Sad picture

Very sad pictures indeed. I always knew we would get to the point where the classic ships were all gone, but unfortunately COVID will cause it to arrive much sooner. I enjoy the old ships so much more than the huge, gimmicky monstrosities the companies have been producing lately. 

• Like 1

😢  Carnival Imagination was the first cruise DD and I took - to Key West and Cozumel.  It was a wonderful cruise and we’ve been addicted ever since. We’ve sailed some of the big ones and had great times - but the little Imagination will always be special….

Not just sad for the pictures......

Two workers involved in scrapping a former Carnival cruise ship in Turkey have sadly died. The fatal accident happened at the scrapyard in Aliaga, Turkey, on board what remains of the Carnival Inspiration cruise ship.

Fatal Accident While Scrapping Carnival Inspiration

According to NGO Shipbreaking Platform, two workers died during the dismantling of the Carnival Inspiration cruise ship at the Aliaga ship breaking facility in Turkey. Flames apparently caught the two workers within the engine room of the former Carnival-owned vessel. An investigation is currently underway to find out what happened.

Two Workers Die During Scrapping of Former Carnival Cruise Ship (cruisehive.com)

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Not just sad for the pictures......

Two workers involved in scrapping a former Carnival cruise ship in Turkey have sadly died. The fatal accident happened at the scrapyard in Aliaga, Turkey, on board what remains of the Carnival Inspiration cruise ship.

Fatal Accident While Scrapping Carnival Inspiration

According to NGO Shipbreaking Platform, two workers died during the dismantling of the Carnival Inspiration cruise ship at the Aliaga ship breaking facility in Turkey. Flames apparently caught the two workers within the engine room of the former Carnival-owned vessel. An investigation is currently underway to find out what happened.

Two Workers Die During Scrapping of Former Carnival Cruise Ship (cruisehive.com)

And there are probably many, many more of these deaths that we -don't- hear about.   Especially in India and Pakistan (Alang and Gadani).    Life is of such little value in some places.   Such a sad existence for these breaking yard workers who really have no choice otherwise.

Edited by F27TW

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Our first cruise as a family was on Majesty a few years ago. I remember trying to figure out what class she belonged to bc her name didn’t match any of the other ships sailing. My husband remembered when Majesty was a big deal. My son, knowing that other ships had VR and water slides, was not impressed 😂 But it was a good ship to try for our first cruise and a nice little cruise at that 💕

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, WeMissSeaView said:

Looks like the Monarch Viking Crown Lounge will be gone soon.  

Heartbreaking to see that.   We loved Monarch and had many nice evenings having pre and post-dinner cocktails up in that lounge.  It was a magical place .. especially at night.   So sad to see her go. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I found this on YouTube.  It is an amazing channel

Thanks for posting. The video is shot beautifully but it's so sad. Interesting channel with some of their other videos.

On 10/4/2021 at 2:15 PM, A&L_Ont said:

I found this on YouTube.  It is an amazing channel if you like the abandoned/decay genre.  The music in this video was a poor selection IMO. 

Thanks for that. It amazes me that they do absolutely nothing to strip the ships before sending them over there.  Furniture, food service equipment, video games, everything.... just as it was when the ship sailed.  A facility designed to slice ships apart with torches seems like an odd place to do that initial stripping.    

I saw this one yesterday. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il1qWM7vbSg

Give Royal credit sending the Sovereign and Monarch to Turkey instead of India for scrapping. They got less scrap value, but the safety and environmental standards are much higher in Aliaga Turkey than Alang India. Alang is known to use child labor to dismantle ships.

Edited by coaster

1 hour ago, coaster said:

Give Royal credit sending the Sovereign and Monarch to Turkey instead of India for scrapping. They got less scrap value, but the safety and environmental standards are much higher in Aliaga Turkey than Alang India. Alang is known to use child labor to dismantle ships.

I wonder how that transaction plays out.  Do they themselves send the ship there and take whatever $$ they get, or do they sell to a scrapper for $$ NOW and then the ship goes wherever?  Guessing the bean-counters want the instant cash with a quick sale.