The Daily for Friday Sep 4, 2020

richwmn

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I really appreciate our newspaper carriers; I leave pkgs of handwarmers out for them during the winter, and often leave little treat bags during the warmer months. 

Gerry, if I left hand warmers and treats for our paper carrier, I would have to leave them in the street! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Good morning - at least here on the west coast it still is morning...  Thank you, Rich and Roy, for the Daily news and Care List.  School will start here on the 10th, and I think, as people come back from their vacations and start up regular living again, we will see a spike of Covid.  Also, flu season will be arriving.  So, everyone, be careful.  

We "entertained" for the first time in months  yesterday.  My cousin and her hubby came over for dinner to celebrate their anniversary and my birthday (albeit late for both!) and we ordered in and ate in the courtyard.  Very early, as they wanted to get home and watch the hockey.  It was fun.  We all wore masks, except for eating...    The new normal!

• Like 6

Looking forward to this weekend with some trepidation.  We continue easing our restrictions at 5PM today (Always happens at 5PM Friday in Maryland when things reopen).  The main thing to reopen will be movie theaters.  Our numbers have been pretty stable but slowly creeping up and I'd have preferred to see a bit more progress before loosening things more.   The bright spot may be that with beautiful weekend weather having people socially distanced in theaters may cut down a bit on the beach crowding.

Roy

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Looking forward to this weekend with some trepidation.  We continue easing our restrictions at 5PM today (Always happens at 5PM Friday in Maryland when things reopen).  The main thing to reopen will be movie theaters.  Our numbers have been pretty stable but slowly creeping up and I'd have preferred to see a bit more progress before loosening things more.   The bright spot may be that with beautiful weekend weather having people socially distanced in theaters may cut down a bit on the beach crowding.

Roy

Really looking forward to seeing a movie in a movie theater! They've been closed here since March

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Our potato chip and chocolate chip cookie truck was called Charles Chips and delivered every Wednesday!

Ours was Charles Chips too - I had forgotten about the chocolate chip cookies, but he had those too.  Those potato chips were the best - probably full of trans-fats and other dangers!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Dinner and the Drink sound delishous. When I was growing up in New Mexico we had both a milkman and a paperboy. Haven't seen a milkman since the late 50's and haven't had a local Mesa newspaper for at least 15 years. I reuse to subscribe to the Phoenix newspaper.

We had several nice days in the high 90's and low 100's but today through the weekend it is forecast to be 110 or over.

• Like 5

Growing up in Amsterdam, we had a "melkboer" (milk farmer) who delivered milk in glass bottles

06-28-1952_10694 Melkboer | Melkboer, Amsterdam, 28 juni 195… | Flickr

Before my time, my parents tell me the melkboer came by on a trike with a "cargo" area where the milk was kept in large metal "melk kannen" milk cans. Simpler, but not necessarily, better times

Dat was nog eens bezorgservice: de melkboer die aan de deur kwam - Zin.nl

Found a pic of moi with one of those milk cans in a little seaside town by the name of Callantsoog, in the province of Noord-Holland

John 1959 #8.jpg

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 15
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

Growing up in Amsterdam, we had a "melkboer" (milk farmer) who delivered milk in glass bottles

Before my time, my parents tell me the melkboer came by on a trike with a "cargo" area where the milk was kept in large metal "melk kannen: milk cans. Simpler, but not necessarily, better times

Love those old photos!  Fantastic!

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

I remember this one

67af9f5f1d5f26aef2215aaf7e9c7eea.jpg

"IJskoud IJs" (Ice cold ice), I always thought in The Hague they only served warm ice 😉 I do remember Jamin Ice Cream 🙂 We had a shop within walking distance on the "Overtoom" (street) near the "Vondelpark" where you could get "Dubbeldik van Jamin," two big waffles with vanilla ice cream in between, Great memories of growing up

• Like 7

1 hour ago, lazey1 said:

Dinner and the Drink sound delishous. When I was growing up in New Mexico we had both a milkman and a paperboy. Haven't seen a milkman since the late 50's and haven't had a local Mesa newspaper for at least 15 years. I reuse to subscribe to the Phoenix newspaper.

We had several nice days in the high 90's and low 100's but today through the weekend it is forecast to be 110 or over.

Do you live in Mesa? I worked for Hughes Helicopter/McDonnell Douglas/Boeing at Falcon Field from 1983 to 1998 (started in Culver City Ca in 1979) when we retired. We lived up at Superstition Mountain about 1/2 mile from Mining Camp restaurant and Goldfield.. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Before my time, my parents tell me the melkboer came by on a trike with a "cargo" area where the milk was kept in large metal "melk kannen" milk cans. Simpler, but not necessarily, better times

Found a pic of moi with one of those milk cans in a little seaside town by the name of Callantsoog, in the province of Noord-Holland

John 1959 #8.jpg

I love these pictures!  My grandfather was a dairy farmer in a small town in Texas and delivered milk (in bottles!) to the homes of all of his customers in town. My mother had many tales of riding on the milk wagon with him when she was a little girl. I wish I could have known him, he died shortly before I was born. We did recently discover some of the “caps” that fit onto the bottles, as well as a couple of advertisements that had the name of his dairy. Treasures!!

• Like 6