Cruise Critic News: Domestic Cruising Restart in Australia Still an Uphill Battle

22 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Only joking, kiwis are the salt of the earth and everyone knows that.

No worries. The problem I had was that some Australians detected a hint of Kiwi accent but when I went back to NZ my friends there said I had an Aussie accent. So I became an Aussie as well.🤣 That way whatever they think my accent is they're right. 

Oddly enough, my mother was English and more than once when I lived in NZ I would get asked where I was from as I had a very neutral NZ accent with English overtones.

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I will again state my national pride Les. I live in the best place on earth, I love to visit other places but Canada is my home. Vancouver Island has the mildest climate in Canada. Never really cold in winter and not too hot in summer. I have no interest in the Caribbean. 

Hey Lyle ,you haven’t been to ANZ .

The best beer, lamb stew and potatoes ,a kilo of prawns on the beach and the hottest summers this side of hell.

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Hey Lyle ,you haven’t been to ANZ .

The best beer, lamb stew and potatoes ,a kilo of prawns on the beach and the hottest summers this side of hell.

I look forward to visiting down under and I hope we will visit more than once. But I will always come home to Canada. Besides we must have something here, I know a few from down under Aussies and Kiwis who now call Canada home.

When my late wife and I cruised canals in the UK we would place an Aussie flag at the front of our boat. The (always polite) Poms would see it and say "are you from New Zealand?".🙃

16 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Lyle I’ve noticed Canadians have a hang up with being mistaken for Americans.

Hey baby,You try being mistaken for a kiwi 

I was often embarrassed on the ships, asking a Canadian, "Whereabouts in the States are you from?"  And sometimes vice versa.  With all due respect to our honorary Aussie, young Lyle, the accidents are close, maybe except for the 'Owt and Abowt.'

Some people mistake Aussies for Kiwis too and vice versa.   I did not say 'sux' I said six.😆

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I was often embarrassed on the ships, asking a Canadian, "Whereabouts in the States are you from?"  And sometimes vice versa.  With all due respect to our honorary Aussie, young Lyle, the accidents are close, maybe except for the 'Owt and Abowt.'

Some people mistake Aussies for Kiwis too and vice versa.   I did not say 'sux' I said six.😆

When in doubt ask "whereabouts in North America are you from?".

Many, many years ago I went to the US for a conference. One taxi driver actually picked I was a Kiwi. I was very surprised.

55 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The wet coast "accent" is very neutral we don't really feel we have one. The oot and aboot thing is Ontario (although they don't think so). I think that most Canadians would definitely set the record straight in a good natured way and apologise for the mistake.

48 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

When in doubt ask "whereabouts in North America are you from?".

Many, many years ago I went to the US for a conference. One taxi driver actually picked I was a Kiwi. I was very surprised.

So are you a Kiossie? Like I am a possie?  Please don't be offended. 

I worked for years with a Kiwi guy and never learned the nuances between Kiwi and Aussie accents. I work with 2 Aussies and they have different accents. I have to assume that there are many regional accents in Oz it is a big country. There are definitely regional accents in Canada and I would give top marks to anyone who could identify them with any consistency.

35 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I worked for years with a Kiwi guy and never learned the nuances between Kiwi and Aussie accents. I work with 2 Aussies and they have different accents. I have to assume that there are many regional accents in Oz it is a big country. There are definitely regional accents in Canada and I would give top marks to anyone who could identify them with any consistency.

The Canberrans from NATCAP talk a bit posh,  I have heard Mic in real time.🤩

• Haha 1

Many years ago one of my mates married a lady who was of Chinese/Malaysian ethnicity. When I first met her I made the same mistake that, to my enjoyment, so many people did for years later. The mistake was to ask "Where do you come from"? Only to receive the witheringly polite reply "Bondi". 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, Sailaway John said:

I had a cruise with Princess on the 6th October and it was cancelled.

Sailaway John, you seen to be replying to a lot of posts that are probably now out of date. At the time Windsor26 posted Princess had not released the latest round of cancellations. That occurred about a week later than his post.

C'mon mate, keep up with the times. 😁

59 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Sailaway John, you seen to be replying to a lot of posts that are probably now out of date. At the time Windsor26 posted Princess had not released the latest round of cancellations. That occurred about a week later than his post.

C'mon mate, keep up with the times. 😁

Thanks Oz  saved me correcting him

• Like 1