or DECEPTIVE in its business practices is a completely different story.  I would never do business with a company I was convinced was unethical or deceptive because I'm smart like that.

I wouldn't do business with them and then post my outrage on a public forum.  I'd find another cruise line that operated in a way I believed was ethical and fair.

Thank you for your response to that post!  Very similar points I would have made.

• Thanks 1

On 6/21/2020 at 11:33 PM, Love my butler said:

I agree that constructive criticism is part of what these boards are all about.  I just find it odd when people come on here to repeatedly and vehemently hate on a cruise line.  If I hated a company that much, I'd air my grievances, leave the board, and spend my time on something that brought joy.  

• Like 2

On 6/22/2020 at 11:09 AM, Falckon said:

I agree with several of the previous posters who say the term “nickel-and-diming" is frequently used to describe other nefarious practices such as “bait-and-switch", “hidden costs” and “false advertising”. I also agree with many posters who say that if you do your homework and read the terms and conditions, you should not be surprised any charges on your final bill. 

I view “nickel-and-diming" as the practice of systematically raising prices on goods and services without an equivalent increase in value, eliminating goods and services which were once included, and charging for goods and services which once included free of charge. Someone mentioned earlier that there once was a list of “take-aways” which has now been archived. A few that quickly come to mind are towel animals, lobster, the number of diners included in the dining package, the number of points required for various Latitudes awards levels, originally Margaritaville was free of charge, the attempted increase of prices for most liquors included in the drink package, and the continuous increase of the daily service charge. I know there are many more. 

Unfortunately, I believe that the “nickel-and-diming" will only get worse, in order to recoup the losses incurred from the pandemic. 

But doesn't every company raise their price or modify their product to achieve a bigger profit? How many time have we seen the size of a jar or box decrease and the price stay the same or worse the amount in the container decreases but the container size is the same. All companies are finding ways to maximize their profits and they need to walk the line where too much drives people away which wasn't happening. When people move to other lines then they will need to change things up to attract them back. 

40 minutes ago, phillyguy31 said:

\ When people move to other lines then they will need to change things up to attract them back. 

I don't think so,  on the next line,  you have the same "I won't sail with them again" people,  who will try-  and some will like-   NCL.    🙂  🙂 🙂

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, phillyguy31 said:

But doesn't every company raise their price or modify their product to achieve a bigger profit? How many time have we seen the size of a jar or box decrease and the price stay the same or worse the amount in the container decreases but the container size is the same. All companies are finding ways to maximize their profits and they need to walk the line where too much drives people away which wasn't happening. When people move to other lines then they will need to change things up to attract them back. 

I agree that this isn't unique to cruising, which is why I don't understand all the complaining about "nickel and diming".  It happens in every area of life.  Why are people so vehement about it toward cruise lines?

But I don't think there will be enough people that move to other lines to force NCL into trying to attract them back.  They always have new cruisers, cruisers from other lines giving NCL a try, and those that are willing to put up with small grievances.  Is NCL perfect, absolutely not; but no other cruise line is either. 

2 hours ago, phillyguy31 said:

Absolutely! Every company and government entity periodically asks “How can we cut costs, and/or increase profits or productivity?”. I can see a group of NCL executives sitting around a flip chart or white board, brainstorming on “How to cut costs?”. One might suggest, “If we downgrade the beef we serve in Cagney’s, we could save X amount of dollars per year.” Another could chime in, “If we use premix cocktails instead of fresh ingredients, we could save X amount of dollars per year.” Finally, one could suggest, “If we only use one olive per martini, rather than two, we could save a bundle.”

Fortunately, not all suggestions are adopted. I alluded to one in my prior post, when NCL announced that they were increasing the prices of most of their popular liquors, to where they exceeded the $15 limit of the drink package. The blowback was so bad that they had to scrap that plan. Most people understand the cruiseline has to make a profit. It is just that NCL is constantly raising prices and reducing services, which does not go unnoticed by the members of this discussion board.

Also, the reason that you hear so much complaining about “nickel-and-diming” hear is that this is a discussion board solely dedicated to one cruiseline, NCL, on Cruise CRITIC. If there were discussion boards related to the jars you mention above, I believe that you would see complaints about size reductions.

Rather than focusing on profits, wouldn’t it be nice if NCL executives would brainstorm on “How to increase customer satisfaction and ensure customer loyalty?”.