Iconic Solent Flour Mills building to be demolished

PrincessPete

I've always liked art deco buildings.  What a shame.  Shame on Historic England not making it a listed building. 

The old Hoover factory in West London is now a Tesco!  Facade there to be seen from the main road.  I went there once when I was passing by and had some spare time.  They were still period outbuildings in the car park.

• Like 2

Par for the course really - after all, the original Ocean Terminal was a beautiful art deco structure and that was demolished. Now we have the new Ocean Terminal - or big tin shed as I refer to it...

36 minutes ago, brian1 said:

On second thoughts,if they converted it to a super Wetherspoons.What you reckon S of A.Let's get down there with our placards.

On another sad note Brian, Dagenham Market has closed permanently.. 

Where are you gonna get your sheepskin coats from now😊

Andy 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

On another sad note Brian, Dagenham Market has closed permanently.. 

Where are you gonna get your sheepskin coats from now😊

Andy 

I'm upmarket geeze,Petticoat Lane of course.Mid 40s here though at moment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

On second thoughts,if they converted it to a super Wetherspoons.What you reckon S of A.Let's get down there with our placards.

Super Wetherspoon - now there's a thought!!  Especially as Tim is going to pass on the 15% VAT reduction on to punters!

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 10:36 PM, Son of Anarchy said:

I've always liked art deco buildings.  What a shame.  Shame on Historic England not making it a listed building. 

The old Hoover factory in West London is now a Tesco!  Facade there to be seen from the main road.  I went there once when I was passing by and had some spare time.  They were still period outbuildings in the car park.

It was hit by a large vehicle a few years back, so even it it was listed, unless millions probably had been raised, it would eventually have to have been taken down.

25 minutes ago, the english lady said:

It was hit by a large vehicle a few years back, so even it it was listed, unless millions probably had been raised, it would eventually have to have been taken down.

Didn't know that.  Maybe the vehicle was being driven by Dominic Cummings whilst self-administering an eyesight test 😲

In Germany, if a car hits a tree, they don't cut the tree down - it's not the tree's fault.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work that way here.

On 7/15/2020 at 6:58 PM, PrincessPete said:

Sorry if this is old news but just saw an article on the BBC Regional TV news.

An iconic building I guess everyone on this forum knows.

Great picture on the link below.

Again, apologies if this has been covered before.

Kind regards. Peter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-hampshire-51264989

Shore side berth 102 was told by security a new Terminal was going to be built, normally over the years when five cruise ships were in  I.E Freds  Braemar or Balmoral a large marquee would be erected for the summer season as the fifth terminal, last time i was in dock gate ten was march and the whole of berth 102 was dug up, so it could be part of the new terminal or another multi storage car park.

It could have been Southampton's Marina Bay if they stuck a beer garden on the roof.Imagine an infinity bar serving Peroni (Andy,tempted).

Edited by brian1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, the english lady said:

It was the Grade II Dock gate 10 Arch that was hit by a lorry not the mill itself. 

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/17260584.five-month-wait-to-repair-historic-southampton-dock-gate-after-crash/

On 7/18/2020 at 7:00 AM, Snow Hill said:

It was the Grade II Dock gate 10 Arch that was hit by a lorry not the mill itself. 

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/17260584.five-month-wait-to-repair-historic-southampton-dock-gate-after-crash/

you are entirely correct. sorry..yes it was the arch. I'll go back to sleep now.