Shhh, it happens

Came across this article which may help getting the cruise industry going quicker and safer. https://psnews.com.au/2020/07/16/dunnies-deliver-for-covid-searchers/?state=aps

I like the last quote, positive signs for early detection.

Dunnies deliver for COVID searchers -

Researchers from the University of Queensland (UQ) and the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) are tracking the COVID-19 virus in wastewater from plane and cruise ship passengers.

Their work is expected to play a key role for when Australia can safely welcome international visitors.

A new paper in the Journal of Travel Medicine reports that testing of aircraft and cruise ship wastewater upon arriving at their destination had detected genetic fragments of the COVID-19 virus, SARS-CoV-2, a step forward in using the test as an additional public health management tool.

Minister for Industry, Science and Technology, Karen Andrews said Australian scientists were doing outstanding work and making a difference in the fight against Coronavirus.

“Our science and research communities are among our greatest assets in our efforts to not only overcome this pandemic, but also to assist in the economic recovery from COVID-19,” Mrs Andrews said.

“The ability to test wastewater from planes and cruise ships is another piece of the puzzle as we look to the future of travel and keeping Australians safe.”

Chief Executive at CSIRO, Larry Marshall said responding to a pandemic was not just about the race for a vaccine, Australian science was supporting the economic recovery by delivering for partners like Qantas.

“Our relationship with air travel goes back to the 1960s, and today our unique coatings already protect aircraft, so it’s great to be trusted to keep Australia flying while helping to stay ahead of any potential new outbreaks,” Dr Marshall said.

Paper co-author, Jochen Mueller (pictured) from UQ’s Queensland Alliance for Environmental Health Sciences, said the tool could help as Governments and transport industries developed plans to minimise transmission associated with resuming international travel.

“The test provides an early warning of infection, as the virus sheds in the stools of infected passengers even before they show symptoms,” Professor Mueller said.

There are so many chances here for some one liner comments on this but, for the sake of  good taste, I am refraining. (see I did not even say passing )

Over to you Mic

Edited by gbenjo

I posted the article, it follows on the back of the report here in Canberra, that there are no active cases here.

Normally they are testing the sewerage often for drugs, have made a few busts using this method.

Follow the pipe upstream.

47 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Normally they are testing the sewerage often for drugs, have made a few busts using this method.

Follow the pipe upstream.

Yes, that was what I thought of when I read your original post. I recall a news story which listed the Sydney suburbs with highest drug use by analysis of the waste water.

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

LOL, For that remark, you can take a stool at the bar.

But you can't go to the bar in Covid, you have to sit at a table and be served.  I suppose you could have a stool there.  I went to my golf club last week, went to the bar to get a bundy and coke, bar person told me to sit at a table and I would be served from there, so I sat down, 15 minutes later I walked out.  At this rate the club will go broke with poor custom and the new caterers are hopeless who wants to wait an hour for a feed?  If you are down here avoid the golf club, go to the Rissole. 

Many businesses like clubs, motels, restaurants, here and other places are battling to get staff, many have gone on the dole which was upped to $1100 a fortnight.  That is about what a pensioner couple get don't they? I don't know, I am not on the Centrelink Xmas Card list.

Edited by NSWP

31 minutes ago, NSWP said:

But you can't go to the bar in Covid, you have to sit at a table and be served.  I suppose you could have a stool there.  I went to my golf club last week, went to the bar to get a bundy and coke, bar person told me to sit at a table and I would be served from there, so I sat down, 15 minutes later I walked out.  At this rate the club will go broke with poor custom and the new caterers are hopeless who wants to wait an hour for a feed?  If you are down here avoid the golf club, go to the Rissole. 

Many businesses like clubs, motels, restaurants, here and other places are battling to get staff, many have gone on the dole which was upped to $1100 a fortnight.  That is about what a pensioner couple get don't they? I don't know, I am not on the Centrelink Xmas Card list.

On the news last night there was a few shopkeepers who were lamenting the fact that their casual staff chucked their jobs, when the dole was increased,  because the bit extra they were earning was not enough to work for.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

On the news last night there was a few shopkeepers who were lamenting the fact that their casual staff chucked their jobs, when the dole was increased,  because the bit extra they were earning was not enough to work for.

Spot on my friend, Australia is becoming a country of lazy buggers. Crikey in my day you got a job after school and many stayed in it for 40 yrs. There were certainly not as many on welfare in 1960’s to 1990s, except maybe for Nimbin and Byron Bay, Johnyy Howards surfing team. Sure things are very. etough now, but some people just think they have a god given right to welfare. Must be happy hour...🍷

Edited by NSWP

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

Spot on my friend, Australia is becoming a country of lazy buggers. Crikey in my day you got a job after school and many stayed in it for 40 yrs. There were certainly not as many on welfare in 1960’s to 1990s, except maybe for Nimbin and Byron Bay, Johnyy Howards surfing team. Sure things are very. etough now, but some people just think they have a god given right to welfare. Must be happy hour...🍷

At the time I left school I had never heard of the dole. Everyone I knew got a job of some sort.

No app or person will be doing all that. Its technically a huge waste of time and money if the entire industry will take it seriously. Another thing is that the industry and its main players specifically will try to figure out a compaign to attract people on their ships (Our cabins are super clean! Our water is like 10x filtered!) and things like that. Dont let them fool you 

9 hours ago, Roger88 said:

No app or person will be doing all that. Its technically a huge waste of time and money if the entire industry will take it seriously. Another thing is that the industry and its main players specifically will try to figure out a compaign to attract people on their ships (Our cabins are super clean! Our water is like 10x filtered!) and things like that. Dont let them fool you 

Ignore facts at your peril. They do test the sewerage and are able to detect all sorts of things which can lead to narrowing a scope area and early detection.

There have been European reports of testing untreated waster water (sounds nicer). Some have identified strong traces in Italy in December 2019.

This article indicates that tracing through waste may show infections up to 10 days before symptoms and normal testing.

https://theconversation.com/was-coronavirus-really-in-europe-in-march-2019-141582