September 4 update

brenderlou

1 hour ago, LXA350 said:

Hence, I doubt we will see the first "trial" cruises commence before January and this will likely be on a handfull of ships on itinararies not even known / published yet, talking for the US. 

This sounds like a reasonable forecast.  Assuming covid doesn't blow up any worse than it is now.

Every day I'm more happy that we shifted a B2B2B Freedom in January 21' to 2022.

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

There is something posted elsewhere, saying that rcl will wait until the end of sept to update us on changes, after the health board is done. 

Due to the nature of cancellations now (by region, market and ships), that page could have updates fairly often. The days of fleet wide cancellations are just about over.

4 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Due to the nature of cancellations now (by region, market and ships), that page could have updates fairly often. The days of fleet wide cancellations are just about over.

But rcl said they wouldnt update us on new procedures until at least end of september after that board is finished with their recommendations... so ain't going to be much news for another month.

20200904_125631142.jpeg

19 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

But rcl said they wouldnt update us on new procedures until at least end of september after that board is finished with their recommendations... so ain't going to be much news for another month.

The health panel recommendation won't have a direct bearing on cancellations short term - more cancellations will happen before then, like Australia's cruise ban extension will have RCI cancel some more sailings there before the end of the month. If RCI can't negotiate with the Chinese and Shanghai port, Spectrum's October sailings will likely be cancelled before the end of the month. Even a "fleet wide" cancellation may come before the health panel recommendations are released.

The health panel recommendations just say what to do once sailings start, not when they'll start.

Edited by Biker19

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

The health panel recommendation won't have a direct bearing on cancellations short term - more cancellations will happen before then, like Australia's cruise ban extension will have RCI cancel some more sailings there before the end of the month. If RCI can't negotiate with the Chinese and Shanghai port, Spectrum's October sailings will likely be cancelled before the end of the month. Even a "fleet wide" cancellation may come before the health panel recommendations are released.

True I expect more cancellations. I guess by news I meant, ok we are going to start and this is the plan as news. Right now we are just left hanging.

I too dont expect cancellations are over. I dont think they can get crew on ships and theater shows ready by November. 

Also assuming someone's cruise in November or December will actually happen, more realistically not before begining of 2021, the only thing that might be the same is the actual ship / ship class. The actual experience will be something completely different, such as different itinararies (only sea days or less and different stops). It will also be very likely that at the begining you can only disembark the ships if a shore excursion was booked from the cruise line. Hence, everyone should just wait and see what happens and not get to excited that even if crusing will commence step by step, their originally planned itinarary ship will actually happen. Same goes for the expectations, they need to be very low as things will be a lot different at the begining and require compromises. In order to avoid disapointments and go after the cruiseline to complain, it's better to wait and see before going on the first cruise.

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

20200904_125631142.jpeg

Super optimistic. The comment submission period closed mid-september. It will be at least 30 days, probably 60, before the CDC goes through all that, weighs it against their own expertise, forms guidance, reviews it with the CLIA quietly, and then publishes it. I would expect non-trivial things need to be done on all ships then and the cruise lines will need to have signage made and installed, distance markers put down, lots of plexiglass shields made and custom fit all over each ship, you name it.  Hopefully at the same time they are re-staffing and moving ships to first cruise ports.  Oh and all this in ports too.  Some ships must get to a port for re-certification to sail again.  Supply chains must be reinstated and orders readied and double checked to be delivered first day.  When you add all this up.... Seems obvious cruising can't restart for a few months AFTER the CDC says okay.

13 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Super optimistic. The comment submission period closed mid-september. It will be at least 30 days, probably 60, before the CDC goes through all that, weighs it against their own expertise, forms guidance, reviews it with the CLIA quietly, and then publishes it.

I would hope that the CDC is moving at warp speed and this won't be true.  If you remember the CDC guidelines for getting crew off the ships it was the cruise lines and not the CDC moving slowly.  Cruise lines weren't following CDC guidelines, hopefully it will be different when the cruise lines resume sailing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I would hope that the CDC is moving at warp speed and this won't be true.  If you remember the CDC guidelines for getting crew off the ships it was the cruise lines and not the CDC moving slowly.  Cruise lines weren't following CDC guidelines, hopefully it will be different when the cruise lines resume sailing.

There are thousands of comments to tabulate.  Don't typically see any government agency move at warp speed.  the CDC guidance for removing crews was "not here, you don't."

21 hours ago, brenderlou said:

RCCL updated their sailings. So far we are still on for November!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I dont want to burst your happy bubble but rcl site basically changes the update date on a daily basis.   Sometimes with no changes.  But I sure do hope that you get to go on your cruise as I hope I get to go on my dec sailing.  

32 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I dont want to burst your happy bubble but rcl site basically changes the update date on a daily basis. 

They used to do that, but about two months ago they stopped doing that and usually only change it when there's some change - though it could be minor and affect few customers. 

21 hours ago, brenderlou said:

I’ll take it as long as my November cruise is still on. I know it could be cancelled but I’m still hoping!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Same here! We don't have anything for Nov booked, but will book Navigator for 11/20 if she is sailing so that we can cruise and see our friend who is a crew member

1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

There are thousands of comments to tabulate.  Don't typically see any government agency move at warp speed.  the CDC guidance for removing crews was "not here, you don't."

You should go back and read the reports.  Cruise lines were blatantly ignoring CDC requirements on groups, buffets, testing, etc.  Everything they will need to do to protect the passengers.