Sad picture

The former NCL Seaward. She was our third cruise. It was a decent ship, but built on the cheap. Lots of astroturf on top decks with thin metal plating. Seaward debuted in 1988 and was NCL's first new ship built for the line after 1971's Southward. The longest gap in their history without newbuilds. 

A few photos I took onboard from 1995.

img03042022_061.jpg

img03042022_063.jpg

img03042022_026.jpg

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

May be an image of outdoors

Former Star Cruises ship Libra.

Photo by Selim San

Nice to see those old junkers get scrapped and turned into something new again. 

Like Mufasa said; "When we die, our bodies become the grass, and the antelope eat the grass. And so we are all connected in the great Circle of Life." 

So when I see those photo's think of a brand new cruise ship made from some of the recycled materials or a new electric car, or iPhone 22, or ....

🎶Nants ingonyama bagithi baba ... 🎶

Edited by DirtyDawg

• 2 months later...

The former Celebrity Cruises and Pullmantur Cruises cruise ship Zenith has arrived at the ship-breaking yard in Alang, India. The 30-year-old cruise ship, which is currently anchored off the coast of Alang, will be broken up for scrap metal in the coming months. Zenith was built in 1992 by the Meyer shipyard in Papenburg, Germany. 

The ship follows her sister, Horizon, which arrived at the ship-breaking yard in Aliaga, Turkey, a little over three weeks ago, also to be scrapped. Both ships sailed for Celebrity Cruises and Spanish cruise line Pullmantur.

May be an image of nature

Zenith Awaits Scrapping in India

Built in 1992 at the world-famous Meyer shipyard in Papenburg, Germany, after almost thirty years of service, Zenith has reached her final destination. The former Celebrity Cruises and Pullmantur cruise ship arrived at the Alang shipbreaking yard in Alang, India, where she will be broken up into scrap metal. 

The 47,413 gross tons cruise ship is currently anchored off the coast of Alang, awaiting the moment she will be beached in preparation for breaking work to commence. 

Since 2021, Zenith had been awaiting her fate in Greece, where she remained until recently. She then sailed to Oman, where she was renamed TSM Singapore, until the time came to set course to Alang.

Zenith was built by the Meyer shipyard in Germany for Celebrity Cruises and started her career sailing from Florida to the Caribbean and Bermuda. She was operational for Celebrity Cruises through 2007. In 2007 Zenith was transferred to Pullmantur Cruises, the Spanish cruise line owned by Royal Caribbean Group.

From 2007 she spent most of her time sailing around the Mediterranean and Canary Islands until she was transferred to CDF Croisieres de France, joining her sister ship, the L’Horizon, in 2014.

Her career at the French Cruise Line, also owned by the royal Caribbean Group, did not last long. In 2017 the company was disbanded, and Zenith returned to service with Pullmantur Cruises.

However, at the time, the Spanish cruise line was already struggling. Royal Caribbean Group announced in July 2019 that Zenith would be sold to Peace Boat in early 2020. She was last active as Peace Boat in 2020-2021 before being replaced by Sun Princess

Two Sisters Now Scrapped

Celebrity Zenith was an exact copy of her sister, Celebrity Horizon. Both ships have had a thirty-year sailing career, mostly sailing for the same cruise lines throughout.

At the time she was built, Celebrity Horizon was the very first new-built cruise ship for the cruise line. Celebrity Horizon arrived at the shipbreaking yard in Aliaga, Turkey, in August 2022, also for scrapping.

Celebrity Zenith and Horizon signaled the start for Celebrity Cruises to become a global giant in the cruise industry. The same cannot be said about Pullmantur Cruises. Although the company was popular early on, the last couple of years before the pandemic showed a definite decline in profitability. 

By June 2020, Royal Caribbean Group and the board of directors announced a reorganization, which evolved into a complete liquidation in July 2021.

Former Celebrity Cruise Ship Arrives for Scrapping in India (cruisehive.com)

40 minutes ago, ginnyks said:

we fondly remember when Horizon sailed.out of Philadephia to Bermuda our first Celebrity cruise!

@ginnyks thank you for the memory as that was my very first cruise in 2004 sailing Horizon from Philly to Bermuda. 20 Minute ride to the port was so awesome. Really sorry to hear she is being scrapped, but onward things go I guess.

On 9/26/2022 at 1:44 PM, ginnyks said:

we fondly remember when Horizon sailed.out of Philadephia to Bermuda our first Celebrity cruise!

My parents sailed her on that route.

My brother and I did a B2B repositioning (Baltimore to San Juan, San Juan to Tampa) on her in Oct. 2002.

I sailed Nordic Empress from Philadelphia to Bermuda when she was repositioned there after 9/11.

12 hours ago, Extra Kim said:

Does anyone believe that Majesty of Oceans ever will sail with paying passangers again?

I think if the price of scrap steel goes up, Majesty will be sold for scrap.  Her two sisters have been scrapped and I feel she will also be scrapped.  I was on Majesty when all cruising stopped for COVID.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2020 at 4:35 PM, lovelife said:

Sad indeed.  Our first ever cruise was on Fantasy. 😪

Our first very cruise was on the Carnival Fantasy too. Back in 1996. It was advertised on a company employee newsletter and we booked it fairly last minute. No research at all and got a outside stateroom right near the bow. Did not serve my wife well at all. But you learn a lot from your mistakes.