Sad picture

On 8/13/2020 at 10:32 AM, WeMissSeaView said:

I am sure Royal would have done it if it was truly profitable.  Sell the cabin numbers off of the doors. If you still have your ships card from way back then, it would make a great memento

of you first cruise.  I have my 1993 ships card from the Nordic Empress and it would make an interesting display.  (ships cards had full room numbers on them before they had magnetic strips). Logistics would be cost prohibitive.

The inside of the US White House was removed in 1949 for a total rebuild and small pieces of wood with a small metal sign were sold to raise money.  I have the one my father purchased 70 years ago.  I am sure that would also be cost prohibitive today.

I actually have an emergency route sign off a cabin door from Song of America...

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Looks like they are scrapping them in sort of the order they arrived on the beach.

Monarch got to the yard two days before the Sovereign, yet they started on the Sovereign first.  I was wondering if they started on the Sovereign because she was older sister.

Carnival Imagination is now in Turkish waters and should be by the shipyard by the end of the day.  I wonder if the Imagination will wait until the Sovereign of the Seas is dismantled and then pull into that spot.

Edited by WeMissSeaView
Wrong name

1 minute ago, WeMissSeaView said:

Carnival Celebration is now in Turkish waters and should be by the shipyard by the end of the day.  I wonder if the Celebration will wait until the Sovereign of the Seas is dismantled and then pull into that spot.

Unfortunately for the Celebration I don’t think so.

I think they will ram her in somewhere and shut her down. It will take months to dismantle Sovereign to take that spot. The new owners will want to turn their investment into cash money as soon as possible. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2020 at 10:20 PM, flametsfan said:

One of the saddest photos i have ever seen.Sovereign of the seas,monarch of the seas,carnival fantasy and imagination.Some of my best memmories crusing were on these ships.

scrap yard.jpg

You are very lucky if this is one of the saddest photos you have ever seen.

As much as we like cruising, these are only ships, old ships that would have been retired even without COVID over the next years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NO_Member_Name said:

Has anyone seen any recent updates from the scrap yard? Given the last pictures it would seem that Sovereign is probably down to the waterline and Monarch is probably close.

You can find pics and videos in the FB-group "Ship Breaking".

So they have. Thank You. They're not nearly as far along as I would have thought. 

It kind of looks like FB will only let you see a certain amount of the thread without logging. I may finally have to break down and get an account. Luckily the pictures I was hoping to see are at the top.