Best Cruise line for like minded Tennis playing Scientist from VA?

imouer

I just want to say one more thing. It's one thing to choose a line because you want certain amenities like a butler or a private, less crowded restaurant,  or special entertainment and activities. 

I find it very problematic to choose a cruise line because you judge certain people as being beneath you and not good enough to share a table with you in the MDR.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Another vote for Celebrity.

Note: Someone please help...if I remember correctly, one of the Celebrity ships had a tennis court (a bit smaller than the regulation size)......or was that on another ship?...senior moment here.

QE has a full size paddle tennis court.

Think a NCL has a full size tennis court..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

I find it very problematic to choose a cruise line because you judge certain people as being beneath you and not good enough to share a table with you in the MDR.

Yeah thats not the issue, we want to make friends with people we can relate to.  Its that simple, if you like music, tennis, science, environmental activism, hiking etc then we can have a drink, a laugh and a good convo... if you are someone that thinks those things are stupid or fake news well... its not a good time for us... its not about judging other people, its about us finding the right fit to maximize our fun. Dont read too much into it.

Thinking Celebrity and MSC are on the list... I like the idea of being around more Europeans, they are fun.  When we first started cruising on Princess there use to be a lot of them and the food was different in a good way

19 minutes ago, imouer said:

Yeah thats not the issue, we want to make friends with people we can relate to.  Its that simple, if you like music, tennis, science, environmental activism, hiking etc then we can have a drink, a laugh and a good convo... if you are someone that thinks those things are stupid or fake news well... its not a good time for us... its not about judging other people, its about us finding the right fit to maximize our fun. Dont read too much into it.

Thinking Celebrity and MSC are on the list... I like the idea of being around more Europeans, they are fun.  When we first started cruising on Princess there use to be a lot of them and the food was different in a good way

I have to say, I agree with you, and it's not a case of thinking anyone is beneath you.  We too have noticed that the art of conversation is being lost.  We used to be the last ones in the MDR each night, with all the lively conversation around the table.  More recently, a typical first night opener was "We voted for xxxxx twice", or "I'm a doctor...."   What does one say from there??

We will add another vote for MSC, and not necessarily Yacht Club.  We were Bella, the lowest category, and just loved it.  Be sure to apply for reciprocal status, based on your highest level with another cruise line, before you book.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, imouer said:

This is starting to sound awfully familiar.  Are you the same one who, months ago, asked the same question because you were supposedly vilified on board because of your political views?  I remember that person was from VA and was bashing camo wearing Carnival cruisers.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

You do not have to think people are beneath you to want to avoid cruises dominated by people you will not enjoy having surround you.  A spring break booze cruise would be a horrible way to spend a week. I would not prefer having dinner with people in flip-flops, muscle shirts, and baseball caps to sitting with people who are interested in making dinner an opportunity to spend time sharing ideas —- experience just happens to show that people who do not care how they look generally do not make interesting dinner partners.

I do not like spending time surrounded by drunks, loudmouths or slobs, so it only makes sense to pick a ship more likely to be filled with more compatible fellow passengers.

• Like 3

I think it is very difficult to give a good recommendation to the OP in the current environment.  At this time we do not know what cruise lines will even survive and what they will be like post COVID-19 (if there ever is a post Covid-19).  But I would suggest to the OP that you have simply outgrown the Carnivals and RCIs.  I am not saying there is anything wrong with those lines, but many of us tend to change as we mature and that often means we would be happier changing our travel/vacation goals.  I am a good example.  For many years, DW and I considered RCI (then RCCL) as our favorite cruise line (our DD was Diamond before age 15).  But we changed, RCI changed, and we have not cruised that line in more then a decade.  Now, we are much more comfortable on lines like Seabourn, HAL, Crystal, etc.  

But at the risk of sounding "political" I am not sure looking for "like minded" is a good thing.  Yes, there is a relatively new trend to not want to listen to anyone who disagrees, or who might have a different perspective.  Personally, I love to hear a variety of opinions and truly enjoy folks who like to discuss (not preach) their views.  What a boring world if we all were "like minded."  That being said, we have found that the older we get the more we enjoy quality and quiet activity.  We no longer get a big kick out of watching a "Champagne Waterfall" and have absolutely no interest in seeing (and having to listen) to pool games.   These days it would be a good lecturer that would get me to leave my deck chair rather then an art auction.

The thing about cruise lines is that many of us grow up and our tastes change.   But most cruise lines continue to target the same groups...many of which we have simply outgrown.  Recognizing that and making adjustments is simply part of life.

Hank

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

But at the risk of sounding "political" I am not sure looking for "like minded" is a good thing.  Yes, there is a relatively new trend to not want to listen to anyone who disagrees, or who might have a different perspective.  Personally, I love to hear a variety of opinions and truly enjoy folks who like to discuss (not preach) their views.  What a boring world if we all were "like minded."  That being said, we have found that the older we get the more we enjoy quality and quiet activity.  We no longer get a big kick out of watching a "Champagne Waterfall" and have absolutely no interest in seeing (and having to listen) to pool games.   These days it would be a good lecturer that would get me to leave my deck chair rather then an art auction.

The thing about cruise lines is that many of us grow up and our tastes change.   But most cruise lines continue to target the same groups...many of which we have simply outgrown.  Recognizing that and making adjustments is simply part of life.

Hank

You're alluding to activities. The OP never mentioned "quiet" activities. For what it's worth, you can find a lot of quiet areas on Carnival. The OP was judging the other passengers as low class Walmart people. The OP never explained what "like minded" meant to him. Is there some guarantee that Cunard is going to be full of scientists or tennis players?

If one feels this way, why is it so hard to admit that your main driver is judging the other passengers and that all this talk of "quiet activities" is just a smoke screen? 

By the way, what are these "quiet activities?" Activities mean people and people make noise. How does that work?

Edited by cruizergal70

18 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

You're alluding to activities. The OP never mentioned "quiet" activities. For what it's worth, you can find a lot of quiet areas on Carnival. The OP was judging the other passengers as low class Walmart people. The OP never explained what "like minded" meant to him. Is there some guarantee that Cunard is going to be full of scientists or tennis players?

If one feels this way, why is it so hard to admit that your main driver is judging the other passengers and that all this talk of "quiet activities" is just a smoke screen? 

By the way, what are these "quiet activities?" Activities mean people and people make noise. How does that work?

Really??? 

You cannot see that different people have different preferences -- that someone might prefer discussing art or history to throwing down tequila shooters?  Cunard happens to have good live music while some other lines have loud pool parties.

It seems a weird kind of reverse snobbism for scorning someone for looking for a calmer, more sophisticated atmosphere.

Believe it or not, some of us can enjoy activities which  do not make a lot of noise.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2020 at 4:00 PM, imouer said:

What guarantee is there that Europeans can hold conversations better than Americans? Or that they will have more in common with you?

I sure hope this isn't coded language. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

What guarantee is there that Europeans can hold conversations better than Americans? Or that they will have more in common with you?

I sure hope this isn't coded language. 

Personally I have found Europeans to be as diverse in thought as much as any country where expression is allowed.  I wonder if the OP considers members of National Rally in France as "fun people?"  How about Geert Wilders in the Netherlands?  

My speculation is that the OP is a "worldly person" and simply wants to associate with those that share similar experiences and thoughts.   As I stated earlier, RCCL's Diamond Lounge has provided a great filter for me to meet somewhat like minded individuals on cruises.  Most we don't click with, but some we do and always form a group that lasts for at least the cruise.  We have met and made friends there with people from all over the world which is great.

Note that I once was on a cruise out of the UK filled with families on summer holiday and it was as wild as anything you can imagine on Carnival.  Never have I seen more beer and drinks consumed to excess than on that cruise through the Western Med.  It was still fun and my daughter made a long term friendship on this trip with a gal out of Scotland that she still keeps in contact with and visits with from more than 10 years ago.

Edited by SelectSys

On 7/29/2020 at 6:28 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Really??? 

You cannot see that different people have different preferences -- that someone might prefer discussing art or history to throwing down tequila shooters?  Cunard happens to have good live music while some other lines have loud pool parties.

It seems a weird kind of reverse snobbism for scorning someone for looking for a calmer, more sophisticated atmosphere.

Believe it or not, some of us can enjoy activities which  do not make a lot of noise.

What's interesting is that today's cancel culture contributes and reinforces this sentiment. 

Discussing art or history might be considered "privilege" and separation of activities based on personal preferences might need to be sacrificed for group values. 

As such, embrace those shooters and forget the past!  Just not too vigorously as you don't want to be accused of "appropriation" either!

Edited by SelectSys

3 hours ago, SelectSys said:

What's interesting is that today's cancel culture contributes and reinforces this sentiment. 

Discussing art or history might be considered "privilege" and separation of activities based on personal preferences might need to be sacrificed for group values. 

As such, embrace those shooters and forget the past!  Just not too vigorously as you don't want to be accused of "appropriation" either!

"Privilege" is now seen to be something to be ignored, shunned even renounced.  Of course, it is only the people who are "privileged" in being wealthy enough to give funds to support education, the arts, medical research, etc.;  or in being intelligent enough to see new ways around old problems.

If we ever stop throwing away the past (which has taught us everything we know), we might start to understand concepts which cannot be explained in anything more complex than a three or four word slogan.

As Alexander Hamilton put it in his own concise four word slogan "The masses are asses".  Groups only improve themselves by paying attention to individuals who dare to come up with notions which are not already pre-approved by the group.

Sorry! Anyone 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 4:30 PM, shipgeeks said:

More recently, a typical first night opener was "We voted for xxxxx twice", or "I'm a doctor...."   What does one say from there??

Hi 

You really have to go with the flow. Most often in these kind of situations first impressions are all that stick. 

You do have some flexibility in responding. With the voting for instance. You can be just as forward and state quite positively, I don't discuss politics with strangers, I am so looking forward to the steak. If they persist, just leave. Clearly, in that situation, they don't understand. You have no obligation. Something like the doctor, you go with it. If you offering a free consultation, maybe we can get together later. If it's just a matter of bragging, you can go over the top, just lie if need be. I am only taking this cruise while I am waiting for work on my yacht to be completed. It's nice once in a while to see how the masses travel. Have fun with people like that. Once they understand, they will either keep quiet or walk away themselves. 

hope this helps