Sad picture

These ships will live on in our memories. Even before my first cruise on NCL Norway I was enamored with Pacific Princess as I saw her on that famous TV show, and I was a bit melancholy when she was scrapped. I discovered that she made a cameo appearance in a 1978 Cadillac brochure. The epitome of luxury in her time.

PacificPrincessCadillac.jpg

2 hours ago, yogimax said:

They may have "worked" but that doesn't mean they were efficient.

They were not efficient but they made money and were booked until they weren’t and were draining cash to upkeep with no revenue. 

13 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I rally didn't intend for this to become a competition for what is the worst thing you can remember.

I would have posted the Concordia pic, something that didn’t need to happen.  That’s sad.  4 older ships being scrapped in the big picture of 2020 is not sad. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

They were not efficient but they made money and were booked until they weren’t and were draining cash to upkeep with no revenue. 

FWIW, the upper tier C&A we're bashing MJ pretty bad this last season because of her lack of a lounge event😉

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, flametsfan said:

One of the saddest photos i have ever seen.Sovereign of the seas,monarch of the seas,carnival fantasy and imagination.Some of my best memmories crusing were on these ships.

scrap yard.jpg

Just to let you know, the second Carnival ship from our right is the Inspiration, not the Imagination.

I'm not sad at all.  The Monarch was our first cruise, and we were lucky to be on her last cruise for Royal Caribbean- and while it's a disappointment that we can't sail her ever again, if not for her, we would not be part of the cruising community.  

I celebrate the fact that she was the start of so many good memories.

It helps that we got over the sadness of not sailing her anymore when we were on her last RCI cruise.

Looking at it from an economic standpoint- modern ships are far more profitable to the industry- which keeps the ships moving, and over time, we get better service, nice rooms, and lower rates. 

16 hours ago, WeMissSeaView said:

It is extra sad to see that the bow has been removed from the Sovereign.

Is her bow going to be put on display somewhere like the bow of the SS France/Norway?

Paris, France - The Bow of SS France / SS Norway (2018) - YouTube

A related true Navy tale about being "sad" over a ship's demise:

Our ship the USS Charleston (LKA-113) was decommissioned finally after a series of expensive repairs. The final straw, the main condenser unit's tubes suffered badly from corrosion where the wall collapsed one day right before getting deployed to the ME; NAVSEA, our authority that decides if ships sail or not, said no, it was time.

So one day at the decom ceremony as we all stood on the pier dressed in our whites, the ship's brow suddenly broke loose from the wake of a passing ship; it slid down the side of the ship leaving a nasty black smear on the gray hull. We all got a laugh out of it because we were all actually glad to see this monstrosity get struck from the list. Ironically, she's still tied to a pier in Philly naval shipyards. She was decommissioned in 1992.

So honestly, the only navy ship I felt sad for her demise was my first ship USS Forrestal (CV-59). She was scrapped, would've been nice if they made the first of the supercarriers into a floating museum.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WeMissSeaView said:

It is extra sad to see that the bow has been removed from the Sovereign.

Agree. First on her now over 32 years ago. Also first Cruise Ship took my oldest on. Then the Largest Cruise Ship built and Worlds first Mega Cruise Ship. In the 80's could Skeet shoot and hit Golf Balls off Sovereign's Deck. Main Shows back then were well known, The Monkee's(minus Davy), Spinner's, Four Top's

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 hour ago, johnjen said:

So honestly, the only navy ship I felt sad for her demise was my first ship USS Forrestal (CV-59). She was scrapped, would've been nice if they made the first of the supercarriers into a floating museum.

Isn't she the one that lost all her qualified firefighters instantaneously 

9 hours ago, johnjen said:

Forrestal was tied up in Newport RI for awhile after decommissioning along with Saratoga and (BB) Iowa. There was a movement to make a museum out of Saratoga but it fell through. Then attention turned to the carrier JFK but that seems to have fallen apart, too. I was a member of the Saratoga Museum Foundation.

It was pretty awesome to see Sara, Iowa and Forrestal together. Amazing ships.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Wonder what the next thing the few will complain about?

Asking for a friend. 

M8

I'll try to come up with something just to keep your friend from being disappointed.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/6/2020 at 4:20 PM, flametsfan said:

One of the saddest photos i have ever seen.Sovereign of the seas,monarch of the seas,carnival fantasy and imagination.Some of my best memmories crusing were on these ships.

scrap yard.jpg

On 8/7/2020 at 11:17 PM, Ocean Boy said:

Forrestal was tied up in Newport RI for awhile after decommissioning along with Saratoga and (BB) Iowa. There was a movement to make a museum out of Saratoga but it fell through. Then attention turned to the carrier JFK but that seems to have fallen apart, too. I was a member of the Saratoga Museum Foundation.

It was pretty awesome to see Sara, Iowa and Forrestal together. Amazing ships.

Were you a crewmember on the Sara? I worked in CR division on the FID, 1981-83.