ABC of Ports in Photos

DamianG

I was waiting for the M and N' s, I have a poetic licence one for N. Totally missed them and it's taken me two days to catch up. I will just have to wait until the end. Maybe we can have a free for all with the letters. 

There's some fab photos. Without trying to thread drift too much, where do all the passengers sit on cold cruises. We have only been to the Med where the outside is well used, plus one Baltic on Eclipse where I was the only person on deck. I was wrapped in towels reading a book and it was great. There wasn't any icebergs or snow about like on some of the photos. So do people spend their time indoors on cold cruises.

Edited by emam
Correct autofill writing.

When we went on our Northern Lights Cruise, I spent quite a lot of time outside when we were sailing up Norway, as the weather was so sunny. But I had to dress accordingly, in several layers.

When the weather was less sunny, we’d spend time in the Bookmark Cafe (it was a Fred Olsen ship), go to talks, spend more time over lunch, or just go back to our cabin to read. 

ED10534A-0D14-436A-AACB-1A14D195860A.jpeg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Okay so, I've been researching Hell (no, not that one😁)

Hell in Norway comes from an Old Norse word hellir whch means overhang or cliff cave.

All I can find about Hell in Grand  Cayman is that it comes from an area of black limestone formations and that a pebble thrown among them sounds as if it echoes all the way to hell. 

Maybe someone will find it interesting, I did, but then I'm a dotty old nerd😵🤓

Avril

Hi Avril

I hope this gives you the answer you were looking for regarding the Hell rock formation.

PB100964.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, emam said:

I was waiting for the M and N' s, I have a poetic licence one for N. Totally missed them and it's taken me two days to catch up. I will just have to wait until the end. Maybe we can have a free for all with the letters. 

There's some fab photos. Without trying to thread drift too much, where do all the passengers sit on cold cruises. We have only been to the Med where the outside is well used, plus one Baltic on Eclipse where I was the only person on deck. I was wrapped in towels reading a book and it was great. There wasn't any icebergs or snow about like on some of the photos. So do people spend their time indoors on cold cruises.

I would just post them now, don't think being in order really matters. It's just great to see all the different photos.

Edited by bee-ess
  • Like 3

in reply to Emam,  Dermotsgirl has got it just right as far as dressing for the weather on cold cruises. We have thermal underwear and thick jackets so often sit out in sheltered places. Both P&O, NCL and Fred Olsen provided blankets and came round with hot drinks. A cold climate cruise is such a different experience but so rewarding.

Now here are some R ports

Fred Olsen Boudicca, Reunion Island 1 & 2

MSC Armonia, Roatan, Honduras.

Ocean Princess, Rouen, France 4 & 5

Rio de Janeiro with ships in the distance. Taken from the top of Sugarloaf Mountain.

Fred Olsen Boudicca, Reunion Island (1).JPG

Fred Olsen Boudicca, Reunion Island (2).JPG

MSC Armonia,  Roatan, Honduras.JPG

Ocean Princess, Rouen, France (1).JPG

Ocean Princess, Rouen, France (2).JPG

Rio de Janero with ships in the distance. Taken from the top of Sugarloaf Mountain.JPG

• Like 7

The thing I like about cruising is that you go to a lot of different places and if you really like somewhere you go and visit for longer. We first went to Rhodes on Golden Princess in 2006. In 2009 and 2010 we stayed at a hotel and took these photos of ships entering and exiting the harbour from our hotel room, including Oriana which we sailed on first in 2012.36968760_IMG_0415(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.48b3add00d5e0d9336b4252f5134df75.JPG1237552016_IMG_0371(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.27e61a72f82b58c899f30dac93f883d1.JPG1995914511_IMG_0377(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.dee1220f6fdea7d00ab07d1901c4bbd2.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

Hi Avril

I hope this gives you the answer you were looking for regarding the Hell rock formation.

PB100964.JPG

Thank you. I found some information on wikipedia(just love the internet), but yours is more interesting. I've always been fascinated by unusual place names and how they came to be. May seem odd to some, but that's just me. Odd😁

Avril

• Like 2