Will emailing socialmedia@hollandamerica speed up refund?

ann1bell

Hello! I was notified in late January that I would be receiving a reimbursement From HAL for a non refundable hotel room charge related to the Feb. 1 cancellation of the N. Amsterdam because of mechanical issues. This was before the pandemic hit.

I was promised a refund by the end of March. My TA and I have called and emailed numerous times about this but have only been told to wait. I know others with later cancellations have gotten their refunds. I have not received my check. 

I posted my frustration on the July 10 HAL FB post addressing their refund process. I was surprised to see a response there from HAL requesting that I email my booking info to them at socialmedia@hollandamerica.com. I have sent and received emails from other departments like guest relations, etc, but have never been told to email social media. 

Has anyone used the socialmedia email address to contact HAL? Has it speeded up the refund process? Or is this just another way for HAL to kick the can down the road? Thanks! 

If you received a reply with an additional email to contact, I'd do that - it means somebody actually saw your posting.  You have nothing to lose at this point.   Good luck, and let us know how this turns out!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

I’ve had some luck with certain FB posts when I am told to contact their social media email.

They asked you to email them.  why not?  Reference what you posted (copy and paste it if you like) and send them the email.

he/she who doesn’t ask, doesn’t get.  It’s only an email.  I’d send it — if nothing else, It adds to your ammunition if needed.

• Like 1

Ask your travel agent to contact his/her HAL sales rep (Business Development Manager) and ask for help.

Your issue is overdue to be resolved.  

The sales dept wants their travel agents happy, so they'll keep booking future cruises.   

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 1

I have already disputed the charge with my cc company. It was denied. My hotel reservation was through Hotwire and was non refundable. Holland America’s reimbursing my room charge is the only option. 

18 hours ago, ann1bell said:

I have already disputed the charge with my cc company. It was denied. My hotel reservation was through Hotwire and was non refundable. Holland America’s reimbursing my room charge is the only option. 

Had you booked your hotel room thru HAL (obviously more expensive) I suspect you would have your money back. I booked a hotel room via Hotel.com for one night prior to a cancelled Zuiderdam cruise. It was a non-refundable booking and I knew that when I booked. Therefore NO reimbursement from Hotel.com nor the actual hotel, although I was told that the hotel would honor the payment for a year if I should re-book. Of course the chances of me being in Quebec City within the year are zero. Still, it seemed like a very nice offer.

I realized that it was a risk I took to save money and never thought to request a refund from HAL. In my opinion, the bottom line is, most of the time you win financially, but there is always a "risk" and I accepted that when I booked the hotel. In reality, it was only about $100 and certainly not the end of the world. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LoveHAL said:

Had you booked your hotel room thru HAL (obviously more expensive) I suspect you would have your money back. I booked a hotel room via Hotel.com for one night prior to a cancelled Zuiderdam cruise. It was a non-refundable booking and I knew that when I booked. Therefore NO reimbursement from Hotel.com nor the actual hotel, although I was told that the hotel would honor the payment for a year if I should re-book. Of course the chances of me being in Quebec City within the year are zero. Still, it seemed like a very nice offer.

I realized that it was a risk I took to save money and never thought to request a refund from HAL. In my opinion, the bottom line is, most of the time you win financially, but there is always a "risk" and I accepted that when I booked the hotel. In reality, it was only about $100 and certainly not the end of the world. 

I also use Hotels.com and had a better experience.  As they told me, it depends on the hotel whether or not they will reimburse nonrefundable payments.  But Hotels.com went to bat for me and I was able to get reimbursed for 2 hotels recently due to Covid. Luckily because one was just under $1000 for 4 nights in Sydney.  I doubt I'll be getting to Sydney now for a long time if ever. 

• Thanks 1

My Hotwire room was quite expensive because it was during the Super Bowl weekend. The hotel refused to let me make any changes.

Holland America volunteered to reimburse me and informed me in writing that I would get a check from them. 

5 hours ago, ann1bell said:

My Hotwire room was quite expensive because it was during the Super Bowl weekend. The hotel refused to let me make any changes.

Holland America volunteered to reimburse me and informed me in writing that I would get a check from them. 

That is great news, ann1.

Glad to hear a good news ending. 🙂 

• 3 weeks later...

I do not know if my FB post on HAL’s page helped, but I got my reimbursement check today, Aug 27! Yay! The email approving the check from HAL was dated Jan. 23. I waited over seven months but got the money today. So relieved! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ann1bell said:

I do not know if my FB post on HAL’s page helped, but I got my reimbursement check today, Aug 27! Yay! The email approving the check from HAL was dated Jan. 23. I waited over seven months but got the money today. So relieved! 

That's good news, thanks for your update.

• Like 2