Cunard cancels cruises up to April 2021

Solent Richard

All 2020 and 2021 Queen Mary 2 cruises, including the 2021 World Cruise and its sectors are cancelled, up until and including 18th April, 2021. Her next anticipated departure is 19th April, cruise M110, a Westbound Transatlantic Crossing. Her 2022 January to March Caribbean & South America sailing and it’s sectors are also cancelled, it is being replaced by a 104 night world cruise. This will go on sale on 8th September, 2020. It does make sense to change this cruise to a full World Cruise,
as there will be a lot of pent-up demand following the cancellation of both 2021 World Cruises. 
All 2020 and 2021 Queen Elizabeth  cruises have been cancelled. These sailings are being replaced by a new programme of ex-UK and fly/cruises roundtrip Barcelona that will commence on 23rd March 2021. She will finish this new season with a transit through the Suez Canal, crossing the Indian Ocean to Singapore via Jordan before venturing back to Melbourne over 14 nights in December 2021. These new cruises will come on sale on 29th September, 2020. Currently, her early 2022 Australia and Asia programme is still anticipated to take place.
All 2020 and 2021 Queen Victoria  cruises up until 16th May 2021 are also cancelled. This includes her 2021 World Cruise and it’s sectors. Her next anticipated sailing is the British Isles cruise on 17th May, 2022, cruise V112.
Cunard will email all affected passengers today. Passengers will automatically be entitled to 125% Future Cruise Credit. This will be automatically applied to your Cunard World Club number in the Cunard reservation system, you will not receive a written confirmation of the credit. Alternatively, affected passengers can apply for a 100% refund by filling out the online form that will be included in your email from Cunard. Please note that refunds are currently taking up to 60 days to be processed by Cunard.
836754733_QueenVictoriaBowPortElizabethRichard.jpg.98ad16185263b7edb0b45e89ac89c4f1.jpg
Edited by Solent Richard
  • Like 3

Just received the email saying my Asia cruise in October 2021 is now cancelled. 

Was already using FCC from the same cruise cancelled this October towards that one, so really not sure now what to do.

With so much uncertainty and cruises on sale for only the early part of 2022, likely to request a refund of the deposit.

Edited by si_boy

9 minutes ago, si_boy said:

Just received the email saying my Asia cruise in October 2021 is now cancelled. 

Was already using FCC from the same cruise cancelled this October towards that one, so really not sure now what to do.

With so much uncertainty and cruises on sale for only the early part of 2022, likely to request a refund of the deposit.

The QM TA April 19th is dependent upon the travel ban being lifted? Because either Captain Wells or Hashmi would both be denied entry as british nationals if the travel ban is not lifted by then. Though I suspect the ban will be in place until the vaccine is widely available in the UK.

Are there any American captains in the cunard fleet? Because if they wanted to they could sail the TA's with american crews and american passengers from April for example if the UK restrictions are lighter and quarantine for americans is not required. A situation which if did come to pass might create certain problems for the cruise agencies who have sold cruises to people from countries banned from entering the USA by the proclamation. Yet Cunard if can so americans only they might not cancel sailings so what would happen then? I asked my agency this question and they did not have an answer.

Had a feeling this was coming. Have decided to abandon my Cunard plans for now, and just come back to them when things are clearer. Still would like to do a TA for my 40th, so they have until January 2022🤣.

For now I will just ask for a refund for my December Xmas Markets cruise on QV, but the website won't even progress to any point further after I click submit on the refund form link they have sent out.

• Like 1

Hopefully no one on this board is feeling too 'smug' about these changes.

Having watched both QM2 and Queen Victoria passing our home in the last week I find it all rather sad even though my own booked future cruises (4) weren't with Cunard.

1457924763_QM21Departing30July2020.jpg.4e2362c49aa8b45750dc53f975cdbd75.jpg

82119728_QueenVictoria830July2020.jpg.60bbd0339d1f88f9e4b4ce99d4d8da50.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

All 2020 and 2021 Queen Victoria  cruises up until 16th May 2021 are also cancelled. This includes her 2021 World Cruise and it’s sectors. Her next anticipated sailing is the British Isles cruise on 17th May, 2022, cruise V112.

Just a slight correction - I think that should read 17th May 2021

7 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Having watched both QM2 and Queen Victoria passing our home in the last week I find it all rather sad even though my own booked future cruises (4) weren't with Cunard.

The Queen Mary 2 is a thing of beauty.☹️ We will back onboard her on day.

• Like 1

Laughable when Cunard are still saying refunds will take 60 days when clearly that is not the case as there are many waited longer than that and some up to 140 days. To make it even more laughable I was one of the lucky ones to receive my refund within 60 days but only after threatening legal action if I didnt and then they refunded me twice once by cheque and once to credit card. You think it would be easy to pay that money back but even Cunard cannot get that right another 90 days on and after sending 2 cheques which they havent cashed they still dont want the money. Their finance team is in a complete shambles in Southampton. At one point they even sent me a threatening e-mail saying I owed them money even though I had been trying to repay it for 2 months and the amount they demanded was higher than the cruise price. Complete farce.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

I would think that the feeling is ‘relieved to have some certainty’, rather than ‘smug’.

i think most cruisers are in agreement the the ghost ships in Weymouth Bay are a very sad sight 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, AspirationalFlyer said:

That being said, trying to be positive, I understand there may be whole new round of Med cruises released in the near future. 

Let's keep fingers crossed. I would love to see a broad choice of Mediterranean cruises but I do not believe it before I see it.

Unfortunately the announcement is again very much about "northern" "Norway" "Amsterdam" ...

Let's hope the Queen Elizabeth really does go to the Med in SUMMER and not only in late September and October like the Queen Victoria.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As our San Francisco to Brisbane cruise was a leg of the QV world tour it has- inevitably and not unexpectedly - been cancelled. Refund applied for. 

I rather despair that we will ever get down to Australia to see our daughter. The alternative is flying both ways which I understand is not possible at the moment - or in a style that would deem it at all attractive. 

2022?

2023?

the years are running out and the insurance requirements may well be so prohibitive that we may well have seen an end to our cruising days. That it should have come to this is sad and most frustrating.

• Like 1

Solent Richard, 

Thanks for posting your photos. It is fortunate that you can at least occasionally view the QM2 and Queen Victoria. I live in downtown Chicago near the river. I am reduced to getting my "ship fix" by watching the tour boats on the Chicago River.

Chuck

• Like 2

Our South America 55 night on QM2 was cancelled for 2022 so that they can do the WV. So I booked the Eastern Caribbean for Nov 2021 and will wait for FCC, which should almost be a wash. I saw this posted on the Cunard website today, but it can't apply to the OBC from the 55 night cruise? Does anyone know? If it does, we will have a LOT of OBC to use! 

Screenshot 2020-08-25 at 3.31.53 PM.png

16 minutes ago, roadtripper said:

Our South America 55 night on QM2 was cancelled for 2022 so that they can do the WV. So I booked the Eastern Caribbean for Nov 2021 and will wait for FCC, which should almost be a wash. I saw this posted on the Cunard website today, but it can't apply to the OBC from the 55 night cruise? Does anyone know? If it does, we will have a LOT of OBC to use! 

Screenshot 2020-08-25 at 3.31.53 PM.png

This is just my interpretation, so take that for what it's worth, but I think this statement about OBC only applies to those on previously cancelled voyages who have chosen not to ask for a refund of pre-purchased items (such as shore excursions and drinks packages), where Cunard will be issuing 110% OBC to be used on a future voyage instead.

I see that option to convert pre-purchased items to 110% OBC on a future voyage only applies to voyages that were cancelled prior to this latest round of cancellations. Apparently those on voyages that are newly cancelled in today's announcement will automatically have their pre-purchased items refunded to their original form of payment, per this new item in the cancellation FAQ:

What happens to purchases I have made through My Cunard?

Any shore experiences, dining, gifts, or drinks packages you purchased for your voyage via My Cunard or via our Customer Service department will be automatically refunded back to the credit card you used to make these purchases and there is no need to contact us.

We aim to process these refunds as quickly as possible and kindly ask that you refrain from calling or emailing our Customer Service department at this time unless your inquiry is urgent.

Please note: if you had pre-purchased any experiences for a voyage that was due to depart on or before November 1, 2020, on Queen Mary 2 or Queen Victoria and on or before November 23, 2020, for Queen Elizabeth, we are applying an On Board Credit to the value of 110%. This can be used on your next voyage with us, or indeed, can be used across multiple sailings. You have until November 30, 2022, to use your On Board Credit. If you would prefer to receive 100% cash refund please fill out this web form.

• Like 1

Well that's cruise 2 of 4 cancelled. The next one is June 2021 so fingers crossed.

Much as I love QE and would like to sail the med again, the thought of flying to Barcelona does nothing for me at all. I don't travel light hence the attraction of sailing from Southampton.

Although Cunard may push the'one-off' opportunity to sail QE before she sets sail for Australia, they will face stiff competition from the likes of Seabourn, Regent, Crystal, Ncl, Celebrity et al. who also sail out of Barcelona and will  be keen to welcome guests new and old.

We will make a decision for 2022 once we've expreienced a post covid cruise and hopefully book while on board.

11 hours ago, seacruise9 said:

Solent Richard, 

Thanks for posting your photos. It is fortunate that you can at least occasionally view the QM2 and Queen Victoria. I live in downtown Chicago near the river. I am reduced to getting my "ship fix" by watching the tour boats on the Chicago River.

Chuck

Good morning Chuck and thanks for the kind comment. 

I have to confess that initially, following lockdown, we did seem fortunate to still be able to enjoy watching cruise ships pass. I photographed over 20 different cruise ships, the majority of which we had at some stage cruised on.

However, as time progressed and the numbers increased, the reality of the situation struck home and the dreadful situation we are living through, as are the cruise lines themselves,  became more and more  graphically played out before our  very eyes.

On that note I'm happy to complete the Cunard fleet on your behalf: her is Queen Elizabeth outbound on 26 July...

1866583256_QueenElizabethDeparture26July.jpg.553765a158a43100183c62fb28ab960b.jpg

Have a nice day and here's to getting back cruising. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

This latest extension means that the Cunard ships will be out of service for at least one year since the cancellations began. ☹️

Chuck

Yes and I'm feeling even more fortunate that before we get into September I can still count 4 cruises under my belt in the last 12 months.