Not as canceled as we thought

Spikesgirl

According to a CNN article:

The exception

There's one country in the Princess line-up that's been scheduled an earlier reprieve: Australia.
The cruise line said all trips in and out of Australia on their ships Majestic Princess, Regal Princess, Sapphire Princess, Sea Princess and Sun Princess can resume on October 31.

I am hoping that will include the Pacific Princess on Dec. 21

19 minutes ago, Spikesgirl said:

According to a CNN article:

The exception

There's one country in the Princess line-up that's been scheduled an earlier reprieve: Australia.
The cruise line said all trips in and out of Australia on their ships Majestic Princess, Regal Princess, Sapphire Princess, Sea Princess and Sun Princess can resume on October 31.

I am hoping that will include the Pacific Princess on Dec. 21

until Australia extends their cruise ship ban. As well as continues their restrictions on people traveling to Australia.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, npcl said:

until Australia extends their cruise ship ban. As well as continues their restrictions on people traveling to Australia.

and until the class action suit regarding the RUBY Princess against Carnival Corp and Princess is settled  ... years

3 hours ago, Spikesgirl said:

I somehow doubt that Australia has forgotten the super-spreader Ruby Princess...

• Like 1

Australia has two states with new covid19 cases, Victoria has a large number of new cases every day.    I would be very surprised to see them accepting cruise ships there even in November.

If they did I think it would be Australians only and no calls to Victoria or NSW.   

Remember that they have a 14 day hotel isolation that the pax have to pay for.

As many people want to do NZ at the same time, that won't be available; our borders are closed to non New Zealanders till there is a vaccine.   NCL and Princess have cancelled all NZ visits till the end of the southern summer 2021.

It's exactly as we thought... for anyone who bothered to read the Princess announcement anyway...

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/global-ship-operations-pause-december-2020.html

• All cruises sailing in and out of Australia on Majestic Princess, Regal Princess, Sapphire Princess, Sea Princess, and Sun Princess through October 31, 2020
  • All sailings in Asia, Caribbean, California Coast, Hawaii, Mexico, Panama Canal, South America & Antarctica, Japan, and Tahiti/South Pacific through December 15, 2020

Not at all confusing.

Edited by Outerdog

@Spikesgirl

I don't know that Princess have any right to say when cruises CAN start again in Australia.   I think that Scott Morrison and the Parliament will have lots to say about it.

• Like 1

As to the Ruby 'incident:' they stated suspicion but were granted permission:

ABF officers were “aware” that 11 passengers were in isolation on board with influenza-like illnesses. .....  

https://tramp-v2.herokuapp.com/news/australia-news/2020_may_10_anatomy-of-a-cruise-how-the-ruby-princess-came-to-dock-and-disembark-with-coronavirus 

and the review just gets worse

14 hours ago, npcl said:

I think this will definitely be the case. Some people are predicting cruising won't start here in Australian waters until our 21/22 summer season, being at least 12 months away from now. I hope it is not the case, but I would not be surprised. 

Here in Melbourne, Victoria, we have just introduced compulsory mask wearing outside your house and are into our second lock down. This could last for a while yet. We are allowed out of our house for only 4 essential reasons, and must wear a mask. 

11 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

I somehow doubt that Australia has forgotten the super-spreader Ruby Princess...

That is certainly the case. A law firm here (Shine Lawyers) has just announced they are filing a class action against Princess and associated companies on behalf of 800 people effected by the outbreak on the Ruby Princess. 

13 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Actually, Ruby Princess wasn't a super spreader. In the close quarters on a ship, it isn't surprising that 650 or so people became infected. Obviously one or more people boarded the ship unknowingly bringing the virus with them. However, the ship (or the passengers) weren't super-spreaders. There have been only 19 known cases of secondary infection.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Actually, Ruby Princess wasn't a super spreader.

I read it in an australian news report around the peak of the Ruby excitement.

The actual term 'super spreader' was used.

As I don't think there is any technical definition of the term, and (at least in the USA)

different news reports contain different 'facts'.

I think the current, mockable, term for that in the USA is 'alternate facts'.

Here's an example:

"The claims come after more than 600 passengers joined an Australian class action against Princess Cruises, with the coronavirus "super spreader" Ruby Princess ship responsible for a staggering ten percent of all Australia's coronavirus infections."

https://9now.nine.com.au/60-minutes/cruise-ship-contracts-bonus-scheme-revealed-to-60-minutes/31c30358-26d4-47eb-aa37-7b14bee07544

Edited by Roberto256

1 hour ago, Roberto256 said:

I read it in an australian news report around the peak of the Ruby excitement.

The actual term 'super spreader' was used.

As I don't think there is any technical definition of the term, and (at least in the USA)

different news reports contain different 'facts'.

I think the current, mockable, term for that in the USA is 'alternate facts'.

Here's an example:

"The claims come after more than 600 passengers joined an Australian class action against Princess Cruises, with the coronavirus "super spreader" Ruby Princess ship responsible for a staggering ten percent of all Australia's coronavirus infections."

https://9now.nine.com.au/60-minutes/cruise-ship-contracts-bonus-scheme-revealed-to-60-minutes/31c30358-26d4-47eb-aa37-7b14bee07544

I don't doubt for one minute that the media called the Ruby Princess a 'super spreader'. That ship and the Diamond were also called 'petri dishes'. In Australia, the media makes a beat-up of any story that can be negative with regard to cruise ships. Unfortunately when you read the story or listen to it, there are often basic errors showing that the person who compiled the story hadn't even been on a cruise ship.

Then we used to have the problem in Australia of the media mixing up the ships - Pacific Sun and Sun Princess; Pacific Dawn and Dawn Princess. That doesn't happen at the moment because we don't have the 'duplicate' names currently with the Pacific Sun and the Dawn Princess leaving their fleets and being re-named.

Princess is now selling cruises in Australia and NZ but only to residents of Australia and NZ. International travel is not recommended and overseas passengers must quarantine for 14 days at their own cost. Can’t see cruising resuming any time soon.

@sydgal

I wonder if Princess knows something that neither Australians nor New Zealanders know!!!     

I can't see the bubble be in place by the time that Princess hope the borders are open to each other.

Edited by casofilia

9 minutes ago, sydgal said:

Princess is now selling cruises in Australia and NZ but only to residents of Australia and NZ. International travel is not recommended and overseas passengers must quarantine for 14 days at their own cost. Can’t see cruising resuming any time soon.

We are booked since last year on the Majestic, sailing Jan. 24, 2021, Australia/New Zealand.  I tried to do a fake booking and it let me book all the way to the pay page.  I am from the U.S.

What cruises are you finding that are showing only residents of Australia/NZ are able to book?   I am fairly certain our cruise will be on the chopping block next, but it hasn't been cancelled yet.  Just wondered where you got this information.  

@ROWSE

Yours is still probably there as Princess are "assuming" that cruising will be "all go" after the 15th December.

I bet that the Australia/New Zealand citizens only applies to the latest cancellation statement  which only allows Australia & New Zealand cruises from now till 15th Decemeber.

I got an email from Princess cruises last week headed past passenger exclusive and under deal hub.It says offers are available to residents of Australia and NZ only. The cruises were for Jan and Feb 2021 on Regal and Sapphire

Edited by sydgal