Is the specialty dining worth an extra $179 pp on Symphony?

We were able to lift and shift a cruise to the Symphony for next summer.  We received a killer deal, so I was considering upgrading to the specialty dining package for this cruise.  The restaurants look interesting, especially Wonderland.  My son saw that and said HE would pay for us to go. lol

We do love to eat on the cruises and I diet for months getting ready to eat whatever I want on the cruise. So eating is a big focus for us.  We have boys too, so it is their ONLY focus in life!  We have never been disappointed with the MDR, but there have been a lot of times when the meals were just okay.  It was food and I didn't have to cook it, so it was perfect for me.  

Has anyone had incredible experiences with the specialty dining?  How is Wonderland?  What are the other best specialty dining restaurants?  Can you order multiple entrees or desserts in the specialty dining restaurants?  We have been on several cruises but never had the budget until now.  Should we splurge???

TIA!

Food very subjective! We were on Symphony OTS last Nov 2019 and bought the unlimited package for that price. If this is the pkg you are thinking of buying,  Unlimited, YES.

Lunch on Sea Days, evening any Speciality Restaurants (SR.) In fact,  you can go to more than one SR each evening. 

Wonderland is our favorite. Don't read the menu as it is very misleading. We have done Wonderland on every ship that has one. Some will say once is enough. Not us. 

Make all your reservations for each night when you get on the ship at any SR. If you like eating early, 530/6 is normally available. 

You will enjoy the evening meal much more than the MDR or any other eating venue. 

Hope this helps. Here is a link. 

https://www.*****.com/category/category/dining-package

Stay Safe! 

*****.com/ 5 stars should read *****

When I save, it deletes that and puts in stars? 

55 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Food very subjective! We were on Symphony OTS last Nov 2019 and bought the unlimited package for that price. If this is the pkg you are thinking of buying,  Unlimited, YES.

Lunch on Sea Days, evening any Speciality Restaurants (SR.) In fact,  you can go to more than one SR each evening. 

Wonderland is our favorite. Don't read the menu as it is very misleading. We have done Wonderland on every ship that has one. Some will say once is enough. Not us. 

Make all your reservations for each night when you get on the ship at any SR. If you like eating early, 530/6 is normally available. 

You will enjoy the evening meal much more than the MDR or any other eating venue. 

Hope this helps. Here is a link. 

https://www.*****.com/category/category/dining-package

Stay Safe! 

*****.com/ 5 stars should read *****

When I save, it deletes that and puts in stars? 

You were linking to a prohibited web site.

For us the main dining rooms are fine.  If we really don't like the dinner we just head up to the buffet (or sometimes just for an added dessert) and/or order the Chops steak in the dining room.  The specialty rooms really don't serve the food we care for  and the UDP means you will get the same menu in each of the specialty restaurants every time you eat there.  Some folks like Ken prefer eating every meal in specialties - it is a very personal decision.  So check out the sample menus and see if they are what YOU want to eat for the cruise.

Edited by LeeW
more
  • Like 2

At $179 for seven days, we would consider it. While we don't mind the MDR, on Oasis class ships there are a lot of specialty options that are not on other classes. We never go to the Windjammer for dinner, in fact lately we have been avoiding it as much as possible.

mac_tlc

29 minutes ago, LeeW said:

For us the main dining rooms are fine.  If we really don't like the dinner we just head up to the buffet (or sometimes just for an added dessert) and/or order the Chops steak in the dining room.  The specialty rooms really don't serve the food we care for  and the UDP means you will get the same menu in each of the specialty restaurants every time you eat there.  Some folks like Ken prefer eating every meal in specialties - it is a very personal decision.  So check out the sample menus and see if they are what YOU want to eat for the cruise.

I didn't know that eas a no-no site?

I assumed it was Royal Caribbean Blog, so .......

We don't go to the Windjammer. 

You are right,  each SR has a set menu for that SR. However, example: Chops has various streaks, seafood,  etc. On a7 nite cruise you can hit the different SRs. If you really like one you can go back again. Here stre pics of thre Chops menu. Google SR Menus for more SR menus.

SS_20200720_142150.jpg

SS_20200720_142142.jpg

SS_20200720_142204.jpg

Edited by Oxo

1 hour ago, Oxo said:

Hope this helps.

Stay Safe! 

So, could we go to eat our $30 in sushi before going to Wonderland for dinner in the same night?  If so, we are sold on that option!!!

Seaworld has an all day dining package.  One day I told my kids that we were going to Seaworld (we had passes) and were going to get the all day dining package since we would be there all day.  They spent the entire day trying all the restaurants.  We only had time for one or two shows because they were eating all day! It was fun but I don't think I would pay for me again.  I didn't get my money's worth, but I think they covered my money's worth with as much as they ate. lol

Edited by jp2746

10 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

So, could we go to eat our $30 in sushi before going to Wonderland for dinner in the same night?  If so, we are sold on that option!!!

We are lite eaters and never went to 2 SRs in one night.  However, I have read on here and it states you can on the RCI site. 

Call to confirm as they can change anything at anytime. 

Again,  each SR had their own menu. It is not one menu for all the SRs. You may pick anything off the menu. 

On some cruise lines,  they have a limited selection of what you may order with some of their pkgs. 

I think that as much as the food, atmosphere is what is different.  If you don't mind the hub-bub of eating with a thousand people, you will be fine in the Dining Room, but if you want the atmosphere and personal service of a smaller venue, you should buy the Unlimited Pkg.  We haven't eaten in the dining room in years.  Enjoy.

2 minutes ago, lovelife said:

If I got the Unlimited Dining Package on Symphony, I would eat at Hooked Seafood every night.  Fantastic!

I was just looking at that restaurant.  It looks like they have lobster as a menu item and raw oysters.  I think that might be a winner for us too!

1 hour ago, LeeW said:

I agree...this is a very subjective decision. After experiencing the Oasis class ships' specialty restaurants, we feel it is just not worth the extra money, especially Wonderland, which looks interesting and unique but the food is awful. When we left there we had to go to the Windjammer to eat. Spending $716 (4 x 179) extra on food when there are so many complimentary places to eat on Symphony, just doesn't make sense to us. (Even though the tip is included if you pay pre-cruise, you really do feel like you should leave a tip).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

I was just looking at that restaurant.  It looks like they have lobster as a menu item and raw oysters.  I think that might be a winner for us too!

Just make sure there isn't a charge for the lobster and oysters as they may be specialty items:)

2 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

Oh yeah, I say go for it! That's a great deal for sure! My DH hates paying extra for food since all meals are included in the fare but I really enjoy the specialty restaurants for the atmosphere, dedicated servers, and outstanding cuisine! Our family all enjoyed a special dinner at Wonderland as well but would not pay that price to eat there again unless it's included in the package. Read the fine print as Wonderland may or may not be included in the package. I believe Chef's Table (if there is one) is excluded as well.

1 minute ago, lovelife said:

No extra charge for lobster or oysters.  My favorite is the Captain's Platter.

Great! Well my DH may want to try this restaurant as a treat....he loves raw oysters (not me). Maybe he can find someone to go with him:) I think you have to like raw oysters to be able to watch people eating them:)

45 minutes ago, lovelife said:

If I got the Unlimited Dining Package on Symphony, I would eat at Hooked Seafood every night.  Fantastic!

We loved it,  Went 2x.

Here is a pic of Lobster and mussel app. Excellent! 

20191112_183657.jpg

20191112_180248.jpg

40 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

Oh yeah, I say go for it! That's a great deal for sure! My DH hates paying extra for food since all meals are included in the fare but I really enjoy the specialty restaurants for the atmosphere, dedicated servers, and outstanding cuisine! Our family all enjoyed a special dinner at Wonderland as well but would not pay that price to eat there again unless it's included in the package. Read the fine print as Wonderland may or may not be included in the package. I believe Chef's Table (if there is one) is excluded as well.

Wonderland was included and like I said, some love it, others don't. Try it, if you don't like it,  sorry. Let us go fir you thre next time. LOL.

We recently did the UDP on Harmony and we really enjoyed experiencing the atmosphere in each of the restaurants.  Each brought something unique and had something we really loved.  It was fun at the end of the week to decide what our "ideal meal" would be after eating at all the different places!

Wonderland is not for everyone but if you are open to trying things you never thought you would, it is quite an experience -- we actually went 2 different nights and my 11 year old had a blast!  Hands down best short rib I have ever eaten!

That said, I would not do UDP again because it just got to be too many evenings of big meals with really rich food.  We felt like we needed to eat at a specialty restaurant each evening to "get our money's worth."  We ended up cancelling our reservation at Chops and grabbing a quick dinner at Windjammer because the thought of eating a big steak was not appealing to any of us.  I think a 3-night package will be the sweet spot for us moving forward.  

We've never had issue with the food in the dining room - it's fine.  We just dislike not having the flexibility of choosing a time for that evening that will work around kids club activities, shows, ect.  

31 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Not associated with Royal Caribbean in any way.  Privately run and sponsored by a travel agency which is why it can’t be linked. 

Thanks for the info. It is a good source of info! 

Stay Safe! 

2 hours ago, ptf2009 said:

Great! Well my DH may want to try this restaurant as a treat....he loves raw oysters (not me). Maybe he can find someone to go with him:) I think you have to like raw oysters to be able to watch people eating them:)

I found their raw oysters to be nigh inedible... 

Edited by UnorigionalName

It’s an excellent price if you feel like you’d like to eat in specialty restaurants every night and some lunches that would be to much for us and would also take up to much time.

We enjoy the MDR and on Oasis class ships enjoy the three night dining package.

We’ve dined in Wonderland once and definitely wouldn’t go again more of an experience we felt rather than a meal.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Oxo said:

I didn't know that eas a no-no site?

I assumed it was Royal Caribbean Blog

That site is not affiliated with RCL and like many other links, not permitted. 

And we were one and done with Wonderland. Glad you enjoyed it. 

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

We had 11 specialty nights on the Symphony 14 night TA. Loved it. Ate several times at the outside patio at Chops, great change of pace. We did the L&S to Harmony 2021 a few weeks ago and booked the UDP yesterday. $279 pp for 14 nights and 12 lunches. Only Chef's table and Hibachi grill excluded.   Happy eating. Symphony is awesome 

Edited by taglovestocruise