Cruise Critic News: E-Muster, Keyless Cabin Check-in and More: Royal Caribbean Group Announces Smartphone App Improvements

LauraS

Guilty.  It's where I often check my email.  I don't mind having my phone on a ship.  I use it for everything.  I've switched to a front pocket minimalist wallet that has my driver's license, a couple of credit cards (for stores without Apple Pay) and a few dollars for emergencies.  I rarely take it out of my pocket.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 5:16 AM, twangster said:

Greater functionality in the app will be wonderful. 

The keyless cabin unlocking didn't work so well on Oasis but that's consistent my experience trying to use BLE locks on my house back on land which works well no better than 50% of the time.  This is just as likely to be my phone's fault as it is the locks fault but with so many different phones used by different guests it will be hard to do any better.  I've given up trying to find the perfect bluetooth lock for my house, it's cost me a small fortune to try the best rated ones that all disappoint in real world use.  

I think the broad spectrum of devices using various versions of operating systems will remain to be a challenge for any app maker including Royal.  Carnival's Medallion approach may prove to be a more effective approach to minimizing contact and it satisfies the guests that don't want to carry their phone on vacation.  

The app approach has more potential in theory but in the end it has to actually work or it's just a waste of money.   Here's hoping the Royal app continues to progress and that eMuster works a lot better compared to unlocking the cabin door.

I regularly stay in Hilton properties and most of them use bluetooth locks.  I haven't had one experience where they didn't work well so I'm thinking it is possible Royal could go that route and make it successful.  

• Like 1

I use my phone for everything and it goes with me everywhere.  It's my camera on vacation so I always have with me.  

Contactless payment is the way of the future and I love it.  With only a few exceptions, everywhere I shop offers Apple pay.  I just can't imagine that royal couldn't offer the same with your seapass card.  Load it into the Apple wallet and away you go. Open doors with bluetooth in the app, MDR menu's in the app, order room service with the app.  I understand why some don't like carrying their phone around but for me it's no problem.  I love the convenience that all this new tech provides.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

I use my phone for everything and it goes with me everywhere.  It's my camera on vacation so I always have with me.  

Contactless payment is the way of the future and I love it.  With only a few exceptions, everywhere I shop offers Apple pay.  I just can't imagine that royal couldn't offer the same with your seapass card.  Load it into the Apple wallet and away you go. Open doors with bluetooth in the app, MDR menu's in the app, order room service with the app.  I understand why some don't like carrying their phone around but for me it's no problem.  I love the convenience that all this new tech provides.

I'm on a samsung android, not apple.

Does anyone have the rcl app so we can download it ahead of our cruise?

27 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm on a samsung android, not apple.

Does anyone have the rcl app so we can download it ahead of our cruise?

I have never used it but I'm told Google pay works just as well.

Here is where you can get the RCL app for Android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rccl.royalcaribbean

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I have never used it but I'm told Google pay works just as well.

Here is where you can get the RCL app for Android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rccl.royalcaribbean

I use google pay for my war games but not real life. 

I have a touch less credit card, but not everyone is set up for touch less.

Tech passed me by. 

Thanks for the app. Let's hope I get to use it next February 

Like those above, I like to unplug from the world while cruising. With that said I use my phone as a camera, watch, magnifying glass, and many other tools. This app will just be another tool. From what I’ve seen, a very good tool. 

But it will not be my toilet reader. 😇

9 hours ago, Diego Da Monkey said:

So does this mean that ships like the Radiance of the Seas will get expedited App installs....seeing as the a Royal app is currently not available on her ?

RCI promised to have the app rolled out fleet wide by the end of the year - that may or may not happen.

What happens to people like me who dont own a cell phone???

george35

That's a very valid question.  And it includes those of us who don't walk around with a cell phone glued to our hand all day.

You will do the muster on the TV in your room. You will still be able to use your keycard for purchases and to open your room door.

21 minutes ago, Yorkvillain said:

You will do the muster on the TV in your room.

Some ships may not have that - you'll only need your SeaPass card to do the muster drill in person. The old school ways of doing things will be in place for a long time to come.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Some ships may not have that - you'll only need your SeaPass card to do the muster drill in person. The old school ways of doing things will be in place for a long time to come.

Why do you say that? Has Royal given any indication that Muster 2.0 isn't going fleetwide? 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5482/

9 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Why do you say that? Has Royal given any indication that Muster 2.0 isn't going fleetwide? 

It could very well be that when sailing resumes not all ships will have the RCI app available (4 currently don't) - like the chat function, for some reason, RCI may not want to use the the Muster function on all ships which do have the app. Also, RCI has to have things in place for folks who don't want to use an app or the TV in the cabin for the muster drill.

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

It could very well be that when sailing resumes not all ships will have the RCI app available (4 currently don't) - like the chat function, for some reason, RCI may not want to use the the Muster function on all ships which do have the app. Also, RCI has to have things in place for folks who don't want to use an app or the TV in the cabin for the muster drill.

Your logic doesn't make much sense. If they're not going to implement Muster 2.0 on every ship that resumes sailing and go back to the former way of mustering on some ships that kind of defeats the logic of doing it on ANY ship. The whole point of revising the mustering process is that currently you cannot physical distance during the process. So you cannot go back to the former way of doing it. 

Additionally, I can understand someone not wanting to use a smartphone for the process (not everyone owns one) but that's why you can do it on the TV. There doesn't have to be a third choice. Either use a smartphone or the in room TV. 

6 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

If they're not going to implement Muster 2.0 on every ship that resumes sailing and go back to the former way of mustering on some ships that kind of defeats the logic of doing it on ANY ship.

I didn't say they will go back to the former way, just that an in person drill, without technology solution has to be available. Tui has individualized muster drills - you come down to the designated location (like you used to), but instead of a huge group waiting for a certain time, they do it right away with whoever is there at the time (could be just one person). The use of the App or the TV in the cabin, does not eliminate the need of the portion of the drill where you need to walk to the muster location - just shortens it.

• Like 1

I saw a YouTube review review yesterday where a guy took a cruise to nowhere on TUI (I believe Royal is an investor)on August 21st and gives you and idea about the muster drill and cruise check in and check out times.  Unlike Royal, you can do the muster on your app but I wonder if we also will need to pick a time to check out on it to?

Edited by Plum Happy

28 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

Unlike Royal, you can do the muster on your app but I wonder if we also will need to pick a time to check out on it to?

I'm not sure even RCI knows exactly how it will use the new Muster drill function in the RCI app when sailings resume.

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

I'm not sure even RCI knows exactly how it will use the new Muster drill function in the RCI app when sailings resume.

Why do you think that?  I am sure they have tested it out with the crew and staff.  They wouldn't have altered everyone about it if they didn't.