Advice welcomed!

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Where is that surf and turf uncle Les, strike me pink I’ll even let ‘Em include the salad, that looks near on good enough to eat, maybe even if they’ve got a pie on the menu I might still fo the surf and turf.

as an aside Ye old Grand Hotel in Newie (between the Family Court and chambers so I had to pass the thing multiple times a day) used to do one with seafood mornay (swapping around the type of steak or various schnitzels underneath) a sad day when the dining room changed hands.

No pies mate, they are Irish owners, hang on, they did do a Guinness pie one year for St Patricks Day dinner.  Beef, carrots, onions, Guinness, gravy....here it is...The Irish cooks love using carrots.

th (2).jpg

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

It's only a matter of time before I get to Oz Les, how far from Sydney to Batehaven? as planned we have 3 days in Sydney but who knows what may happen. The whole plan looks to be headed for the bog so we may have to hit the reset button.

4 hr drive down the coast from Sydney CBD.  Very scenic.  A few good pie shops on the way also.

Edited by NSWP
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

No pies mate, they are Irish owners, hang on, they did do a Guinness pie one year for St Patricks Day dinner.  Beef, carrots, onions, Guinness, gravy....here it is...The Irish cooks love using carrots.

th (2).jpg

That one looks worth a go.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

th (2).jpg

I see that the Pie thread has migrated. 😁

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

I see that the Pie thread has migrated. 😁

I don't think it has migrated By The Bay. This is just the topic of the moment, we were talking about surf and turf not long ago. I'm sure this will wander for some time as the OP receives lots of information on many subjects. Remember the pie thread is 3 years old and still going strong. I'm not sure the OP has even read it in a long time.

On 8/1/2020 at 6:00 PM, BRANDEE said:

We went to a liquor store..box store..next to the Marriott circular quay hotel.  We were told it was only exported...we were buying wine to bring on the cruise.  Did end up with some other nice Australian wine, but guess he just didn't carry it and gave us a story!!  Went to a very nice winery in Napier..NZ while on cruise.

BRANDEE 

My dear old daddy said we don’t drink for the taste,we drink for the alcohol.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

BRANDEE 

I will drink to that, your daddy was a smart man.🍺🍷🥂🍸🥃🍾hic.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

BRANDEE 

While the premise is good, I suggest working your way through the tasty stuff first that way you are less likely to remember the unfortunate stuff. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

BRANDEE 

Not entirely. Non-alcoholic drinks are often very sweet, unless you just drink water, tea or coffee. Many types of alcohol are bitter/tart/sharp tasting and that enhances the drink IMHO, at least to someone like me who doesn't like overly sweet drinks. 

On 8/2/2020 at 1:15 AM, Blackduck59 said:

@code_d be aware that this thread will now wander through all sorts of topics. You may not have to ask any questions the answers will just come up.

I am seeing this 🙃

• Like 3

7 hours ago, code_d said:

I am seeing this 🙃

If you want a bit more seance for your research go to ports of call Australia,New Zealand.

But if you’re happy here ,we are pretty informal and ask lots of questions and give your best.

Hotel? Interests? Food? Age group? Are you all confirmed alcoholics?( every one has to have a hobby)  Budget?

As a "foodie" and a lover of wine I have enjoyed this thread, so I'm sorry to sort of get back on topic but....OP mentioned their trip was in March '21.  Wondering what the "local" thinking is regarding if things will be back open to foreign tourist by then.  We are also booked in March and wish I had a crystal ball looking forward.....

5 hours ago, mitz18 said:

As a "foodie" and a lover of wine I have enjoyed this thread, so I'm sorry to sort of get back on topic but....OP mentioned their trip was in March '21.  Wondering what the "local" thinking is regarding if things will be back open to foreign tourist by then.  We are also booked in March and wish I had a crystal ball looking forward.....

I am starting to really doubt it, especially from countries who haven’t got it under control.

5 hours ago, mitz18 said:

I think the OP said 2022.

Anyway, if I was crystal ball gazing, it would be telling me to look for a holiday somewhere else.

The government has not drawn back from saying borders are closed to mid 2021. Even Qantas has withdrawn all international flights until the end of March. 

7 hours ago, mitz18 said:

I can't see cruising happening in March '21. If anything did start up it would be short cruises for locals only but the chances of that happening would be very, very low. Australia would have to have had no community transmissions in all states for a considerable time before any cruising could start, and crew would have to quarantine before ships were allowed near an Australian port.

Ah, it's too depressing. Food and wine is far more interesting.