Proposed rail ,Canberra to Eden

47 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

More than 5.5 million not enough people, I find that hard to believe.

That engineer on TV pretty much said the same thing. Because the cost for building a fast rail has come down significantly in the last ten years you don't need as big a population to make it viable any more. Problem seems to be the airlines and their lobby groups😕 and I am guessing with this pandemic it will make any fast rail project even less likely since you don't want to hurt the airlines any more than they are already hurting. 

17 hours ago, dillpickle48 said:

Isn't there a by-election taking place soon.  Sorry I am too cynical.

Every time there is some sort of election coming up somebody drags a train of some nature out of the cupboard.

19 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

https://www.railwaypro.com/wp/feasibility-study-for-canberra-eden-port-rail-link/

Apparently there’s already been $1B put into the project and there’s a existing line to Bombala (that’s in disrepair)

I note that this announcement was in August 2018 and as things had been a bit quiet on this front (until a by election) so I Googled on the Canberra to Eden rail line. 

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6291398/railway-study-could-be-up-to-six-months-late/#gsc.tab=0

It seems the study was running a bit behind time but an announcement is due at the end of 2019. Now everybody remember to keep breathing in and out and don't hold your breath waiting for work to commence. Things will settle down by July 4th.

dillpickle48 may be cynical but living near Coffs Harbour where the highway bypass is running 20 years late doesn't fill one with hope.

• Like 1

Rail travel is great.... but the powers to be seam to enjoy shut them down....

Still waiting after 30 years for the rail link melbourne to the airport....

Sydney to Melbourne high speed  ( a dream )    just look at the XPT    finger pointing and poorly maintained track particularly in Victoria

In Tassie they could run a tourist rail Devonport to Wynyard the train line hugs the coast the whole way.... it would be great.... but no... 

Cheer Don

So this proposed Canberra to Eden rail, can they put a branch line into Batemans Bay per chance?   Mr Constance the NSW Transport Minister is our local MP.  He is building a new bridge for us.  The South Coast Rail finishes at Bomaderry, north of Nowra.   1 hour and 45 minutes drive by motorised chariot from Batemans Bay.

31 minutes ago, NSWP said:

So this proposed Canberra to Eden rail, can they put a branch line into Batemans Bay per chance?   Mr Constance the NSW Transport Minister is our local MP.  He is building a new bridge for us.  The South Coast Rail finishes at Bomaderry, north of Nowra.   1 hour and 45 minutes drive by motorised chariot from Batemans Bay.

Did the rail line ever extend pass Bomaderry, like the rail line from Cooma to Bombala?

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

Did the rail line ever extend pass Bomaderry, like the rail line from Cooma to Bombala?

November Oscar, line has finished at bomaderry for 100 plus years. So much development down here and no red rattler, hardly any divided roads, poor omnibus service, but still nice.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2020 at 5:34 PM, By The Bay said:

My mum found an old map showing the proposed line extending from Bomaderry to Vincentia where she lives.  There was also supposed to be a line from Canberra to Jervis Bay being Canberra's port essentially.  Nothing ever really happened.  Although the road bridge over the Shoalhaven River was supposed to be the rail bridge I believe.

52 minutes ago, plettza said:

My mum found an old map showing the proposed line extending from Bomaderry to Vincentia where she lives.  There was also supposed to be a line from Canberra to Jervis Bay being Canberra's port essentially.  Nothing ever really happened.  Although the road bridge over the Shoalhaven River was supposed to be the rail bridge I believe.

Interesting, too hard and not enough £ back then. Bomaderry was the end of the line and stil is.

We did drive down there a couple of weeks ago and the old line is in disrepair.

I n places past Cooma the sleepers are rotten away and the old timber bridges are nonexistent. 
 I think it’s a full rebuild ,The earthworks probably wouldn’t support a fright train.

7 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

We did drive down there a couple of weeks ago and the old line is in disrepair.

I n places past Cooma the sleepers are rotten away and the old timber bridges are nonexistent. 
 I think it’s a full rebuild ,The earthworks probably wouldn’t support a fright train.

The re-alignment and upgrade of the road has also impacted on the old rail route, cutting it in some placed. Definitely a major re-build. IMHO, there is not the population and patronage to support the proposal.

28 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

The re-alignment and upgrade of the road has also impacted on the old rail route, cutting it in some placed. Definitely a major re-build. IMHO, there is not the population and patronage to support the proposal.

No I don’t think it will happen. It’s a massive job.

Maybe one day if there’s a big upgrade to Eden like a container terminal.

We noticed the snowy mountains highway is a B double route but they have to drop a trailer and do 2 trips down the mountain near Bega. Probably better to upgrade that part of the highway.

1 minute ago, Chiliburn said:

We noticed the snowy mountains highway is a B double route but they have to drop a trailer and do 2 trips down the mountain near Bega. Probably better to upgrade that part of the highway.

That project would be more likely to get the funding.

6 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

No I don’t think it will happen. It’s a massive job.

Maybe one day if there’s a big upgrade to Eden like a container terminal.

Over ye olde Brown Mountain. The Snowy Mountains Hwy, starts just a couple of kms north of Bega. A great drive westwards towards the high country, emerging near Tumut onto the Hume Hwy.  Just watch for the trucks and trailers.

Edited by NSWP

There will be no more railway infrastructure construction in NSW, all the dollars are going into the construction of the new Port Botany Cruise Terminal.  Where is Sir Rod anyway? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Over ye olde Brown Mountain. The Snowy Mountains Hwy, starts just a couple of kms north of Bega. A great drive westwards towards the high country, emerging near Tumut onto the Hume Hwy.  Just watch for the trucks and trailers.

Brown mountain,that’s it . Steep stretch of road but a lovely drive from there west.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I once did the drive from Merimbula to Albury over the top. I had a fantastic time and the views are outstanding. I cannot say the same for my car-sick passengers.

• Like 1