Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

Ken the cruiser

Convenient and informative table for the two mRNA vaccines approved by EUA in the US.

From ACIP (Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)).

https://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/945483?src=wnl_tpal_210213_mscpedu&impID=3190320

Table. Key Facts of the 2 Vaccines

Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine (BNT162b2)

Moderna TX (mRNA-1273)

EUA

December 11, 2020

December 18, 2020

Authorized Use

≥ 16 years

≥ 18 years

Doses

0.3 mL

0.5 mL

No. of doses

Dosing schedule

3 weeks between first and second dose

1 month between first and second dose

Route of administration

IM

IM

AEs

Pain at injection site

Fatigue

Headache

Muscle pain

Chills

Joint pain

Fever

Nausea and Vomiting*

84.1%

62.9%

55.1%

38.3%

31.9%

23.6%

14.2%

91.6%

68.5%

63%

59.6%

43.4%

44.8%

14.8%

Nausea and vomiting have been reported with both vaccines.

IM = intramuscular

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Convenient and informative table for the two mRNA vaccines approved by EUA in the US.

From ACIP (Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)).

https://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/945483?src=wnl_tpal_210213_mscpedu&impID=3190320

Table. Key Facts of the 2 Vaccines

Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine (BNT162b2)

Moderna TX (mRNA-1273)

EUA

December 11, 2020

December 18, 2020

Authorized Use

≥ 16 years

≥ 18 years

Doses

0.3 mL

0.5 mL

No. of doses

Dosing schedule

3 weeks between first and second dose

1 month between first and second dose

Route of administration

IM

IM

AEs

Pain at injection site

Fatigue

Headache

Muscle pain

Chills

Joint pain

Fever

Nausea and Vomiting*

84.1%

62.9%

55.1%

38.3%

31.9%

23.6%

14.2%

91.6%

68.5%

63%

59.6%

43.4%

44.8%

14.8%

Nausea and vomiting have been reported with both vaccines.

IM = intramuscular

Thank you. 

Are now over 1.1M doses in Arizona.  In a couple weeks when supply ramps up will quickly hit 20% of adults injected.

Case counts continue high with a majority under 40 years old.

If you want to look into the issue of transmission of the virus after vaccination, read through this medical opinion.  The title is very misleading.  The author concludes that the data are beginning to show that increased transmission (ie, more asymptomatic carriers)  is not likely to be the case post-vaccination.  Hopefully the transmission issue will be thoroughly studied and put to rest for the sake of normal lives and of course normal cruising.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/945433?src=wnl_edit_tpal&uac=370300SV&impID=3185913&faf=1#vp_2

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Thank you. 

Are now over 1.1M doses in Arizona.  In a couple weeks when supply ramps up will quickly hit 20% of adults injected.

Interesting development in MA this week.  We are still at the 75+ for vaccines, of course first responders, health care workers etc included.  This week they decided to allow caretakers of 75+ folks to be vaccinated at the same time.  Sounds good at first glance but guess what?  Folks started knocking on neighbors doors and calling them to ask if the could take them for their vaccine and be their "caretaker", this for in most cases people they barely know.  On the positive side, at least the right folks for the most part are being vaccinated but this was such a dumb decision!

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

If you want to look into the issue of transmission of the virus after vaccination, read through this medical opinion.  The title is very misleading.  The author concludes that the data are beginning to show that increased transmission (ie, more asymptomatic carriers)  is not likely to be the case post-vaccination.  Hopefully the transmission issue will be thoroughly studied and put to rest for the sake of normal lives and of course normal cruising.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/945433?src=wnl_edit_tpal&uac=370300SV&impID=3185913&faf=1#vp_2

The data I really want to see is a study of those infected after vaccination and see if the vaccine is preventing the clotting, and other damage that has appeared even in mild cases, including the long haulers. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Interesting development in MA this week.  We are still at the 75+ for vaccines, of course first responders, health care workers etc included.  This week they decided to allow caretakers of 75+ folks to be vaccinated at the same time.  Sounds good at first glance but guess what?  Folks started knocking on neighbors doors and calling them to ask if the could take them for their vaccine and be their "caretaker", this for in most cases people they barely know.  On the positive side, at least the right folks for the most part are being vaccinated but this was such a dumb decision!

They should have something like CA where there are registered caregivers, not just someone that says that they are.

Sharing this in the hope it may help someone trying to speed up their shots.   I got first dose (Moderna) this week even though not yet age 65 or otherwise eligible.  How?  By getting on a standby list for unused doses (that would spoil if not used that day).  Called 8 providers, 2 of which placed me on their waitlist (knowing that I was not in the eligible categories).  The other 6 used other means to execute unused doses (e.g. call existing patients, call those with future vax appointments, some even go to friends/family/contacts, etc.).   Was told there were about 100 names ahead of me on the list, yet got the call about a week after signing up.   Once called, you must go right away for the shot, else they move on to someone else.

The pharmacist said anyone getting the first dose (for any reason) is automatically eligible for the 2nd, although we will have to schedule an appointment for the 2nd dose.    

I get the sense vax providers throughout our county and the nation are "all over the board" in how they ensure unused doses get used; and that there are no hard/fast rules in place to standardize it.  This may (or not) work in your area, but it does require some research (or luck) to find a provider that includes the ineligible on their standby list.       

• Thanks 1

Anyone familiar with  a study on new  UK variant..,says more contagious and more deadly?   ( It's a copyrighted article so I can't reprint it,,hope link works,)

https://www.wfla.com/community/health/coronavirus/uk-study-finds-new-variant-may-be-up-to-70-more-deadly/

Are we really heading to the light at the end  of the tunnel or spinning our wheels?

30 minutes ago, hcat said:

Anyone familiar with  a study on new  UK variant..,says more contagious and more deadly?   ( It's a copyrighted article so I can't reprint it,,hope link works,)

https://www.wfla.com/community/health/coronavirus/uk-study-finds-new-variant-may-be-up-to-70-more-deadly/

Are we really heading to the light at the end  of the tunnel or spinning our wheels?

I didn't see where the report said any of the existing approved vaccines weren't effective against this particular strain. All I saw was that it was more contagious and more deadly meaning it's more important than ever to stay protected and get vaccinated. Did I miss something?

Edited by Ken the cruiser

SC has now opened it up to people over 65. I registered on the CDC portal, and now have an appointment April 9. I limited my search radius to 20 miles after the 10 mile search brought up a hospital with their 1st appointments being in late April & May.

Someone around here (Hilton Head) posted on Nextdoor that they got an appointment in Savannah next week at a WalMart superstore. I don't know how they became eligible for a Georgia dose.

My brother in Tenn says they are still waiting--appts for age are only for 70+ up there.

5 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

SC has now opened it up to people over 65. I registered on the CDC portal, and now have an appointment April 9. I limited my search radius to 20 miles after the 10 mile search brought up a hospital with their 1st appointments being in late April & May.

Someone around here (Hilton Head) posted on Nextdoor that they got an appointment in Savannah next week at a WalMart superstore. I don't know how they became eligible for a Georgia dose.

My brother in Tenn says they are still waiting--appts for age are only for 70+ up there.

I am sure you know that TN gift to the US and our national treasure, Dolly Parton, donated one million dollars to Vanderbilt University COVID research, we now all know how that worked out, thank you Dolly!!!  Anyway, Dolly just turned 75 yo and is eligible for the COVID vaccine but has opted to not get it yet.  Why, because she says far more people than she are more vulnerable and she will wait her turn until after first responders, health care workers etc have had their chance to be vaccinated.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I didn't see where the report said any of the existing approved vaccines weren't effective against this particular strain. All I saw was that it was more contagious and more deadly meaning it's more important than ever to stay protected and get vaccinated. Did I miss something?

They believe the Pfizer, Moderna and J&J will have reduced effectiveness against the new variants.  You may still get mild symptoms but no one has died or had serious symptoms.  All of the info sugessts that you should still get the vaccine, it will protect you from serious illness or death.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

They believe the Pfizer, Moderna and J&J will have reduced effectiveness against the new variants.  You may still get mild symptoms but no one has died or had serious symptoms.  All of the info sugessts that you should still get the vaccine, it will protect you from serious illness or death.

Thank you Ken and ipee for commenting. 

The report was a bit concerning esp after we just went thru the vaccination process   But I dont think this going  away soon!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hcat said:

Thank you Ken and ipee for commenting. 

The report was a bit concerning esp after we just went thru the vaccination process   But I dont think this going  away soon!

At least for Moderna and Pfizer, no one died in any of the trials.  No one had serious illness.  Perhaps they did not have exposure to the new variants but they have seen increased antibodies when exposed to the variants.  Get the vaccine.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

At least for Moderna and Pfizer, no one died in any of the trials.  No one had serious illness.  Perhaps they did not have exposure to the new variants but they have seen increased antibodies when exposed to the variants.  Get the vaccine.  7

We did...  both doses of Moderna

Do all of what we can but no illusions of perfection!

Edited by hcat

27 minutes ago, hcat said:

We did...  both doses of Moderna

Do all of what we can but no illusions of perfection!

That's pretty much all we can do, get vaccinated and continue to protect oneself until the curve has pretty much flattened. My DW says we're going to Disney World, with our masks on of course, sometime after March 14th, 2 weeks after getting our second Pfizer vaccine.

Ever heard of the term "cabin fever"? It's a term I picked up while stationed in Alaska back in the 70s which we are definitely starting to experience after almost a year of protecting ourselves from COVID. I mean, it's been almost a year since we've been on our last cruise!! So, if we can't go cruising, Disney World here we come!!

• Like 2

Off topic sorry..not sure if you have kids..

Yes, it's been a long year. 

Dtr and family went to Disney..just one  overnight  in Dec.  Thought it was just okay,,,crowded and lacked sufficient staff & social distance measures , and was  expensive ( did some type of movie land ) . Hope it is better when you go. Staffing seems to remain an issue after they let so many people go..

They gave rave reviews to Bush Gardens,  the Zoo, total holiday  experience, good social distancing, kid friendly ( age 4 and 10 mo then). They also enjoyed the Tampa  zoo, a smaller facility but perfect for their family.  They hope next time in a few yrs they can stay longer in a Disney property...

I hope they get to the  Aquarium in Tampa

We planned to go there before our  scrapped Connie cruise in 2021..we were excited to have a cruise out of Tampa.   It was obviously a no go & we..lifted and shifted to Ref 2022..out of Port Ev,  hope it works out .

Hope for 2022 cruises by  the vaccines will be widely available and effective..

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Off topic sorry..not sure if you have kids..

Yes, it's been a long year. 

Dtr and family went to Disney..just one  overnight  in Dec.  Thought it was just okay,,,crowded and lacked sufficient staff & social distance measures , and was  expensive ( did some type of movie land ) . Hope it is better when you go. Staffing seems to remain an issue after they let so many people go..

They gave rave reviews to Bush Gardens,  the Zoo, total holiday  experience, good social distancing, kid friendly ( age 4 and 10 mo then). They also enjoyed the Tampa  zoo, a smaller facility but perfect for their family.  They hope next time in a few yrs they can stay longer in a Disney property...

I hope they get to the  Aquarium in Tampa

We planned to go there before our  scrapped Connie cruise in 2021..we were excited to have a cruise out of Tampa.   It was obviously a no go & we..lifted and shifted to Ref 2022..out of Port Ev,  hope it works out .

Hope for 2022 cruises by  the vaccines will be widely available and effective..

Our son and his family are DW addicts and have gone 3 times since the pandemic started. But from the way they tell it, it's been great and don't even think about walking around with your nose popping over your mask. A DW employee will definitely remind you of their strict mask and social distancing rules.

But, our "cabin fever" options have be adjusted a bit over the last few days. We talked with our X PVP and have asked to be placed on their volunteer "no revenue" sailing waitlist out of Florida. In addition, we're hoping by the new FPDD in late March of our Alaska cruises on the Millennium, the powers that be have made a go/no go decision on a PVSA waiver. 

With Alaska season on the ropes, lines challenged on cabotage law: Travel Weekly 

It probably will get denied, but who knows. The nice thing about these two potential "twinkles", as well as the hope J&J will get their EUA approved and the curve continues to flatten, is that they give us a variety of options to focus on while we meander around in our COVID "cabin fever" fog.

But, in any event, we will hopefully get out 2nd dose March 1st, and we'll be that much closer to being able to go cruising again once they get the go ahead!

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, hcat said:

Definitely not spinning our wheels.  It is possible that you might need a vaccine booster occasionally or even annually to cover waning immunity or any new variants (that vaccines do not cover as effectively) which are certain to continue to arise.  The nature of the beast.  But as others have said, the current vaccines are preventing severe disease and deaths, even against the most difficult variants like S.Africa.  But they are less efficacious in preventing mild to moderate symptoms (ie, more people will have them overall).

• Like 2

17 hours ago, nocl said:

They should have something like CA where there are registered caregivers, not just someone that says that they are.

On the news this morning...with a doctor's note an "informal caregiver" can also receive the vaccine now. .“Informal caregivers are defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as an unpaid family member or other person who regularly aids and supervises the daily care of an elderly or disabled person, but need not live in the same house"

21 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Thank you. 

Perhaps you have not seen the numbers in the last month?  B5FA0883-D782-489C-9251-7C577EE9D8BC.thumb.png.1a4a41663286b6d700856e9bd8758dcc.pngCase counts are improving significantly.  Of course they have to continue the improvement.

Edited by jagoffee

Also heard this on the news this morning.  Tried to find an article and found this.  A bit vague for me (maybe not to someone with a scientific background) but still hopeful.  Maybe this will prove to be true with Moderna as well.

Pfizer’s vaccine appears to reduce coronavirus transmission | Science News

M

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, mimbecky said:

On the news this morning...with a doctor's note an "informal caregiver" can also receive the vaccine now. .“Informal caregivers are defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as an unpaid family member or other person who regularly aids and supervises the daily care of an elderly or disabled person, but need not live in the same house"

Oh  Oh.  Total Can 'O Worms.

35 minutes ago, mimbecky said:

Also heard this on the news this morning.  Tried to find an article and found this.  A bit vague for me (maybe not to someone with a scientific background) but still hopeful.  Maybe this will prove to be true with Moderna as well.

Pfizer’s vaccine appears to reduce coronavirus transmission | Science News

M

Thanks.  This is encouraging!

• Like 2