I am FINALLY ready to book but.....

southernshug

I have a couple of questions. I have it narrowed down for May 2021 to Alaska on Koningsdam, leaving from Vancouver, with stops at Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay and Ketchikan OR Eurodam out of Seattle, stopping at Stephens Passage, Juneau, Glacier Bay, Icy Strait, Sitka and Ketchikan. Looking to book aft cabins on either deck 6 or 7 on Koningsdam and with Eurodam, they only have deck 8 available. So my questions are this......Do you feel one itinerary is better than the other? And is deck 8 on the Eurodam extremely loud because its below a pool? I'd love to hear everyones opinions! Thank you 

5 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Deck 8 likely will get some noise from the pool area, but since it is Alaska, should not be too bad.

I like the Eurodam itinerary better - be sure to whale watch out of Icy Point Straight!

Do you get off the ship at Icy Point or is it a cruise thru type thing?

8 hours ago, southernshug said:

I have a couple of questions. I have it narrowed down for May 2021 to Alaska on Koningsdam, leaving from Vancouver, with stops at Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay and Ketchikan OR Eurodam out of Seattle, stopping at Stephens Passage, Juneau, Glacier Bay, Icy Strait, Sitka and Ketchikan. Looking to book aft cabins on either deck 6 or 7 on Koningsdam and with Eurodam, they only have deck 8 available. So my questions are this......Do you feel one itinerary is better than the other? And is deck 8 on the Eurodam extremely loud because its below a pool? I'd love to hear everyones opinions! Thank you 

We had an aft cabin on the Eurodam and one night we heard a dreadful din about 1 am.  We realised after a bit crew were moving furniture above us on the pool deck.  Next morning we spoke to someone at the Front Office and from thereon we had few problems.  Apart from that, I loved the location.

We did a May Alaska cruise in an aft cabin. We were on the deck below the Lido. The only time we heard anything from above was the day we were doing Glacier Bay. We heard a few chairs being moved to the rail above us. We could and did,

talk with the people sitting above while we were on our deck. Noise was NOT a problem for us.   

Edited by Trapper44
spelling

I like the Seattle itinerary better. Sitka was a welcome surprise. One thing to keep in mind when sailing from Seattle is that depending on your itinerary, you may sail west of Vancouver Island which will mean you won’t enjoy the inside passage views during that portion of your cruise. 

1 hour ago, southernshug said:

What all is in Sitka? Details needed please 🙂

It’s a small town. Lots of Russian influence. Quaint downtown area. We decided to hike through the Sitka National Forest on our way to the Alaska Raptor Center where we got to see rescued bald eagles up close as well as other birds of prey. On our way back, we worked our way through the town and visited the Orthodox Church in the middle of town. Other people in our group took a scenic kayak tour which they enjoyed immensely. 

We enjoyed Sitka because of its simplicity and natural beauty. It was a welcome change from other ports like Juneau and Ketchikan with multiple cruise ships in port and hordes of tourists which made them feel like Nassau on a busy day. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, southernshug said:

What all is in Sitka? Details needed please 🙂

We found Sitka to be a lovely, charming town. But for us the attraction was in the setting. Sitka's surroundings are beautiful. We did the Whales and Wildlife excursion and spent a fair amount of time with several humpbacks, got quite close to a group of otters, and saw several bald eagles along with other wildlife. We honestly would have been happy just cruising among all of the small islands viewing the scenery even if we had seen no animals at all.

436.thumb.JPG.e598a10c372edd689b6346e7e2cba682.JPG

Either is a good choice and we're sure you will enjoy whichever you pick.

Lori & George

• Like 1

I would pick Eurodam for the itinerary, Icy Straight and Sitka are less common ports.  Icy Straight is a more authentic port to experience nature, Alaskan Native culture, or zip line down the mountain.  Those who disembark for shopping, for chains such as Diamonds International, may be visibly and vocally disappointed.

We added Alaska onto our coastal for a B2B, even considered flying to Seattle the same day to switch ships, but it didn't seem worth it.  I would lean towards the amenities on Koningsdam, but many would prefer the smaller ship experience of Euroadam.  Itinerary always leads the decision.

2 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I would pick Eurodam for the itinerary, Icy Straight and Sitka are less common ports.  Icy Straight is a more authentic port to experience nature, Alaskan Native culture, or zip line down the mountain.  Those who disembark for shopping, for chains such as Diamonds International, may be visibly and vocally disappointed.

We added Alaska onto our coastal for a B2B, even considered flying to Seattle the same day to switch ships, but it didn't seem worth it.  I would lean towards the amenities on Koningsdam, but many would prefer the smaller ship experience of Euroadam.  Itinerary always leads the decision.

I agree on the ports.  I would point out though that the Eurodam is not that much smaller than the Koningsdam (in fact, it has the Tamarind dining option, which only 4 of HAL's ships have).  

• Like 1

Do the out of Seattle cruise!  Sitka is my favorite port in Alaska.  There is so much to see just by walking around that lovely town.

The Russian influences are everywhere.  The flights into Seattle are numerous.  AND, it is a wonderful place to visit.

I can't speak to the vessels or the cabins.

I cant thank everyone enough for your insight! Thankfully, shopping is not a big deal to us, so Sitka sounds beautiful!!!!

Now my next question, lol........do we get an aft on deck 8 (only afts available) or do we get a signature suite midshipman left side??? Oh my goodness.....so many choices, haha

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

I agree on the ports.  I would point out though that the Eurodam is not that much smaller than the Koningsdam (in fact, it has the Tamarind dining option, which only 4 of HAL's ships have).  

Oh that's right, sister ship to Nieuw Amsterdam.  The choice is obvious then.

3 hours ago, southernshug said:

I cant thank everyone enough for your insight! Thankfully, shopping is not a big deal to us, so Sitka sounds beautiful!!!!

Now my next question, lol........do we get an aft on deck 8 (only afts available) or do we get a signature suite midshipman left side??? Oh my goodness.....so many choices, haha

I love the Signature Suites - very roomy and prices reasonable IMO - better deal most times than a Neptune.  Plus, being in a Signature you could get offered an upsell to a Neptune for a good price $200-300 for a 7 day cruise (pp).