The Daily for Friday Sep 4, 2020

richwmn

today is National Food Bank Day, Newspaper Carrier Day, and College Colors Day (Red and Black)  

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
        -- Isaac Asimov

Meal suggestion for today - Cheese Tortellini with Tomatoes and Corn

Drink of the Day - Aloha Pina Colada

Wine of the day - Château Branaire-Ducru St.-Julien vintage 2016

At Sea Atlantic
Eurodam destination Sint Eustatius eta 9/15
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Sint Eustatius eta 9/14
Volendam destination Gibraltar eta 9/8
Westerdam destination Gibraltar eta 9/9

At Sea in the Red Sea
Noordam destination Suez Canal eta 9/8
Zuiderdam destination Suez Canal eta 9/8

At Sea Pacific
Oosterdam destination Punta Arenas eta 9/4

Aigio Greece
Maasdam

Katakolo
Veendam

Punta Arenas
Koningsdam

Rosyth GB
Rotterdam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Amsterdam
Nieuw Statendam
Zaandam

0904World.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.

Happy Friday!

Thank you for the Daily Report.  Love the map.

College Colors Day  -  interesting.  What college has red and black?  The Ottawa CFL team is called the Redblacks.

I like the quote.

Thanks for the dinner and wine suggestions.

Praying for good health.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 4

image.jpeg.153b82cba0eb25f0248ae380fb4a019b.jpeg

Doug lived all his life in the Florida Keys and is on his deathbed and
knows the end is near. His nurse, his wife, his daughter and two sons,
are with him. He asks for two witnesses to be present and a camcorder
be in place to record his last wishes, and when all is ready, he
begins to speak:

"My son, I want you to take the Ocean Reef houses."

"My daughter Sybil, you take the apartments between mile markers 100
and Tavernier."

"My son, Jamie, I want you to take the offices over in the Marathon
Government Center."

"Sarah, my dear wife, please take all the residential buildings on the
bayside on Blackwater Sound."

The nurse and witnesses are blown away as they did not realize his
extensive holdings, and as Doug slips away, the nurse says, "Mrs.
Pender, your husband must have been such a hard-working man to have
accumulated all this property."

The wife replies, "I wish! That is his paper route."

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  I have just one color, dark green.  I briefly had a paper route in high school while a friend was on vacation.  It's a very rough year for food banks.  Interesting quote.

IMG_8941.JPG.543c47795c660f82bc1c1439a8edb0bc.JPG

Today’s care list:

Mrs Vmax

Recovery from Laura and Marco

Those dealing with wildfires

Rain and relief for Phoenix and much of the southwest

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

The Bird in Hand fire chief and son Jason

Schools dealing with Covid outbreaks

Victims of Sturgis Rally

Solution of a 3-year old Meiko Loxley murder in my neighborhood

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

The first Sturgeis death has been confirmed.  The murder was about a 3-minute walk from my house.

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Welcome Darjeeling and Hhagatha

Front line health workers

Cruising-along starting a road trip

Return to school either in person or virtually

Progress on wildfires

Safe return of Highland cruisers

Roy

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Rich. The Daily is my favorite morning read. Thank you.

Goodness, what would folks in need do without the outpouring of volunteers to run the food banks. God bless them.

Growing up I always wanted a newspaper route but we lived too far from town and papers were delivered when it was still very dark. 

Last night we met friends at a Cajun place called Gumbo's in Georgetown. We were the only 4 in the dining area. Most people sat out on the deck or the bar area. I can now say I have tried Etouffee. (meh) I am happy my sweet husband knows several couples here he was in service with. They flew together in Vietnam and Fort Hood. Stories shared I haven't heard in the 29 year's we've been married.

Weather really cooled off last night. Rain due most of the day. We need it very much.

Wear your Friday red til our troops come home. God bless, love ya'll.

• Like 11

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Roy, thank you for helping us Care & Celebrate!

Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Today is my turn for a Heat Advisory with 110 the expected high. Yesterday our onshore breezes really helped make it enjoyable to be outside. Perhaps I will be lucky again today.

Our local food banks have been really overwhelmed in my area, so they deserve their own year!  I will be celebrating in blue & gold today!   Meal sounds interesting. 
Love the quote!

Prayers to all who need our support.

Woo Hoo to all we are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This red blend from Bordeaux has amazing ratings. It is expensive - for me, at $70, but it really sounds like something I would enjoy. Some of the many reviewers said you can drink it now. But the majority said to hold it for a couple years. 

#16 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

Blend: 64% Cabernet Sauvignon, 27% Merlot, 6% Petit Verdot, 3% Cabernet Franc

WS96
Wine Spectator
The core of this red is loaded with pure plum, blueberry and black currant fruit flavors. The polished structure is integrated, with alluring ganache, anise and sweet tobacco notes throughout, all in a polished and balanced frame. A very classy red that isn't shy about its power but pushes its purity to the fore. Best from 2024 through 2039.
  • Like 9

Good morning Rich, Roy, and all the Daily-ites.

My college colors are red and black.  YEA!!

Everyone stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.  Prayers for all on our list and congratulations to the others.

Aloha Colada
  1. Ice.
  2. 60ml Aloha 65.
  3. 50ml coconut milk (full fat)
  4. 75ml fresh pineapple juice.
  5. 1 tbsp sugar syrup (2 parts white sugar to 1 part water)
  6. Juice of ½ lime.
  7. Slice of pineapple and cocktail umbrella to garnish.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Paper routes!  Both my children had a paper route while we lived in Columbus, Ohio (Columbus Dispatch).  Boy do we have stories to tell, like the Sunday morning the wind chill was -72F.  Those Sunday papers were very large, filled with ads, and I would help deliver while Dad drove a trunk full of newspapers along the route for us to gather from.  We literally froze!  But boy, her tips were huge that month because no one could believe their newspapers were there on their doorstep before 7 am!

Speaking of those two children, both my kids teach and have been back at school this week during this pandemic.  My daughter was assigned to a new school because they needed a 4th grade math teacher and she has an education degree from Ohio State that gives her the credentials to teach 1st-8th grade, any subject.  The room is arranged in a way that the students are distanced, they all wear masks, and there are plexiglass shields around each student's desk area.  Here is what it looks like.

Photo by Michelle Sylvester Reid 📚 on August 28, 2020. Image may contain: table and indoor.  Meanwhile my son is a professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the University of Michigan and he is teaching a graduate level course this semester.  He has about 20 students in a huge lecture hall and about 20 students online watching his lecture.  Many are foreign students and have to attend at least some of their classes in person for their visas.  He wears a mask even though he says it makes it harder for some of them to understand him, but it is required and he is probably 50 feet away from any student.  I'm so proud of both my kids for their hard work and dedication to their professions.
  • Like 15

Good morning all.  I heard the paper carrier this morning as it has cooled off and the windows are open.  Our DD had a paper route growing up, but when she broke her foot one winter guess who took over!  The food banks all need our contributions, a shout out to the volunteers.  Thanks to everyone who contributes to this thread (even one time posters).  We do have a large readership.  I like the drink of the day suggestion for sure and drinking one in Hawaii would be nice!   Get well wishes for those on the care list and cheers for those celebrating.  

• Like 6

IMG_0685.JPG
Blue and gold! Go Lancers. Not sure that they are playing football this fall due to Covid. Daughters are also alumni and currently have two grandchildren as students there albeit virtually at least in the fall semester.

As always, thanks for this thread and the info everyone posts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 5

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  My college colours are  Green and White; go Huskies!  I really appreciate our newspaper carriers; I leave pkgs of handwarmers out for them during the winter, and often leave little treat bags during the warmer months.  National Food Bank Day - these days more and more people are having to rely on food banks - we try to contribute each week when we buy groceries by purchasing a bag full of essentials and leaving it in the drop box on our way out of the store.

Neither of us is a fan of tortellini, but I think we could sub in spaghetti for dinner tonight - if I play my cards right and make enough, we'll have leftovers for tomorrow as well.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Cheers and toasts to those on our celebration list!  Be well, stay safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 8

I guess I need three sets of colors. White and Crimson (Grove City College, undergrad), Cardinal and Gold (Iowa State University, grad school), and Blue and Gold (UCLA, postdoc). 

As a chemist and long time 3M researcher, I can assure you that the quote is absolutely accurate!

I love pina coladas, but Mitzi has an allergic reaction to pineapple - so no pina coladas at our house 😪

Heading out on a fishing excursion at HMC during our first cruise in 2002 -

image.thumb.png.7015f2eb881c4be554b17a1e643d184d.png

• Like 9

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Glad to see the Food Banks celebrated with their own day.  They certainly deserve to be celebrated all year - especially this one where they are so needed.

It’s so nice to have your newspaper delivered to read in the morning.

Interesting quote by Asimov indeed.

@StLouisCruisers that set up for the students looks like it has been well done.  Nice to see.

The Pina Colada sounds delish.  Not warm enough here for one though, sadly 😞  Hopefully it warms up and the sun comes out so I can get some gardening done (and maybe a few pics for tomorrow 😉 )

Prayers to everyone on Roy’s Care list and we join in the celebration for all of those on the shout out list.

Have a great Friday and stay safe everyone 😄 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, kazu said:

Glad to see the Food Banks celebrated with their own day.  They certainly deserve to be celebrated all year - especially this one where they are so needed.

I hope not just National but International Food Bank day.

Roy

• Like 3

Good to support those food banks!  Was nice that HAL donated in Vancouver.

Also proud of my daughter a teacher who took last year off to complete her Masters, and did while also having three kids at home and has now returned in a pandemic.  Wish our schools were as well equipped @StLouisCruisers

Our teachers and food bank volunteers deserve one of these 

image.thumb.jpeg.c29f4eaed66a97f71a8f6cbffc4e3d03.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 11

Good morning, everyone. If I type fast....it will still be morning here before I finish.

I'm glad when the Food Banks are in the fore because they are so important. Wouldn't it be nice if they weren't necessary?

My middle child started delivering newspapers when he was 7 (easy biking through the village), and he has taken that work ethic into adulthood. So proud of him.

College colours for me are purple and white-The University of Western Ontario.

I like the meal suggestion. We usually have tortellini once a week or so, so it might hit the plates tonight. With wine!

3 hours ago, summer slope said:

Aloha Colada

1. Ice.
  2. 60ml Aloha 65.
  3. 50ml coconut milk (full fat)
  4. 75ml fresh pineapple juice.
  5. 1 tbsp sugar syrup (2 parts white sugar to 1 part water)
  6. Juice of ½ lime.
  7. Slice of pineapple and cocktail umbrella to garnish.

This drink sounds great! I'll add it to the list of what to try on that first cruise. (Going to need the drink package at this rate, I think!)

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Speaking of those two children, both my kids teach and have been back at school this week during this pandemic.  My daughter was assigned to a new school because they needed a 4th grade math teacher and she has an education degree from Ohio State that gives her the credentials to teach 1st-8th grade, any subject.  The room is arranged in a way that the students are distanced, they all wear masks, and there are plexiglass shields around each student's desk area.  Here is what it looks like

That looks very inviting and safe. Unfortunately, here, I haven't seen that sort of thing done unless teachers have paid for it. Despite appearing to spend money, schools are still waiting for PPE, hand sanitizer and disinfectant to be delivered. Many teachers still don't have their assignments so planning remains flexible. I know how anxious this is making teachers, because as a rule, planning happens all through August.  😞

2 hours ago, superoma said:

IMG_0685.JPG
Blue and gold! Go Lancers. Not sure that they are playing football this fall due to Covid. Daughters are also alumni and currently have two grandchildren as students there albeit virtually at least in the fall semester.

I had two go to Windsor and a third that was supposed to go but got a scholarship to Queen's at the last minute. As a parent, Windsor is AWESOME. The faculty really care about the students, and I felt so good about them being there.

It looks to be a cool, but sunny day here today. Fall is definitely in the air. The pool is clear, but it's time to make that call to have it closed. Son and grandson were here yesterday and chose not to go in because it has cooled down to 75º. Brrrrr (I like 83º-90º)

Prayers for those in need.

Be well! Stay safe! Be kind!

• Like 6

Thanks Rich for the daily on our beautiful ships, and thanks Roy for the care, concern and celebration lists!

Since I work at a college, my colors are Silver and Blue (United States Merchant Marine Academy, the Federal school for merchant marine officers - some of our graduates are captains and engineers on cruise ships!).

The drink sounds good...I'll have to remember that for a future cruise Happy Hour.

Have a wonderful day everyone - hope you all stay safe and enjoy the weekend!

Laura

• Like 6