It Might Be A Bit Longer...

kismet618

On 8/1/2020 at 12:12 PM, seaman11 said:

This is horrible news,  no Sailings out of North America for some time.  they need to stop getting crew from infected countries and screen and test crew more often.  smfh.   

So much for that April 2020 restart, amirite?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

I was almost ready to book the Windstar Tahiti 11 day on 7/21/2021 but held off as I doubt it will go. I am ready to cancel my 1/30/21 Celebrity sailing from San Juan - no way that one is going. Now I am more confident on my 2/23/22 sailing...... I think!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For what it's worth, I agree. IMO Nothing is sailing from the USA in January of 2021 (but I didn't think anything was sailing from the USA in January of 2021 before the news this weekend with Hurtigruten, Paul Gauguin, and Costa).  

I re-booked our January of 2021 South America to January of 2022 and, like you, "I think" it will go, but if you think the USA is in trouble with Covid, the news out of Santiago and Buenos Aries is sad sad sad. At this point I need more data before I can safely believe January of 2022 is a go.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

I have to say, I'm really on the fence when it comes to cruises prior to 3-4th quarters 2021. What that means for me is that I need to find replacements for my April 2021 - 11-day and 15-day cruises on the Jade. 

The good news; I have lots of time to find some late 2021 or 2022 cruises for replacements, the bad news; I can't find any that meet my destination wants and financial needs/wants requirements. 

Oh well, time will tell. 

Cheers 🍹

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fisherguy said:

Are the crews not quarantining for 14 days before they start working?  Our berry pickers from overseas have to quarantine for 14 days in a secure facility before they are allowed to work.  

Maybe, but, for the most part, cruise ships depart from US ports, not Canadian (I love Vancouver). 

The requirements are likely different, perhaps even by state, not just country. 

Different country, in some ways, different world, sadly. 

Stay safe!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

I was almost ready to book the Windstar Tahiti 11 day on 7/21/2021 but held off as I doubt it will go. I am ready to cancel my 1/30/21 Celebrity sailing from San Juan - no way that one is going. Now I am more confident on my 2/23/22 sailing...... I think!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Got incredible prices on my Windstar cruises so I'm holding tight for the moment. Barring the cruise line defaults there is no harm in a deposit on WS. Insurance and credit card protect me on default. If you get a decent price on 7/21/21 why not? We have done Wind Spirit Tahiti now several times and truly- it's worth the anxiety!

6 hours ago, fisherguy said:

Are the crews not quarantining for 14 days before they start working?  Our berry pickers from overseas have to quarantine for 14 days in a secure facility before they are allowed to work.  

Apparantly according to international "Covid-19 law for crew on ships" (I have no idea what it is called officially, but that is what the CEO of Hurtigruten was referring to), all crew on board had been in "quarantine" on board - and that just meant not being allowed to go ashore in ports, they were still allowed to perform their workduties on board - NOT being distanced from other crewmembers AND passengers... 

On 8/1/2020 at 2:12 PM, seaman11 said:

This is horrible news,  no Sailings out of North America for some time.  they need to stop getting crew from infected countries and screen and test crew more often.  smfh.   

What countries not infected? I can't think of any. This mess is worldwide.

6 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

Apparantly according to international "Covid-19 law for crew on ships" (I have no idea what it is called officially, but that is what the CEO of Hurtigruten was referring to), all crew on board had been in "quarantine" on board - and that just meant not being allowed to go ashore in ports, they were still allowed to perform their workduties on board - NOT being distanced from other crewmembers AND passengers... 

I'm so sorry to hear that. I did read in another source that the 33 infected were from the Philippines. 

Bottom line: the air travel is the hot spot. You can be tested negative, produce doctor's letter and be healthy within 72 hours before you travel but can still get infected while travelling to the ship. Very few flights coming to Bermuda - about 1/4 normal and planes have been less than 1/2 full.

Bermuda had been virus free for 3 weeks until the airport reopened to commercial travel on July 1. Then there have been several positive cases - all from the air arrivals! Worst are the ones on Delta from Atlanta. The 72 hours thing do not work. Fortunately Bermuda is strict. All arrivals are tested (nose cavity swabs) on arrival, again on Day 3, 7 and 14.

Unfortunately for us, we're booked on two Hurtigruten trips in December this year - they were booked back in January - before the Covid hell. We are going to cancel them (final payment due in Sept) anyway as we are not going to risk ourselves air travelling via the USA or UK to Norway, period. We're hoping that Hurtigruten will refund (or at least put it into credit for future) the 20% non-refundable deposit that we paid.

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

Thanks , I may book. Haven’t been in Windstar for a couple of years how much deposit $ do they want these days??

Oh, you really should consider it! That ship is made for Tahiti- sails go up and it's magical. Deposit isn't cheap 15%, but as an alumni you get 5% off the fare. WS was giving $400 OBC. We do it every year and it still knocks our socks off. At the moment you need to get a COVID test 72 hours prior to boarding your flight, and another 4 days after you embark but small price to pay. I'm assuming there may be another step to the process after the PG person got sick, but who knows what will happen by 7/2021. We may even have a vaccine. The ships have little availability so if you're going to hold something do it soon. And come see the WS board. Happy cruising in the future.

9 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

So basically the crew were allowed to work and mingle together without waiting the 14 day incubation period.  

19 minutes ago, fisherguy said:

So basically the crew were allowed to work and mingle together without waiting the 14 day incubation period.  

Yes, and this is actually according to international law (which is a bit shocking to find out, so hopefully that will be changed soon) BUT the Norwegian Health Department let them sail on small cruises in Norway as long as they folowed the stricter NORWEGIAN  quarantine rules when coming from "red" countries - meaning  10 days quarantine in ISOLATION plus a covid-19 test before letting them on board the ship). And those rules obviously were not followed, so hence the scandal it has turned out to be (and also proof regarding quarantine without isolation is just a joke).

And leaked information from the contact between the management of Hurtigruten company, shows that they tried to keep it "a secret" that they had one (1) passenger with Covid-19 last week after Norwegian health authorities asked them to inform ALL CREW AND ALL PASSENGERS - and their decision  to NOT warn crew and passengers leaded up to this devastating situation with currently a total of 41 persons infected with Covid-19.

Edited by TrumpyNor

3 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Bottom line: the air travel is the hot spot.

3 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Bermuda had been virus free for 3 weeks until the airport reopened to commercial travel on July 1. Then there have been several positive cases - all from the air arrivals!

I suspect you may be correct. Take major league sports here in the U.S for example. 3 leagues have started back up again; MLB, NBA & NHL. Of the 3, only MLB has reported positive covid cases (multiple teams). NBA & NHL do not.

The difference? The NBA & NHL are playing all their games in the same location (no air travel involved). Note: NHL is using 2 locations only - Edmonton & Toronto. MLB visiting teams are flying to the home teams' parks. Lots of air travel. It's getting to the point where MLB is considering shutting down again.

Air travel may indeed be the culprit.

• Like 1

Here is an update on the Paul Gauguin (a division of Ponant) cruise with confirmed Covid.  One passenger is confirmed and removed from the ship with their cabin mate. I read another article that indicated they were Americans, but I haven't been able verify.

Currently passengers are confined to their cabins while waiting for additional testing. Paul Gauguin has not stated how long passengers will be restricted to their cabins. The standard seems to now be 10 days if exposed in the United States, but some places are still using 14 days.  

https://thepointsguy.com/news/paul-gauguin-cruise-ship-covid-crisis/

I anticipate that the weekend events with Paul Gauguin,  Hurtigruten, the cancelled AIDA start ups, and  the Covid positive crew on Costa, will have lasting damage to the perception of the cruise industry. Sure we (CC community) are forgiving, but I'm not sure what the general population is going to do.  Hopefully they have very short memories.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

I suspect you may be correct. Take major league sports here in the U.S for example. 3 leagues have started back up again; MLB, NBA & NHL. Of the 3, only MLB has reported positive covid cases (multiple teams). NBA & NHL do not.

The difference? The NBA & NHL are playing all their games in the same location (no air travel involved). Note: NHL is using 2 locations only - Edmonton & Toronto. MLB visiting teams are flying to the home teams' parks. Lots of air travel. It's getting to the point where MLB is considering shutting down again.

MLB uses Charter Fligts, so if the players got it, it was from themselves or flight crew.

Not just some random passenger.

I have watched a couple of games and not all players/benches are Social Distancing. I thought that was mandatory. (6 ft)

Edited by beerman2
  • Thanks 1

I anticipate that the weekend events with Paul Gauguin,  Hurtigruten, the cancelled AIDA start ups, and  the Covid positive crew on Costa, will have lasting damage to the perception of the cruise industry. Sure we (CC community) are forgiving, but I'm not sure what the general population is going to do.  Hopefully they have very short memories.

Lasting damage is what some of us feared would happen if cruise lines restarted too soon. We explained that in discussions here with the eager beavers that restarting cruises immediately for their gratification could put their future cruising farther away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I anticipate that the weekend events with Paul Gauguin,  Hurtigruten, the cancelled AIDA start ups, and  the Covid positive crew on Costa, will have lasting damage to the perception of the cruise industry. Sure we (CC community) are forgiving, but I'm not sure what the general population is going to do. 

Outside of a few thousand members on here that apparently can't find a way to live their lives without stepping onboard a cruise ship, the general population has not and will not book cruises. At this point, it is a race to see if a vaccine can be developed and safely released to the masses before the cruise lines bank accounts hit zero. There is irreparable short-term damage to the industry as a whole. It will take many years for the industry to recover and I suspect the industry will look vastly different if and when it does recover.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Here is an update on the Paul Gauguin (a division of Ponant) cruise with confirmed Covid.  One passenger is confirmed and removed from the ship with their cabin mate. I read another article that indicated they were Americans, but I haven't been able verify.

Currently passengers are confined to their cabins while waiting for additional testing. Paul Gauguin has not stated how long passengers will be restricted to their cabins. The standard seems to now be 10 days if exposed in the United States, but some places are still using 14 days.  

https://thepointsguy.com/news/paul-gauguin-cruise-ship-covid-crisis/

The PG ship, while not large - about the size of the original Love Boat - only has about a dozen port hole rooms with the rest being balcony or better.  I know when we sailed them they were not generally sailing full (and based on info on the PG Board).

They just started again late July with FP opening up IIRC 7/15.  I recall all the precautions by FP and PG had and thinking  there would be no way we'd risk all the money and travel to go there with the possibility of getting denied boarding.  Seems since Ponant has taken over they have refused to refund monies and the regulars on PG are not happy (nor would I be).

We were supposed to do a 11 day end of June but we cancelled last year due to other conflicts.  IIRC FP was going to require some type of medical clearance as part of them allowing people into the country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, farmersfight said:

They are NOT in the bubble that is the key thing, once you lose control then the ability for something to get in increase exponentially.   Air Travel has risk, but not as large as the huge level of person-person interaction when you go out and about

3 hours ago, farmersfight said:

a lot of signs are pointed toward air travel , yet it continues to be allowed and airlines now packing ppl in like sardines . but somehow cruises are the villian 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

a lot of signs are pointed toward air travel , yet it continues to be allowed and airlines now packing ppl in like sardines . but somehow cruises are the villian 

One is solely a luxury venture, the other is a necessary mode of transportation.  Air travel for luxury vacations should absolutely be banned.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, farmersfight said:

From what I recall of the way baseball is operating the players stay at home when not on the road.  So just like many other households who can say what the players do and who they might come in contact with when at home.

35 minutes ago, npcl said:

From what I recall of the way baseball is operating the players stay at home when not on the road.  So just like many other households who can say what the players do and who they might come in contact with when at home.

Very true also. But for some reason, I am suspicious about air travel (for the reason I stated above) since baseball players have to board a tight, confined and enclosed plane for hours at a time to get to the home team's baseball stadium.