Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

Ken the cruiser

10 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just curious, but could the applicable Lilly antibody treatment(s) mentioned in this below article be used by shipboard doctors if someone tests positive for COVID while on the cruise? IAW if (1) you are required to have a vaccine before boarding and then (2) subsequently test positive while on the cruise, would this be an acceptable form of treatment? If so, wouldn't these two factors go a long way to making it safe to start cruising again?

Lilly Covid Antibody Combo Gets U.S. Emergency Authorization (msn.com)

Ken, I'd have to dig into the data and see if they've tested the product in vaccinated individuals. I think there are still lingering questions on interpreting PCR results post-vaccination, and whether (or more likely how often) those represent viable, transmissible virus. Without that, there could be a hesitancy to use the product on a ship. And the best window of opportunity is probably early. Test positive-no symptoms could get put off "for better medical care" depending on where you are in the world. And, there are probably legal  questions on using a USA EUA product (not fully licensed) in international waters on a non US vessel...

But, yes, once physicians become comfortable with using these in vaccinated individuals, I would expect them to contribute to survival and reduced care requirements.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just curious, but could the applicable Lilly antibody treatment(s) mentioned in this below article be used by shipboard doctors if someone tests positive for COVID while on the cruise? IAW if (1) you are required to have a vaccine before boarding and then (2) subsequently test positive while on the cruise, would this be an acceptable form of treatment? If so, wouldn't these two factors go a long way to making it safe to start cruising again?

Lilly Covid Antibody Combo Gets U.S. Emergency Authorization (msn.com)

Ken in theory the answer to your question is yes.  But as an antibody treatment it will be in short supply and very expensive so not sure a ship would carry it unless required to do so.  Also requires iv injection and monitoring.  Probably better left to hospitals.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, markeb said:

Ken, I'd have to dig into the data and see if they've tested the product in vaccinated individuals. I think there are still lingering questions on interpreting PCR results post-vaccination, and whether (or more likely how often) those represent viable, transmissible virus. Without that, there could be a hesitancy to use the product on a ship. And the best window of opportunity is probably early. Test positive-no symptoms could get put off "for better medical care" depending on where you are in the world. And, there are probably legal  questions on using a USA EUA product (not fully licensed) in international waters on a non US vessel...

But, yes, once physicians become comfortable with using these in vaccinated individuals, I would expect them to contribute to survival and reduced care requirements.

31 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Ken in theory the answer to your question is yes.  But as an antibody treatment it will be in short supply and very expensive so not sure a ship would carry it unless required to do so.  Also requires iv injection and monitoring.  Probably better left to hospitals.

Thanks! I was just a question that had been running around in my head. 

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

About the monoclonal antibodies and the difficulties of administering it https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/06/953946994/doctors-encouraged-by-antibody-treatments-for-covid-19

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2021 at 8:22 AM, Nancycat said:

Vaccines are wonderful, but at this time there is no definitive evidence that the vaccines prevent transmission of Covid.

Wearing a mask protects others, 

I will be fully vaccinated in less than a week and will continue to wear a mask to protect those who are not.

Me too. 

10 hours ago, TeeRick said:

You are correct about these needing an IV, but as I understand it they are not in short supply but rather going around unused.  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/23/health/covid-antibody-treatment.html

2 hours ago, shiphound said:

You are correct about these needing an IV, but as I understand it they are not in short supply but rather going around unused.  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/23/health/covid-antibody-treatment.html

They are fairly expensive and hard to manufacture.  The supply is small, but the use is less.  The problem is that they need to be used early, to keep the illness from progressing.  So that raises the question of which patients are going to progress.  Too expensive and the supply issues means that it cannot be used for everyone that tests positive, but if you wait to see who progresses then it is too late for them to be effective.  Such is the quandary as a result they are little used.

NC announced yesterday that they will be starting vaccinating the front line essential workers in a couple of weeks.  They are limiting it to people essential to pre-k to grade 12 education starting Feb 24 then other front line essential workers March 10.  They are trying to get the kids back in school even before then.

8 hours ago, nocl said:

They are fairly expensive and hard to manufacture.  The supply is small, but the use is less.  The problem is that they need to be used early, to keep the illness from progressing.  So that raises the question of which patients are going to progress.  Too expensive and the supply issues means that it cannot be used for everyone that tests positive, but if you wait to see who progresses then it is too late for them to be effective.  Such is the quandary as a result they are little used.

I agree with your comments and I cannot really see them being used on a cruise ship in response to Ken's question.  Also I'm not sure if the current monoclonal antibodies will be effective against the variant viruses emerging.  Polyclonal sera maybe but not monoclonal.

New updated COVID vaccine info on the CDC website including this statement.

• Updated quarantine recommendations for vaccinated persons. Fully vaccinated persons who meet criteria will no longer be required to quarantine following an exposure to someone with COVID-19. Additional considerations for patients and residents in healthcare settings are provided.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/clinical-considerations.html

• Like 5

Just had to post this link today regarding the 7 day rolling averages of new daily confirmed cases in the US.

Have we flattened the curve in the US? - Johns Hopkins (jhu.edu)

Hopefully, the flattening of the curve continues as more vaccines get administered, especially after what Dr Fauci said this morning!

Dr. Fauci: It will be ‘open season’ by April for everyone to receive vaccines (msn.com)

Getting back to cruising by this summer is looking better and better every day. 🙃

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just had to post this link today regarding the 7 day rolling averages of new daily confirmed cases in the US.

Have we flattened the curve in the US? - Johns Hopkins (jhu.edu)

Hopefully, the flattening of the curve continues as more vaccines get administered, especially after what Dr Fauci said this morning!

Dr. Fauci: It will be ‘open season’ by April for everyone to receive vaccines (msn.com)

Getting back to cruising by this summer is looking better and better every day. 🙃

I hope the downward trends continue.  Still worried about the superbowl surge though.  And people that just don't care and will see these trends and relax.

I am glad Dr Fauci is optimistic about April.  I respect him I really do.  But I am skeptical about April at this point.

• Like 3

The American people have control over flattering the curve, once things start to improve, many people just stop the precautions, and selfishly only think of themselves.

I am fully vaccinated and still wear a mask outside and 2 masks inside, I may be safe but others are not.

I hope to cruise at the end of September, and if a mask is required I will happily wear one

8D3CC909-051F-4F1B-BEB7-80317D91B20C.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nancycat said:

The American people have control over flattering the curve, once things start to improve, many people just stop the precautions, and selfishly only think of themselves.

I am fully vaccinated and still wear a mask outside and 2 masks inside, I may be safe but others are not.

I hope to cruise at the end of September, and if a mask is required I will happily wear one

Unfortunately, you are the exception and not the rule. :classic_sad:

• Like 1

Fouremco, I have been waiting for a Canadian to post here!

We should only have some of the problems mentioned.

It will probably be months before we get vaccinated.

And what about the second shot?  Will that ever happen in time to still be effective?

My life has been on hold for so long, I hope I still have some life left to enjoy.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 8:52 PM, hcat said:

Hope you feel better soon!

Did you tolerate the 1st shot okay..?

Our friend with Covid arm  registered for a tracking study so she was able to report her issue.  Doing better now!

Can anyone simply go over how reactions are being tracked and how this might help refinements.? At a certain level we are all the guinea pigs/ lab rats

Thank you. I’m getting better daily, but still have fatigue. Crash early.  I am tracked by vsafe daily.

by reading your post, I realize I have Covid arm, too!,,  Jeez. What next.

The first dose I only had a sore arm.

On 2/9/2021 at 7:45 AM, cangelmd said:

Did they recommend any pre-medication or post-medication? I'm curious because when I got my second shot in early January, pre and post meds were being recommended, but now the CDC is very cagey about this issue, because of concerns with the meds somehow lessening the immune response to the vaccine. There's no data, so CDC is acting out of caution. They recommend (at least last week) taking meds if and when you become symptomatic. I was glad to have some reaction, I felt reassured that I developed some immunity.

I still have side effects. Mainly fatigue. Then I read here I have Covid arm, too.

But on the bright side I just read a strong reaction means more antibodies.

First dose boot camp, second dose war games. I have a strong immune system; it’s fighting off intruders. Making more soldiers.

No meds unless necessary. Took some after 24 hours of high temp

1 hour ago, cantstopingcruising said:

And what about the second shot?  Will that ever happen in time to still be effective?

My life has been on hold for so long, I hope I still have some life left to enjoy.

Repeat after me: Patience is a virtue. All things come to those who wait. It's always darkest before the dawn.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TeeRick said:

New updated COVID vaccine info on the CDC website including this statement.

• Updated quarantine recommendations for vaccinated persons. Fully vaccinated persons who meet criteria will no longer be required to quarantine following an exposure to someone with COVID-19. Additional considerations for patients and residents in healthcare settings are provided.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/clinical-considerations.html

Every little bit helps but for  travel to NY  we still need the before and after tests up the nose...oh joy!

. We still plan to wear masks..dbl now     and hope we start to recover from the shots over the weekend! 

1 hour ago, cantstopingcruising said:

Hi there. From Ottawa at the moment. 

Been no vaccines for 5 weeks now here, the public health line is not active. I am on the priority list as an essential care giver. Nothing, no first shot cause the vaccines ran out. The first group of Pfizer are now over due I understand, so the retirement homes are mulling are the first shots valid anymore, in discussion with public health. Some rumblings in the media about LTC folks getting shots, no idea if first or second or even if it is a real situation.

People I talk to here are tuning out and I am ignoring the entire issue as there is no vaccines likely for quite a while and no wide spread knowledge how any new vaccine would be distributed. Some day I will call up the vaccine line.

For those reading, Canada is 38th in the world for vaccine distribution - so a none starter at this point.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

Hi there. From Ottawa at the moment. 

Been no vaccines for 5 weeks now here, the public health line is not active. I am on the priority list as an essential care giver. Nothing, no first shot cause the vaccines ran out. The first group of Pfizer are now over due I understand, so the retirement homes are mulling are the first shots valid anymore, in discussion with public health. Some rumblings in the media about LTC folks getting shots, no idea if first or second or even if it is a real situation.

People I talk to here are tuning out and I am ignoring the entire issue as there is no vaccines likely for quite a while and no wide spread knowledge how any new vaccine would be distributed. Some day I will call up the vaccine line.

For those reading, Canada is 38th in the world for vaccine distribution - so a none starter at this point.

I don't know what your motivation is, but you continue to post erroneous information with respect to the situation in Ottawa. Spend just a couple of minutes with Google and you will find ample evidence that you are wrong. Here is just one example on an article detailing how last week the paramedic teams  completed the second round of vaccinations at LTC homes: https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/ottawa-wrapping-up-covid-19-vaccinations-for-long-term-care-residents-1.5297204 

Saying that there have been no vaccines for 5 weeks and that the public health line isn't active is utter nonsense.

3 hours ago, cantstopingcruising said:

Agree.  Fellow Canadian.  Can't believe the vaccine rollout here.  😔

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hcat said:

Actually looking forward to snow for  few weeks.  Fla winter was not that great this yr....better luck in the Spring

Well I think you picked the right winter to come back for snow and ice.  We are having the worst winter here in southeast PA in recent memory.

• Like 2