ABC of Ports in Photos

DamianG

16 hours ago, zoe sproodle said:

Forgive me for being a bit late but here's a few Ls & Ms:

Ventura in Lisbon, the first port on our first cruise

Oriana approaching Lisbon

Oceana in La Palma, or could be Lanzarote, somewhere in the Canaries beginning with L anyway....

Muscat taken from OceanaDSCF1336.thumb.JPG.f0d4630e75cd62ee299535df6b27e7ab.JPG

Oceana is docked in La Palma on your photo.

I just had to know so I looked up the tug boat 🤓

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

What a wonderful thread!  It's made realise how few pictures I've taken in recent years of the ship in the ports we've visited.  

Note to self: Must take more pictures of the ship when we're in port!

Same here. Frank's the photographer and takes loads of pictures in the ports , but hardly any of the ships.  We only sail on two  particular ships though, so maybe that's why.

Avril

16 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Same here. Frank's the photographer and takes loads of pictures in the ports , but hardly any of the ships.  We only sail on two  particular ships though, so maybe that's why.

Avril

Why not just post some photos of the ports. Lots of these photos don't have ships in them.

17 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Oceana is docked in La Palma on your photo.

I just had to know so I looked up the tug boat 🤓

Glad I'm not the only one Damian🤓. I can't stand the not knowing. I had to research Nosy Be. Ahhh!! 😬

Avril

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

Why not just post some photos of the ports. Lots of these photos don't have ships in them.

Would love to, when I can get my grandson to show me how it's done.😁 They're on Frank's digital camera and his tablet, also many more are photographs.

Avril

5 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Glad I'm not the only one Damian🤓. I can't stand the not knowing. I had to research Nosy Be. Ahhh!! 😬

Avril

You can’t stand not knowing! How do you think I felt - I took the picture. I was there, wherever “there” was......!

Joking aside thank you Damian for clearing up the La Palma/Lanzarote confusion. I was pretty sure it was La Palma but somehow the pics from that cruise have all got a bit disorganised.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Saltybutnice13 said:

Aurora Oslo December 2005

Oriana Olden June 2011

Azura leaving Olden September 2013

93368779_Winterwonderland1002.thumb.jpg.9287f919c8da1124d75eb750127f90e4.jpg

Aurora Oslo 2005...

We were on that cruise! Midway through summer 2005 we got a letter from P&O advising that they were putting on an extra "non-brochure" cruise as the scheduled refit for Aurora would finish early. This cruise would be unique as it would visit Northern European ports for the first time in Winter on a completely new schedule.

It certainly caught our imagination and we had some savings so we shuffled our holidays then booked it. At the welcome onboard reception Captain Mark Symonds told the story of how he and his officers had plotted the course then submitted it to the powers that be for approval. Apparently the ports weren't used to receiving cruise ships in the Winter but were enthusiastic about the idea so everything was approved and the cruise went ahead. It may have been an embellished story but I loved it!

I remember our excitement sailing away from Southampton in the cold darkness with a glass of mulled wine in hand and a brass band playing to see us off. Most of the ports put some entertainment on for the arrivals or sailaways and we had a fantastic cruise, further enhanced by some absolutely lovely table companions who we still remember fondly.

A bit of serious thread drift on my part but I wanted to share the story and some extra photos:

Christmas Cruise 2005 041.jpg

Christmas Cruise 2005 019.jpg

Christmas Cruise 2005 049.jpg

Christmas Cruise 2005 057.jpg

Christmas Cruise 2005 072.jpg

Christmas Cruise 2005 077.jpg

Christmas Cruise 2005 085.jpg

Christmas Cruise 2005 086.jpg

Christmas Cruise 2005 080.jpg

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Aurora Oslo 2005...

We were on that cruise! Midway through summer 2005 we got a letter from P&O advising that they were putting on an extra "non-brochure" cruise as the scheduled refit for Aurora would finish early. This cruise would be unique as it would visit Northern European ports for the first time in Winter on a completely new schedule.

It certainly caught our imagination and we had some savings so we shuffled our holidays then booked it. At the welcome onboard reception Captain Mark Symonds told the story of how he and his officers had plotted the course then submitted it to the powers that be for approval. Apparently the ports weren't used to receiving cruise ships in the Winter but were enthusiastic about the idea so everything was approved and the cruise went ahead. It may have been an embellished story but I loved it!

I remember our excitement sailing away from Southampton in the cold darkness with a glass of mulled wine in hand and a brass band playing to see us off. Most of the ports put some entertainment on for the arrivals or sailaways and we had a fantastic cruise, further enhanced by some absolutely lovely table companions who we still remember fondly.

A bit of serious thread drift on my part but I wanted to share the story and some extra photos:

Fantastic photos!

Glad forum is working again, I'll be able to post mine too now. Nothing as good as these though.

Pat

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Izzywiz said:

these are my other Os....

Diamond Princess, Osaka, Japan.

Diamond Princess, Otaru, Japan (2)

Diamond Princess, Otaru, Japan. My Japanese rainbow ice cream was delicious!

Diamond Princess, Osaka, Japan.JPG

Diamond Princess, Otaru, Japan (2).JPG

Diamond Princess, Otaru, Japan (3).JPG

Diamond Princess, Otaru, Japan. my Japanese rainbow ice cream.JPG

I will have to visit so I can try one of those ice creams!! 🙂 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DamianG said:

It sounds like your “Z” is going to trump mine! I’m looking forward to seeing those photos!

Sadly DamianG, search as I might, I cannot find any for Zanzibar, despite us visiting three times. I have hunted through old photo CDs copied when old computers died but have not found them. I certainly did not take such a prolific number of photos in the early 2000s as my camera only had small SD cards and I was new to the digital photo game. I will keep searching though.

Pat

32 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Aurora Oslo 2005...

Wonderful photos.Thank you for posting them 🙂 

• Thanks 1