The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

On 9/10/2022 at 4:29 PM, KenzSailing said:

So Wednesday night was sous vide prime rib night:

IMG_0225.thumb.jpg.1c99235b3c83779fbad88d6a37d435eb.jpg

Followed on Thursday by another one bites the dust:

IMG_0227.thumb.jpg.806fae411b68f2f5214752e9447b45e4.jpg

Friday was smash burgers (no photos, happens too fast)

And tonight is Saturday, and you know what that means...

True story: the first time OLoPP and I ever encountered the phrase "haricots vert"  it was verbally from a somewhat annoyed waiter at a posh restaurant in a very posh London hotel, many years ago.  We heard it as "hairy corvair" and have been calling them that ever since.  As well, at least we amuse 

15 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Sorry, but the freshman high school note book "Billy 💗s Crystal" posts are getting out of hand.  

Yeah, I'm grumpy.

Just think how Billy Crystal feels......🤷‍♂️

61705974-CF0E-492B-9356-32D0BC7979FB.jpeg

• Haha 5

On 9/10/2022 at 3:29 PM, KenzSailing said:

So Wednesday night was sous vide prime rib night:

IMG_0225.thumb.jpg.1c99235b3c83779fbad88d6a37d435eb.jpg

Followed on Thursday by another one bites the dust:

IMG_0227.thumb.jpg.806fae411b68f2f5214752e9447b45e4.jpg

Friday was smash burgers (no photos, happens too fast)

And tonight is Saturday, and you know what that means...

True story: the first time OLoPP and I ever encountered the phrase "haricots vert"  it was verbally from a somewhat annoyed waiter at a posh restaurant in a very posh London hotel, many years ago.  We heard it as "hairy corvair" and have been calling them that ever since.  As well, at least we amuse ourselves.

So since you posted the photos I have had nightmares every night that they each came alive and chased me around the house.

Keith 

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

So since you posted the photos I have had nightmares every night that they each came alive and chased me around the house.

Keith 

I am seriously starting to think that with your new BBQ, burgers and chickens aren't the only things you're smoking.

Now, will someone pass me the brownies?

• Haha 6

10 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Breaking news.

The Waltons debuted 50 years ago.

I loved it.

Watched every episode.

Loved the end of most episodes when they said goodnight.

How  about you?

Keith

I am thinking that you need to take a cruise Keith so that you can get back on track 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

I am seriously starting to think that with your new BBQ, burgers and chickens aren't the only things you're smoking.

Now, will someone pass me the brownies?

Ummm.  Now what might you mean????  LOL.

I do smoke other things.  But not for brownies unless you like Salmon and Turkey Brownies.  😁

Keith

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is from a very stormy morning September 15, 2012 on the Crystal Symphony sailing from Reykjavik to New York (we were supposed to have a stop in Halifax but missed it due to the weather):

dawn15.jpg

Roy

I remember that day finally seeing the sunshine!

nancy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nancygp said:

I remember that day finally seeing the sunshine!

nancy

I remember that cruise and the horrible weather - I have a picture similar to that.  I also remember we couldn't get out Reykjavik because the wind was so strong and they hadn't ordered any tugs - 5 hours later we finally left Reykjavik. 

• Like 2

A little bit different "sunset" pictures.  We were on the Serenity in November 2019, when we were in Turks and Caicos at the same time as the Symphony.  These were taken from my balcony as the Symphony left the docks at sunset.  

If i am not mistaken Roy was on the Symphony after the transatlantic from Barcelona on the Serenity.

P1000246.JPG

P1000252.JPG

Edited by TRIPACIAN
sp
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, ctjon said:

I remember that cruise and the horrible weather - I have a picture similar to that.  I also remember we couldn't get out Reykjavik because the wind was so strong and they hadn't ordered any tugs - 5 hours later we finally left Reykjavik. 

We did have horrible weather.   I know you weren’t pleased with the cruise but I had a great time with the exception of the several days of bad weather.  

Since we missed Halifax on this cruise, I’m sailing seabourn this fall and hope for good weather as we will spend 2 days there.

Nancy

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ctjon said:

You and @nancygp are both correct.  I think I also remember that was the cruise where @Out2See was onboard as a lecturer but due to the extra sea day we got treated to the world premiere of "Character Man".

@TRIPACIAN you are correct also.  There were 3 ships in Grand Turk that day with dock space for 2.  Nieuw Amsterdam had the first priority because their parent owns the port, and we got the second dock space probably because Serenity had azipods and Dynamic positioning while we didn't, so Serenity had to tender.  I got this view of the 2 ships with Serenity nestled under our bow:

nestled.jpg

My last view of Serenity from that ship just after the peak of sunset:

adieuocy.jpg

Roy

• Like 6

2 hours ago, nancygp said:

We did have horrible weather.   I know you weren’t pleased with the cruise but I had a great time with the exception of the several days of bad weather.  

Since we missed Halifax on this cruise, I’m sailing seabourn this fall and hope for good weather as we will spend 2 days there.

Nancy

Yup - probably my only "bad" Crystal cruise - we actually started in London and were told upon debarkation that we were going to miss a port on the north of Iceland due to weather.

Then because of the weather and not being able to get out of port we were told we were missing Halifax - however on the maps on board we actually passed Halifax about 5 hours before schedule.  Then In NYC since we hadn't be able to board customs officials it took forever to get ship cleared and be able to disembark

However, in spite of those memories - the service and everything else on the ship was great as usual.

Not happy trip for us but still a Crystal trip.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, ctjon said:

Yup - probably my only "bad" Crystal cruise - we actually started in London and were told upon debarkation that we were going to miss a port on the north of Iceland due to weather.

Then because of the weather and not being able to get out of port we were told we were missing Halifax - however on the maps on board we actually passed Halifax about 5 hours before schedule.  Then In NYC since we hadn't be able to board customs officials it took forever to get ship cleared and be able to disembark

However, in spite of those memories - the service and everything else on the ship was great as usual.

Not happy trip for us but still a Crystal trip.

We were on that trip as well, and yes, the weather was the story! But as I recall, we were caught in the remnants of three post-tropical depressions in that part of the North Atlantic! I also recall we received the letter from the Captain about missing Halifax the morning AFTER we left Reykjavik, based on the tracks of the storms and the fact he was sailing toward Greenland to try and keep us out of the worst of it. And according to the navigation programme on our tablet at the time, we were due south of Halifax at 6:00 PM that evening, so no, we would never have made Halifax! And we took solid water off our balcony door on Deck Ten twice in the five days at sea!

Finally, the WORST thing that happened on that cruise was the kitchen RAN OUT OF oatmeal-raisin cookies!!!😮😁😮😁Actually, as I recall, there were a bunch of Crystal senior execs onboard for meetings, and when Toni Neumiester (sp?) found out, he told the pastry chef to make them from scratch!

And finally, Jim premiered Character Man even though he was suffering from the worst head cold! Yes, the show did go on!🙂

• Like 6