Favorite Azamara European ports

laurieb

I loved Amalfi for the fabulous views of the coast from the ship and for the little bus to Ravello.

We also love Dubrovnik - the tender trip into the old port is lovely. I know it gets crowded, but it is a beautiful city. Last time we we’re there took a boat trip to Cavtat which was very nice.

Venice too is a favourite - the Vaporretto ride up the Grand Canal is magical, but so is walking around some of the quieter areas, like the Jewish Ghetto.

Edited by Grandma Cruising
  • Like 2

We loved Sibenik too, enjoyed a lovely lunch in the Monastery Garden, recommended I think by Grandma Cruising ?

Also love Sanary sur Mer, Port Vendres - for the lovely Coulliere - the beautiful Amalfi coast, Kos - in fact I could list 20 more.  Just wish I was in one of them now, with Quest waiting for me in the harbour.

• Like 1

All of the replies to date are in the Mediterranean, let's not forget the Baltic is in Europe.

Stockholm is a fantastic sail way, and most of the Norwegian Fjords are spectacular.

As far as ports of call, Venice and Seville are two of our favourites.

• Like 1

For me it is small port places like Sete I love. I also like wandering off the beaten track In Livorno as seen in the final photo. 

But if I have to choose one place it’s Tromso. Just sitting on the deck soaking in the clear air and mountain scenery or walking through the flower covered square past amazing wool shops to a micro brewery my husband adores. It always makes a perfect day. Of course if you want to be further walking the beautiful cathedral or views from the cable car top are spectacular 

47A42E85-571B-4C96-B591-A85B97275A21.jpeg

54DE7B62-C18F-4B27-A7D7-DABC62D7F25F.jpeg

70053356-0FBF-41C2-BF4A-545E75AD75E8.jpeg

Edited by uktog
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, norn iron said:

All of the replies to date are in the Mediterranean, let's not forget the Baltic is in Europe.

Stockholm is a fantastic sail way, and most of the Norwegian Fjords are spectacular.

As far as ports of call, Venice and Seville are two of our favourites.

I hadn't forgotten that area of Europe. It's just not my favourite. Scenically the Norwegian Fjords are beautiful, but they aren't a port. 

Phil 

• Like 1

I imediately think I will differensiate between a port of call and a departure port.

Favourite or most memorable departure port is definately Hong Kong. Maybe not for the future as the political situation is unbearable. When it comes to European ports of departure it will have to be Venice.
Most memorable or favourite port of call would have to be one of the Greek Islands. I will go for Mykonos if I would have to choose one.

Edited by oddjob16
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Like UKtog we enjoyed wandering around off the beaten track in Livorno, loved the local market and the marina, many people seem to overlook it, big mistake.

We spent a day exploring Livorno too; enjoyed the market!

5 hours ago, phe8800 said:

Kotor, Montenegro for sure ! Always so beautiful. 

If anyone's keeping a tally, here's another thumbs-up for Kotor.  A secluded port at the end of a scenic sail-in, it offers atmosphere right there at the dock and it's a remarkably easy base from which to launch further explorations of Montenegro.  I would return in a heartbeat.  

• Like 3

Best cruise ever was Venice to Rome on Quest!  So many memorable ports on that cruise!  Venice wit the memorable sail away at sunset, Koper, Kotor (the most beautiful sail in and out ever! ), Split, Corfu, Valletta, Taormina, past Stromboli at night, Sorrento with overnight, and then Rome.  Best ports!  An overnight in Sorrento allowed us to drive the Amalfi coast and get all the way to Ravello and then the next day see Pompeii before sailing out of Sorrento that evening.  Highly recommend those ports!  

• Like 2

Our favorite port are Kotor Montenegro, Amalfi, Sorrento, Dubrovnik, Sibenik, St. Tropez and last but not least Venice. We were there and went to these places last October and stayed in Venice after the cruise. It was a memorable and magic cruise. Before all this Covid-19 and people acting crazy with rage. I hope life will get back to some resemblance of normal where people treat other people with respect. That's what I miss the most. Kindness and respect.

Edited by tyler6597
grammer
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, tyler6597 said:

Our favorite port are Kotor Montenegro, Amalfi, Sorrento, Dubrovnik, Sibenik, St. Tropez and last but not least Venice. We were there and went to these places last October and stayed in Venice after the cruise. It was a memorable and magic cruise. Before all this Covid-19 and people acting crazy with rage. I hope life will get back to some resemblance of normal where people treat other people with respect. That's what I miss the most. Kindness and respect.

Really looking forward to Kotor and Dubrovnik; next October instead of this October. I so agree with your sentiment As I’m sure everyone here does. These are unknown times for all of us, worldwide; I too hope that kindness and respect return soon.   And cruising on Azamara 😊 🚢🚢🚢

Edited by laurieb
  • Like 3

One of our favorite ports was St. Peter Port in Guernsey, likely because it was such an unexpected pleasure! The port town itself is really lovely, and we took a private tour to the WW2 museum. After they were relatively peacefully occupied by the Germans, when the war ended a young teenager began collecting all kinds of things they left behind and opened this amazing museum (an Enigma machine!), and he still mans the entrance and loves to share stories. 

We’ve had so many ports that are off the beaten path, and it’s why we love Azamara. Hopefully, we’ll have more discoveries next year. 

6AEAEC77-32E3-4298-80FA-BFA5FC360E50.jpeg

DC7FE76C-6078-423E-B0FF-3B230169BBC5.jpeg

0C34EBBF-F052-4C6A-A233-35CF77B5A5FB.jpeg

Edited by cpgrneyes
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, cpgrneyes said:

One of our favorite ports was St. Peter Port in Guernsey, likely because it was such an unexpected pleasure! The port town itself is really lovely, and we took a private tour to the WW2 museum. After they were relatively peacefully occupied by the Germans, when the war ended a young teenager began collecting all kinds of things they left behind and opened this amazing museum (an Enigma machine!), and he still mans the entrance and loves to share stories. 

We’ve had so many ports that are off the beaten path, and it’s why we love Azamara. Hopefully, we’ll have more discoveries next year. 

6AEAEC77-32E3-4298-80FA-BFA5FC360E50.jpeg

DC7FE76C-6078-423E-B0FF-3B230169BBC5.jpeg

0C34EBBF-F052-4C6A-A233-35CF77B5A5FB.jpeg

Looks lovely!  We were supposed to stop here in 2017 on an Oceania cruise and never made it in due to bad weather.  We missed two or three posts that cruise.  Then again, Oceania seems to cut ports pretty easily!  Looks like we missed a great port.  Maybe some day in the future!  Enjoyed your pictures.

46 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

Looks lovely!  We were supposed to stop here in 2017 on an Oceania cruise and never made it in due to bad weather.  We missed two or three posts that cruise.  Then again, Oceania seems to cut ports pretty easily!  Looks like we missed a great port.  Maybe some day in the future!  Enjoyed your pictures.

When we were there a Celebrity ship decided to skip the port because of the seas.

When you do make it, don’t miss the Town Church which contains some very evocative stained glass windows,
and also a set of  wood panels dedicated to local hero Sir Isaac Brock who, in the War of 1812, “saved Canada” although he lost his own life at the Battle of Queenston Heights.

I may have mentioned on this forum that I was raised in the house built by Brock’s doctor. That suggests he went on to a more successful career. 😄

AA7F1BBB-4158-4991-8FDA-0CE88F979F04.jpeg

374BB38D-A508-4ABA-B7C1-18E96EDD9C41.jpeg

4922308C-8E16-4B81-88B3-61C402E15498.jpeg

5FD4268C-70F5-44E2-96CF-DC6D2A79C947.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing beats sailing into or out of Venice.

Perhaps my favorite itinerary includes the three night stop in St. Petersburg. I had been there before for 7 days on a land trip and was delighted to return to some of my favorite sites and then visit new sites and my bucket list is still not complete.

• Like 1