It Might Be A Bit Longer...

kismet618

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

We explained that in discussions here with the eager beavers that restarting cruises immediately for their gratification could put their future cruising farther away.

Hmmm, reminds me of someone here on this board.

36 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. Hmmm, I'm still wondering why some baseball players are testing covid positive and not the other sports (NBA, NHL).

NBA players are in a bubble and if they leave they have to go through quarantine before being able to rejoin their team.  It sound like that NHL is going more of a bubble route as well, but doing so in Canada by setting up 12 team hubs there.

Baseball seems to be the only one where the players go home in the US when not on the road.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, farmersfight said:

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. Hmmm, I'm still wondering why some baseball players are testing covid positive and not the other sports (NBA, NHL).

It was reported some of the Marlins players went out to a bar.  

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/ca.news.yahoo.com/amphtml/mlb-investigation-says-marlins-players-went-out-visited-bars-before-coronavirus-outbreak-224145396.html

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, billyu said:

Wow - meeting for cocktails - risking their health, others health, their careers & the teams capacity to play - comes @ a big price!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

Yes, and this is actually according to international law (which is a bit shocking to find out, so hopefully that will be changed soon) BUT the Norwegian Health Department let them sail on small cruises in Norway as long as they folowed the stricter NORWEGIAN  quarantine rules when coming from "red" countries - meaning  10 days quarantine in ISOLATION plus a covid-19 test before letting them on board the ship). And those rules obviously were not followed, so hence the scandal it has turned out to be (and also proof regarding quarantine without isolation is just a joke).

And leaked information from the contact between the management of Hurtigruten company, shows that they tried to keep it "a secret" that they had one (1) passenger with Covid-19 last week after Norwegian health authorities asked them to inform ALL CREW AND ALL PASSENGERS - and their decision  to NOT warn crew and passengers leaded up to this devastating situation with currently a total of 41 persons infected with Covid-19.

Thanks for the info.  Shows again that we can have all the rules in place but they are useless if not followed.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, seaman11 said:

a lot of signs are pointed toward air travel , yet it continues to be allowed and airlines now packing ppl in like sardines . but somehow cruises are the villian 

In case you missed it MLB takes Charter flights, not domestic. Either a member of the organization had it or one of the crew.

Edited by beerman2

The NBA is not in a bubble....it IS a bubble.  The players, coaches, staff, refs, announces, TV crews, and whatever family members they might have brought.  The bubble is a complex, not only of arenas, but hotels and condos.  Everyone entering the bubble is tested before entering, then forced to quarantine for a period, and then deemed "ok".  If anyone leaves the bubble, be it for a family emergency like Zion Williamson did, or be it for a strip club like Lou Williams, they must get tested daily while outside the bubble, sending the results to league health officials.  And when they return, they must go into quarantine for another X period while being tested daily.  Only when they complete quarantine and all negative tests are reported, are they allowed to rejoin their team, and be around other people inside the bubble. 

Since the NBA has started this, there has not been 1 single player test positive.  

I assume the NHL is doing the same, as the leagues exchanged ideas on their plans, but I'm not into hockey as much as basketball so can't say for certain.

The MLB on the other hand is allowing players to be free outside of the stadium.  Yes, they are being tested daily, and yes they are playing in empty stadiums, but after a game or on an off-day, the players are living at home or in a hotel on the road.  They are not isolated from the general public.  They are not "bubbleized" (just made that up lol).  And as we have seen, some people do not take the same precautions as others.  So if they go to a bar or a restaurant or a store or whatever, and aren't taking proper precautions, they can catch Covid from the general public.  Without quarantine measures when they return to the stadium, they can easily pass it on to teammates or staff.  And once it gets in a clubhouse, it spreads like wild fire.  

I don't know how this translates to cruising, since what the NBA is doing would not be possible unless every passenger and crew member was willing to subject themselves to a 14 day MONITORED quarantine before stepping foot on the ship, then not leaving the boat for the duration of the cruise, so they only interact with each other, and then when they disembark, the crew and new group of pax do the same before the next cruise.  But what the NBA doing seems to be working.  They have created their own little "Covid-free" community.  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

I assume the NHL is doing the same, as the leagues exchanged ideas on their plans, but I'm not into hockey as much as basketball so can't say for certain.

What the NHL is doing seems to be working also:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/nhl-says-zero-positive-covid-175838261.html

19 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

or be it for a strip club like Lou Williams

I didn't know strip clubs were essential businesses, lol.

Thanks for the great info MrMike45!

10 hours ago, Von & John said:

Wow - meeting for cocktails - risking their health, others health, their careers & the teams capacity to play - comes @ a big price!

Marlins (and now more teams, i.e. Cardinals) attitude: Rules for thee but not for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Unfortunately, 43 passengers of the Hurtigruten ship have tested positive. Norway is closing all ports. The CDC isn't going to like this. 

https://www.wxyz.com/news/national/coronavirus/norway-cruise-ship-passengers-with-coronavirus-reach-43

Sounds like we are ready to restart cruising in November!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Unfortunately, 43 passengers of the Hurtigruten ship have tested positive. Norway is closing all ports. The CDC isn't going to like this. 

https://www.wxyz.com/news/national/coronavirus/norway-cruise-ship-passengers-with-coronavirus-reach-43

Yeah, if the CDC was looking at this as a "trial balloon", it looks like the balloon has popped.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Just for the record:

The correct number for the recent Covid-19 outbreak on one of the Hurtigruten expedition ships, is this morning (08.00 AM local time in Norway, Wednesday August 5th):

35 CREW and 9 passengers - NOT 43 passengers.

And Norway is NOT closing  all ports for all ships - only for cruiseships with more than 100 persons on board. But the cruises that are currently "in progress" in Norway, are allowed to finish their route without anyone getting off until disembarkation port, and there passengers are only being allowed to leave the ship(s) after they have tested negative for the Covid-19. 

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

Just for the record:

The correct number for the recent Covid-19 outbreak on one of the Hurtigruten expedition ships, is this morning (08.00 AM local time in Norway, Wednesday August 5th):

And Norway is NOT closing  all ports for all ships - only for cruiseships with more than 100 persons on board. But the cruises that are currently "in progress" in Norway, are allowed to finish their route without anyone getting off until disembarkation port, and there passengers are only being allowed to leave the ship(s) after they have tested negative for the Covid-19. 

Oh boy, media at it's finest, and I think AP is  one of the best. Thanks for the additional information. I took my post directly from the article:

image.png.9c98bd460f2c7439861b36101a27c369.png

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

Just for the record:

Thank you for the clarification. I was a bit worried when I read the initial post but this puts it in the proper perspective. Thanks again, @TrumpyNor!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Oh boy, media at it's finest, and I think AP is  one of the best. Thanks for the additional information. I took my post directly from the article:

image.png.9c98bd460f2c7439861b36101a27c369.png

11 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Thank you for the clarification. I was a bit worried when I read the initial post but this puts it in the proper perspective. Thanks again, @TrumpyNor!

Unfortunately the numbers keep rising: 

Now 37 crew members and 16 passengers confirmed.

This is such a sad story that could have been avoided if they (the ship management) followed the rules and regulations like they were supposed to do....).

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

So you only get worried when it is the crew who are infected? I believe a positive test for Covid is a positive test regardless if it's crew or passengers. For me, the 'proper perspective' is that the numbers for both crew and passengers keep rising and it's a very sad situation.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/08/04/hurtigruten-cruise-norway-ship-passengers-have-covid-19-paul-gauguin/5579738002/

Keep poking the bear.

3 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

Unfortunately the numbers keep rising: 

Now 37 crew members and 16 passengers confirmed.

This is such a sad story that could have been avoided if they (the ship management) followed the rules and regulations like they were supposed to do....).

Yes, I heard on a YouTuber's cruise channel yesterday about Hurtigruten not following procedure. Apparently, it stemmed from a misunderstanding about the definition of quarantine. The affected crewmembers assumed it just meant they couldn't leave the ship, but COULD go about their daily duties. I would imagine that as time goes on, cruise lines will learn from missteps such as these and take proper precautions. It's definitely going to be a learning process as we return to sailing. I for one never assumed that the resumption of cruises was going to be 100% trouble-free. That certainly hasn't been the case on land. Life will go on.

7 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

UnCruise, Alaska’s first cruise (aka dinghy) to sail was forced to return to port with covid- 

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020/08/04/alaskas-first-cruise-ship-of-2020-returns-to-port-early-after-passenger-tests-positive-for-covid-19/

And....another domino falls. The way this thing is going, the title of this thread should be changed to "It Might Be A Lot Longer". I'm believing more and more that a truly safe & effective vaccine is cruising's only hope.

• Like 2