August 2020 revision Carnival ships by class

BigAl94

Looking at that page, I found it interesting that all of the previous classes of ships were named for the first in that class.  I see that the Mardi Gras is the first ship in the Excel Class.  I wonder why they changed from naming the class after the first ship in that class.

1 hour ago, RWolver672 said:

Looking at that page, I found it interesting that all of the previous classes of ships were named for the first in that class.  I see that the Mardi Gras is the first ship in the Excel Class.  I wonder why they changed from naming the class after the first ship in that class.

The press release announcing the ship said the naming was to honor the previous vessel in their early fleet and in recognition of the upcoming 50th anniversary of the line. They could have satisfied the tradition of naming the first ship after the class too with the name Mardi Gras Excel 😉 

2 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

It’s difficult to understand why a company like Carnival makes the decisions they make, when they can’t even come up with a unique name for which should be their nicest ship to date. 

On 8/5/2020 at 7:19 AM, BigAl94 said:

That Imagination and Fascination are also being scrapped?

On 8/5/2020 at 7:23 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

They are in “long term layup”, which I think is the term they are using until they can sell them too. 

Likely to be scrapped but still currently under possession of Carnival in long term layup. Should they decide, these two can easily return to service.

Don’t count on it though.

3 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

22 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

It’s difficult to understand why a company like Carnival makes the decisions they make, when they can’t even come up with a unique name for which should be their nicest ship to date. 

Trends change over time. Carnival Excel sounds stupid but that’s my opinion.

5 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Likely to be scrapped but still currently under possession of Carnival in long term layup. Should they decide, these two can easily return to service.

Don’t count on it though.

I think it’s far more likely Carnival removes/sells more ships from their fleet than putting ships back into service. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think it’s far more likely Carnival removes/sells more ships from their fleet than putting ships back into service. 

Agreed. It’s not likely for service to resume and they’re probably just trying to find someone who will pay more than $7 million for the ship instead of just sending them to the scrapyard now.

Until sold though, they still belong to Carnival.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 2

I’m giving less than 5% odds on the two laid up ships to return to service under any brand. Likely Alang can only work on so many ships at a time and they are waiting for availability. No risk to the holding pattern until then on a final decision.

57 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

It is not uncommon to rename ships, ncl, royal and hal have done it

22 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

I’m giving less than 5% odds on the two laid up ships to return to service under any brand. Likely Alang can only work on so many ships at a time and they are waiting for availability. No risk to the holding pattern until then on a final decision.

Alang was shut down for COVID, but recently reopened. Given Carnival's environmental track record, they'll likely wait for an opening at Aliağa or another scrapyard that can comply with EU regulations, especially since Fascination is laid up at Cadiz, Spain.

I also think it's possible Ecstasy may be gone in 2022 due to her age and being due for drydock then. If Fascination can be kept in layup that long, she could wind up replacing Ecstasy.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Aliaga in Turkey, not Alang - hopefully!

42 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

To me it shows a lack of creativity. However, I am also not a fan of movie remakes, TV show remakes, etc., so I definitely am biased in this area. 

Cannot argue your point.  It gets further convoluted when cruise lines pick the same names for ships already named by other lines, Carnival Freedom and Freedom of the Seas, Disney Magic and Carnival Magic, etc..

44 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

To me it shows a lack of creativity. However, I am also not a fan of movie remakes, TV show remakes, etc., so I definitely am biased in this area. 

Now to your other point I would argue there are some remakes that are very good, A Star is Born as example.  Not trying to go off topic....

10 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Cannot argue your point.  It gets further convoluted when cruise lines pick the same names for ships already named by other lines, Carnival Freedom and Freedom of the Seas, Disney Magic and Carnival Magic, etc..

Radiance. Liberty. Dream. Splendor. Legend. Fantasy.

Jewel.

Princess: how many times will we use Royal, Regal, Sky, Pacific, etc.?

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

It is actually Brilliant!!!!

Which comes first alphabetically? Carnival or Disney/Royal?

22 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

that kind of drives me crazy. There are a lot of words in the English language plus many more in others that can be used to excellent effect. Why would you name your new ship the same thing a competitor named their ship?