Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

17 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Have people been doing that?😮

That's a tool I use from time to time if I can't figure it out otherwise. But if it provides more than just a general hint at the location, requiring no further research to verify, I'll take a pass on identifying that image.

Lately I've mostly been using it to determine how challenging my own contributions of ports we've already seen are likely to be.

On 12/13/2022 at 11:08 AM, Colin_Cameron said:

Have people been doing that?😮

If I have no clue, yes. Rarely does anything match close enough to say definitely where a photo was taken, although I have been surprised a couple of times where an almost identical photo showed up on image search - I noted that somewhere up thread. It is usually only good to give a clue where one might be.

Lately, I have not had much research time, so if I don’t identify a location from my own experience, I usually don’t get back to it before someone else identifies it. 

On 12/13/2022 at 3:39 AM, sogne said:

soon after leaving previous port we entered this stretch of water  named after a distance country and close to  famous naval battle.

123.JPG

I think we are going to need another hint for this one. You've provided some intriguing clues but they aren't clicking with me, I'm afraid. And naturally the image itself isn't too much help (even using google image search 😉).

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I think we are going to need another hint for this one. You've provided some intriguing clues but they aren't clicking with me, I'm afraid. And naturally the image itself isn't too much help (even using google image search 😉).

The land on north of strait has strong links with the distance country

On 12/17/2022 at 10:01 AM, bluemarble said:

Here's a capture in my collection from a rather peculiar webcam showing a Cunard ship gleaming in the morning sun to the right of center. This is a port we've seen before. I'm figuring this could be a challenge but I've been surprised about that before.

272403121_WhereintheWorld(125).thumb.jpg.085566d1b27a0a302c3d20877d938299.jpg

Hint: The building in the center of this image blocking a large portion of the view is claimed to be the tallest building of its shape in the world. It is the 16th tallest building in this city overall. It is currently being demolished to be replaced by what will become the tallest building in this city.

Well, it's not the tallest grain silo - that's in Zurich, apparently.  The biggest (although perhaps not the tallest) water storage tank is in Doha, but the remainder of the photo isn't a good match.  The tallest telecom tower is in Tokyo, but again the rest of the photo isn't a match. 

The street traffic is driving on the right, but that doesn't narrow it down too much.

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

AXA Tower, Singapore?

Correct. That's the view from the "SingReef Downtown Singapore Coastal View" webcam. It's showing QE there the morning of October 30, 2022.

Apparently the AXA Tower is/was considered to be the tallest "cylindrical" building in the world.

I would not have guessed Singapore.   There's some vehicle traffic to the right of the AXA building on the right (ie wrong 🙂) side of the road, so I incorrectly presumed right side driving.  I guess they must be one way streets.

On 12/13/2022 at 2:30 AM, sfred said:

Thanks @Yaldi.  Well done.  My only consolation is that Santander isn't a place I've been to, nor was I the contributor or identifier of the original port photo in our game.  (That would have been very embarassing!)

Saw there's a YouTube record of the visit to Santander from a guest sailing on this voyage. Had I discovered it earlier working it out would have been a lot easier. 🙂 See around 13:34 in this video.