Archive fun for non-cruising boredom

mayleeman

8 hours ago, chemmo said:

Going back to the time when drinks packages were not available the Elite/Diamond cocktail time did mean a significant saving on your drinks bill! Those who tend to price without perks can still really benefit from this. Also even the top suites didn’t have free laundry, WiFi etc so loyalty discounts were of value.

We are D+ and E+, most of our RC cruises were some years ago now. On RC ‘loyalty’ seems more important. Many people wear their pins with pride and conversations may move from ‘Where are you from?’ To ‘What loyalty level are you?’. Never been asked any of this on a Celebrity ship!! Obviously this is simply our observation, others may have found different.

There were two changes that altered the ‘value’ of the perks for some people, the introduction of drinks and other perk packages packages and the Suite Life programme. If you have a drinks package and a WiFi package then free drinks and a WiFi discount are meaningless. Book in a suite and the duplication becomes even more evident. Not an issue for us, all about choices, but as you are aware some people do feel that their ‘hard earned and paid for’ Elite perks have limited monetary value, hence the discussions. 

I agree that X’s Perk program has taken a lot of the social interaction out of Its rewards program.  I remember when we went to Ak and I think there were 6 of us In the Elite lounge .  Then the boomers hit and it became Too crowded and then perks hit and its gone the other way again.  I know its just a marketing tool but we use it all the time...although I still haven’t played bingo.  Lol

Celebrities biggest error was the names of their categories.  Only a certain group of people really want to be Elite and Elite PLUS.   Lol.  And 99 % Of us Will never make Zenith.  Although in its day it was a great ship even without balconies.

The very best perk of all was priority tenders.  Now its not even in the rules (but its there). Most ports dock even The biggest ships now or they don't go to those ports at all.  Grand Cayman an exception. 

Edited by LeftcoastBC
  • Like 1

Been posting here for a long time after using another site for awhile,  they changed the format so I switched,

Lots of great info exchanged...met  lots of new friends via the roll calls.  The recent EDGIE thread was excellent. Trying to do the same with the ALL ABOUT APEX thread.

• Like 1

Joined in March, 2002 and a relative newbie when compared to some. I've met many posters on board and some have become real  friends. I now plan cruises based on what some of my CC friends are booking. There seems to be more anger expressed today than in the early years where people seemed to be more focused on information sharing. This might be a function of size and demographics.  I often go to the Crystal board and see the information sharing  and civility that the Celebrity board exhibited in the past.

Edited by Orator
  • Like 1

OP, You're right, perusing some of the old topics can be fun.

One I just read was about the beds -- what size they are.  That led me to recalling that in our earliest days of cruising, we had to study the deck plans to make sure we got the type of bed we wanted, as they were not movable/adaptable as they are now.  If we wanted a double or two twins, that's the code we had to look for before we booked.

There was also a discussion about whether cabin tap water is safe to drink.

And we do remember the Informal dress code.  DH usually noted that 99% of the men were in navy blue blazers -- or was that Casual nights?  Three levels of dress expectations during each cruise.

• Like 1

I believe I joined right after I booked our second cruise on the Millennium. I don't know how we did our first cruise without all of the help we got from CC. It does seem to have a different tone than years ago, but I feel you could say that about a lot of internet venues. Especially a venue this large.

For the most part, I feel there are a lot of amazing generous people here. I am sure most of us get tired of the same questions being asked (especially when it is obvious the poster didn't even look at the first page to see if their question was already asked), or the first time posters who rail against the cruise line for the injustices that they had to endure. Often they do not receive the response that they were expecting and up leaving in a huff to never return.

One nice feature on CC is being able to block posters (I have a few blocked). If you hover your cursor over their name, you will be given the option to block them. It is also interesting to go and look at a persons past postings, you get a true feel of who they really are.

• Like 2

We’ve been cruising since almost 20 years but I joined CC only much later. Have always enjoyed interacting with fellow cruisers and got loads of useful tips over the years, have tried to give back a bit too. 

The Roll Calls used to be very active but nowadays very few people sign up, with naturally much less information on ports and tours. Some threads get to be pretty nasty at times, but I see this trend on other travel forums too. People are impatient and quick to make cutting remarks or comments, though most posters are helpful and friendly. 

I continue to believe in the innate goodness of humanity and must say for the most part I haven’t been disappointed!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Orator said:

Joined in March, 2002 and a relative newbie when compared to some. I've met many posters on board and some have become real  friends. I now plan cruises based on what some of my CC friends are booking. There seems to be more anger expressed today than in the early years where people seemed to be more focused on information sharing. This might be a function of size and demographics.  I often go to the Crystal board and see the information sharing  and civility that the Celebrity board exhibited in the past.

Changing demographics, changes in the experience, but still enough info sharing to be worthwhile,. Try to ignore the  contentious  or rude posts.

Used to be  a "Country Club at Sea"...many repeat cruisers, fewer ships..got to know folks ..cruisers,  officers  and staff...after sailing with them over and over.

Still booking with X....if we can sail again

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, REEtired said:

especially the chocolate ones...yum!

Actually, I love the plain waffles.  I try to make "close" friends on the roll call with some wonderful Canadians.  And then I "butter them up", (the waffles and the Canadians 😉),  into bringing some pure Canadian maple syrup.  🤠

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Mike981 said:

It is also interesting to go and look at a persons past postings, you get a true feel of who they really are.

I haven't blocked anyone --- yet.

That is so true--- it doesn't take long to figure out who's who.

I'll bet years ago there were not as many " xxxx " ( can't say it ) on CC.

Lately, I have noticed the same "xxxx "  continuously pick fights on everything some of us ( I ) post.

" Stick with the best and ignore the rest " 

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

Lately, I have noticed the same "xxxx "  continuously pick fights on everything some of us ( I ) post.

Also, there were sometimes posts that were unintentionally funny.   One of my favorites and I will not mention names was a poster who loved to go to the Elite Breakfast and get his Bloody Mary''s.   The only thing was that  when he brought it up and it occurred several times he would always refer to going to the breakfast and have my morning BM.  

Going back a few years and not on the archives now was when Celebrity had the Legionaires Disease outbreak in the hot tubs on the Horizon. 

Edited by dkjretired

2 hours ago, Pinboy said:

There is one on this thread that you are having "fun" with, I have blocked.

21 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

There is one on this thread that you are having "fun" with, I have blocked.

Wasn't hard to figure out ---

LOL---- I'm still waiting for their reply re the " agitator " comment. 

On 8/4/2020 at 2:36 PM, dkjretired said:

Also, there were sometimes posts that were unintentionally funny.   One of my favorites and I will not mention names was a poster who loved to go to the Elite Breakfast and get his Bloody Mary''s.   The only thing was that  when he brought it up and it occurred several times he would always refer to going to the breakfast and have my morning BM.  

Going back a few years and not on the archives now was when Celebrity had the Legionaires Disease outbreak in the hot tubs on the Horizon. 

Is that why the Zenith had the hot huts in the top aft area but Horizon did not?