Whats the story for dec cruises?

seaman11

18 hours ago, skridge said:

I believe everyone but Carnival has canceled Cruising in the US through December 15th.  Carnival is still holding out trying to squeeze every dollar they can out of there loyal customers they can.  Pretty sure the CDC is not going to cancel the no sail order when the pandemic is coming to it's peak.  I hope we can get through the peak and the confusion of flu and Covid happening at the same time and then maybe they could start back up around March.  I wish people would have worked together and all taken this virus seriously.  I think we definitely could have been back to cruising by the end of the year if that had happened.

I don't think that is true. I have a RCCL Cruise for December 13th. We are not cancelled - RCCL is planning on November 1st also if possible.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, brenderlou said:

Magic hasn’t moved off the coast of Italy. Not sure this is true.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are correct. According to marinevesseltraffic.com: "The current position of CARNIVAL MAGIC is at West Mediterranean (coordinates 39.68453 N / 14.06649 E) reported 0 min ago by AIS. The vessel is en route to ADRIFT/CIVITAVECCHI, sailing at a speed of 0.5 knots and expected to arrive there on Sep 17, 08:00."

https://www.marinevesseltraffic.com/vessels/CARNIVAL-MAGIC/CURRENT-POSITION/9378486/370491000

3 hours ago, LynnTH said:

I don't think that is true. I have a RCCL Cruise for December 13th. We are not cancelled - RCCL is planning on November 1st also if possible.  

I thought I had read that somewhere I made a mistake.  I do not believe any Cruises will leave the US before the end of this calendar year.  I hope I am wrong and it ends up being safe enough to cruise.  I don't see how it will just after the peak of a pandemic, but you never know.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skridge said:

I thought I had read that somewhere I made a mistake.  I do not believe any Cruises will leave the US before the end of this calendar year.  I hope I am wrong and it ends up being safe enough to cruise.  I don't see how it will just after the peak of a pandemic, but you never know.

I agree.  I believe that the CDC will extend no sail order through mid December or till end of the year.   

2 hours ago, coevan said:

My crew friend on the Vista are still home in the Philippines, no definitive dates yet

16 minutes ago, Cruiseboy06 said:

Ah i thought John Heald say we are going to cruise in November..........   This speaks volumes to what your friend said..

That’s one employee — not all. Everyone has different contract start dates and not everyone will get a new contract. Limited ships and limited capacity equates to fewer associates with a lower payroll. 

Perhaps this one in particular just didn’t make the cut for the first phase of operations. Remember, there are more candidates competing for a small number of positions.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

That’s one employee — not all. Everyone has different contract start dates and not everyone will get a new contract. Limited ships and limited capacity equates to fewer associates with a lower payroll. 

Perhaps this one in particular just didn’t make the cut for the first phase of operations. Remember, there are more candidates competing for a small number of positions.

Well it’s at least 2 a husband and wife bartender and bar manager12 years with the company, 8 on the Magic, rest on the Vista. They stay in touch with many cruise crew and they have not got any marching orders.

4 minutes ago, coevan said:

Well it’s at least 2 a husband and wife bartender and bar manager12 years with the company, 8 on the Magic, rest on the Vista. They stay in touch with many cruise crew and they have not got any marching orders.

5 minutes ago, coevan said:

I imagine  Carnival will call the crew members who want to go back and have some seniority first to return to the ships..   Most likely "new crew members" are replacing old crew..    If "the rumors"  are true we would be seeing more crew being called........ 

27 minutes ago, Cruiseboy06 said:

I imagine  Carnival will call the crew members who want to go back and have some seniority first to return to the ships..   Most likely "new crew members" are replacing old crew..    If "the rumors"  are true we would be seeing more crew being called........ 

You act like sufficient notice is needed. It’s not.

When furloughs and temporary layoffs end, employers expect you to be there sometimes within a day’s notice.

Carnival can provide an offer to leave the next day and still have enough crew members accept it to staff the ships accordingly. Fewer ships with a reduced capacity equate to fewer associates operating at a lower payroll. There are more candidates available in their potential employee pool than there are positions available. With three ships being scrapped and another likely to be scrapped once space becomes available on the beach, that will be four ships’ worth of displaced crew members competing for the available positions.

The theme parks in Orlando are open but there are still a large percentage of CMs and TMs still on furlough that haven’t been called back yet.

Edited by xDisconnections

10 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

You act like sufficient notice is needed. It’s not.

When furloughs and temporary layoffs end, employers expect you to be there sometimes within a day’s notice.

Carnival can provide an offer to leave the next day and still have enough crew members accept it to staff the ships accordingly. Fewer ships with a reduced capacity equate to fewer associates operating at a lower payroll. There are more candidates available in their potential employee pool than there are positions available. With three ships being scrapped and another likely to be scrapped once space becomes available on the beach, that will be four ships’ worth of displaced crew members competing for the available positions.

The theme parks in Orlando are open but there are still a large percentage of CMs and TMs still on furlough that haven’t been called back yet.

You need to be like my wife and I and go to Disney more often to help the CMs. If wearing a mask doesn’t bother you, it is a great time to go to the parks because on most days they are not very crowded with very short lines for most attractions. We are going there again next Friday and then going for a long weekend in October like we have done in the past for the Food and Wine Festival. I still think if Disney can enforce social distancing with reduced capacity, there is no reason a cruise ship can’t do the same thing. It may not be an apples to apples comparison, but a lot of the issues and challenges are similar. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

You need to be like my wife and I and go to Disney more often to help the CMs. If wearing a mask doesn’t bother you, it is a great time to go to the parks because on most days they are not very crowded with very short lines for most attractions. We are going there again next Friday and then going for a long weekend in October like we have done in the past for the Food and Wine Festival. I still think if Disney can enforce social distancing with reduced capacity, there is no reason a cruise ship can’t do the same thing. It may not be an apples to apples comparison, but a lot of the issues and challenges are similar. 

We did Kennedy Space Center last month we found that everyone was complying with the social distancing. We also went to Mote in Sarasota and found no compliance. People were taking off their masks and were crowding on top of each other to see the exhibits. The major difference between the two places is that the volunteers at Kennedy were mostly retires and at Mote they were all high school kids.

3 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

We did Kennedy Space Center last month we found that everyone was complying with the social distancing. We also went to Mote in Sarasota and found no compliance. People were taking off their masks and were crowding on top of each other to see the exhibits. The major difference between the two places is that the volunteers at Kennedy were mostly retires and at Mote they were all high school kids.

That’s one of my concerns with Carnival. Carnival has a history of not enforcing a lot of their own rules. While their is no doubt in my mind employees on RCI and Celebrity (other cruise lines I am familiar with) will have no problem enforcing COVID related procedures and policies, I question whether Carnival employees will be able to do this.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

That’s one of my concerns with Carnival. Carnival has a history of not enforcing a lot of their own rules. While their is no doubt in my mind employees on RCI and Celebrity (other cruise lines I am familiar with) will have no problem enforcing COVID related procedures and policies, I question whether Carnival employees will be able to do this.  

With reduced staffing, the crews can't be lax or risk someone else taking their job. Carnival and all cruise lines will strongly enforce the rules because they won't have a choice.

2 hours ago, regoodwinjr said:

With reduced staffing, the crews can't be lax or risk someone else taking their job. Carnival and all cruise lines will strongly enforce the rules because they won't have a choice.

Sounds good in theory, but we will not know until cruises actually start. And it's not like in the middle of a cruise replacements for crew members can be immediately added. You can't just beam someone aboard.