Staterooms on Renovated Motor Yachts

Host Jazzbeau

I found a video on YouTube from January 2022 which does a nice job showing the space. She shows how the bedroom window does have some view which only the bottoms of the lifeboats impeding the top of the view. The dining table window is blocked by a boat.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2022 at 8:52 AM, MNgardens said:

The midship owner’s suite- can anyone tell me how obstructed the windows are? Are the doors to the veranda the only ones for seeing scenery while the ship is underway?

Thanks

We just got off the breeze and had the midship owner's suite. The room is not great for seeing the scenery unless you are sitting on the balcony. There is no window in the dining room portion - it is completely covered. The bedroom is mostly blocked by the lifeboat. The balcony is nice but because is it so enclosed you never get sun on the balcony.  I chose port side because I wanted morning sun but did not get much. If I wanted the room just to see the scenery I would probably choose a different room.

Other than the light factor it is a lovely room. There is some noise when they lower the tenders but otherwise the room is in a great location and close to everything.

• Thanks 2

• 4 months later...

A quick question on the new Star Balcony suites. We are on the Legend transatlantic in December and are considering an upgrade to a balcony suite but wondered, once underway, if there would ever be an opportunity to have the doors open, especially at night. On our TA last year the wind and waves never seemed to subside enough to do so. Can anyone who has stayed in a balcony suite on a TA weigh in?

Thanks!

On 9/9/2022 at 4:59 AM, SailMaine said:

A quick question on the new Star Balcony suites. We are on the Legend transatlantic in December and are considering an upgrade to a balcony suite but wondered, once underway, if there would ever be an opportunity to have the doors open, especially at night. On our TA last year the wind and waves never seemed to subside enough to do so. Can anyone who has stayed in a balcony suite on a TA weigh in?

Thanks!

I was on a Star Breeze TA some years ago in a balcony and I recall having the windows open at night on occasion, though I preferred to sleep with them closed. 

Also, I'm on the Legend Dec TA as well this year, and hope it's as good as my last cruise with Windstar!

Just back from Breeze. New design is good. We stayed in an older suite because we like the bed close to the bathroom.  Older suites got new bathrooms,  carpeting, and bedding.  The rest is the old furnishings which could use some repairs. Had a drawer come apart.  It was repaired.  Chairs and woodwork have wear.  Need to replace some of the old furniture. Saw the new suites. They are nice.  They lack the warm feeling of the wood trim.  Still prefer older suites.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hope they fix the issue with Star Pride's A/C in the cabins forward of the newly inserted section after the stretch. Not sure if this issue affects the Breeze or the Legend, but we just completed 11 day repositioning from Boston to San Juan, PR, and it was the first warm weather they had evidently encountered, and the Air conditioning was practically non-existent in these cabins for the entire cruise. In addition, there was a sick sewage like smell on all deck hallways around the mid-ship elevator that was never explained. Still looking for any kind of transparency from Windstar on what causes these issues, and what they will do to remedy them. Good luck for any future cruisers.

• 2 weeks later...

Just stayed in 409 on Pride.  No major issues.  Had a small problem with shower drain early on but was fixed and no issue afterwards.  One nightstand had wobbly legs.  You can also hear anchor in the AM when at a tender port but that's about it.  I must say the rooms have very good soundproofing as we never heard our neighbors

On 12/3/2021 at 4:15 PM, new_cruiser said:

I think all the mattresses were replaced.

At least in the past, a lot of mattresses had extra stiffening along the edge to create a more defined edge. Perhaps that is becoming less common. When shopping for a new mattress early this year, quite a few didn't have a stiffer edge and the mattress we ended up buying doesn't have a stiffened edge. If you are used to a mattress with a stiffened edge, at first it can feel like the mattress is trying to roll you off. It really isn't. It's just that the stiffness is the same all across. It did take a few nights for my husband to get used to it, then he was fine with it. 

We were in an S1 (not one of the new Star Suites) and the mattress didn't have that extra edge stiffening. No problem for us since we have already gotten used to that; something to be aware of if you are used to the other, especially if you tend to sleep on the edge. 

Since the bed can be configured as two twins or a queen, there is a strip down the middle to bridge the gap between the twin mattresses when they are pushed together into a queen. It's a noticeable texture difference though I wouldn't call it a huge lump.

We were on board for 18 days and found the bed comfortable. 

We had one of those mattresses with no stiffening on the legeng in 11/21. For us, it was miserable, indeed it felt like the bed was trying to throw us off and I sort of had to take a leap to get beyond the end. This September, also on the legend, the mattress had a sort of band all the way around the edge that sort of held things together. Not great, but it was much better. On the 2021 trip the cruise director was someone I've known for a long time and he said that they'd had lots of complaints.

Was on the 11/3 Star Pride cruise and had the same two issues as mentioned by CapeCoder:  the horrific sewage smell in several areas mostly mid ship and NO A/C in our cabin for the duration of the 9 day cruise.  Everything else was great, even the Captain taking the initiative to sail out of harm's way when the weather took a turn for the worse (we ended up in Antigua for 2 days).  Still waiting to hear from Windstar regarding "compensation" that was promised by one of the ship's officers for the A/C issue which meant no sleep and very uncomfortable stay in the cabin.  Hope it gets fixed.  I would not book another cruise with Windstar until this is resolved fairly.

Recently stayed in one of the forward owner’s suites (600) on Star Pride and loved it! Unlike on Star Breeze and Legend, the Pride has retained the huge wraparound balconies in the forward owner’s suites which, when combined with the 5 unobstructed windows, make them superior to the midship owner’s suites for the same cost in my opinion. I suppose it’s personal preference whether you prefer interior sq footage or view and balcony size. We enjoyed having newly made friends back to the room for pre-dinner sunset champagne and/or late night G&Ts on the balcony (tip: Star Pride has Fever Tree tonic water if you ask for it, at least in November 2022). The crew were amazing and everything was comfortable - except for the 3 nights we didn’t have air conditioning (others above mentioned this). They had mostly fixed this in the public areas by Nov 19, 2022, but were still working on restoring full A/C to the ship including crew areas when we disembarked. 

Another important thing to mention is that Suite 600 (and I assume 601) still had mostly EU (2 pin) power outlets throughout, and had only two 2-prong North American outlets together on one side of the bed. Our cabin steward brought us one adapter, but if you plan to stay in one of these suites and are not from the EU I strongly suggest bringing outlet adapters.

Before I saw this thread I posted a video of suite 600 in another thread, but I’ll link it here too:

Edited by Phantom_Celery
Added info about electrical outlets in room

• 4 weeks later...

Just got off the Star Legend’s December 3rd transatlantic. I’ll start by saying the trip was absolutely wonderful, as always. But a very large, unusual tropical system in the Atlantic caused the conditions to be rough for about 9-10 days with high winds and big seas - 10-20’ depending on the day! The captain made the good decision to go further south before turning west toward Miami and we were glad for it!
But we picked the right cabin for the rough conditions. Cabin 438, deck 4 mid ships, was perfect during even the roughest seas. Though we could feel the impact, we didn’t get the pounding that our friends experienced on higher decks towards the bow and stern. Many were under the weather. Though there were only 136 passengers on board for the crossing, there were a couple days/nights when we felt like we were on a private yacht…”where is everyone??”.  We took Bonine (meclazine) daily for the first 10 days - one for me and two for my husband - and we were fine. We can’t say enough about the comfort of the cabin, the wonderful head with spacious shower and we slept like babies in the rocking seas.
Can’t wait for next year’s TA - on the Surf next year!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looking for info about S1 cabins on Star Pride [or Breeze or Legend], specially 426.

Based on deck plans, 426 seems like a good choice:  we prefer the bed near the bathroom; fixed queen bed [more comfortable for two without the joint down the middle]; no third bunk [so coach more comfortable for sitting?]; cabins above and below.  

Problems?  426 is near the tender debarkation area on deck 3 – noise?  It is in the front half of the ship – more motion in rough seas?

At this point Windstar says all S1 cabins are available to book.  I wondered about 446:  further back for smooth ride and away from tender area – but over galley.  Upgrading to 546 solves galley noise issue but is directly under a lifeboat (and costs $800 more for 2).

Thanks for advice!

We were in 420 on Pride for Nov 3rd 9 nt out of San Juan.  Location fine.  There were some AC issues from prior voyage that took a day or two to get back to full capacity.  There was a sewage odor around the stairwell next to 428, 528 etc,  

of note, we had high seas, rains, strong swells for a few days during the cruise….no motion issues in 420 and my husband is prone to motion sickness.

we are booked for #422 on Breeze March 29 from Miami. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/20/2023 at 3:28 PM, Nearpost345 said:

Has anyone stayed in this suite or any of other new suites on deck three? I’m interested in any reports.

Thank you. 
I should add that tendering is not expected on our upcoming cruise.

This question refers to cabin 309 on The Star Legend, although I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has stayed on deck three in general on any of the yachts

Thank you

On 2/28/2023 at 7:01 PM, Nearpost345 said:

This question refers to cabin 309 on The Star Legend, although I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has stayed on deck three in general on any of the yachts

Thank you

As would I. Just booked 306 and am finding little to no information on these cabins other than they are new and part of the stretched ship addition. Don’t really care about the no window as we are not in our cabin during the day as we are always out.  Hope since it is new and added it has the new walk in shower

If anyone has any info,pictures or videos it would be great