Wondering about CDC

brenderlou

On 9/27/2020 at 10:32 AM, molly361 said:

That's what they keep reporting on the news here in Central Florida.  No cruises out of PC until 2021

Why? What's the deal with PC. That area seems to be less infected than South Florida. Wouldn't it make sense to start there?

21 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Why? What's the deal with PC. That area seems to be less infected than South Florida. Wouldn't it make sense to start there?

Port Canaveral Expects to Post $36.6M Loss in 2021
https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/local/2020/08/24/port-canaveral-expects-post-36-6-m-loss-2021-because-covid-19/3426066001/

They’ve furloughed shoreside cruise support staff and budgeted a big decrease in security needs.  I’m sure their projections are based on credible information.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Anton said:

If this reporting is accurate, it goes along with other reporting on the WH pushing the reopening obviously for political reasons. I'm good with another 30 day ban. Let's see where the country is in 30 days. Ban or no Ban cruise companies have to decide if the risk is worth the reward so to speak with the reopening timeline. They are the ones that have everything to lose here.

• Like 2

Just now, flyguyjake said:

If this reporting is accurate, it goes along with other reporting on the WH pushing the reopening obviously for political reasons. I'm good with another 30 day ban. Let's see where the country is in 30 days. Ban or no Ban cruise companies have to decide if the risk is worth the reward so to speak with the reopening timeline. They are the ones that have everything to lose here.

Pushing it out to the end of February would be a disaster. Month to month makes more sense.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

Port Canaveral Expects to Post $36.6M Loss in 2021
https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/local/2020/08/24/port-canaveral-expects-post-36-6-m-loss-2021-because-covid-19/3426066001/

They’ve furloughed shoreside cruise support staff and budgeted a big decrease in security needs.  I’m sure their projections are based on credible information.

Thank you.

47 minutes ago, acstall said:

Let’s protect our citizens. That should be the first objective of our leaders. Not seeing that in the article about undermining of CDC. Awful.

Some of us think the cdc just wants to feel important and wish they werent in charge. My opinion of cdc is very low., if the WH stepped in good for them. Let cruises present their plans, review them and let cruises resume. Cdc itself seems political to me. Big egos who just need to feel important. Science has nothing to do with no sail order, just big egos. If we can fly in airplanes, go to disney etc safely we can cruise with lower capacity and safety rules. Please show me science rules that say anyone but cruises can operate in usa.

Make plans like other countries and let's start. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 4

Just now, yogimax said:

Don't you think the CDC should be non-political?

I do, but dont know it's possible. Everyone has their bias and seems to bring it to their decisions. 

If bias could be removed, I'm 100% for it.

I moved my feb 2021 so no skin in the game until april now. 

I'm for protecting the old and if like my parents they want to shelter in place until no covid, all good. Required masks, I wear mine. Those who want to take more risk, if cruiselines can put precautions in place and people stick to rules. Let them cruise. I'll hopefully go next april. 

I really wish a totally neutral body would review the protocols. True.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I do, but dont know it's possible. Everyone has their bias and seems to bring it to their decisions. 

Correct, we have our biases when it comes to opinions.

But you can't have a bias when asking, "What's the capitol of New Jersey?"

One hopes there would be those driven by facts who would not be biased.

1 minute ago, yogimax said:

Correct, we have our biases when it comes to opinions.

But you can't have a bias when asking, "What's the capitol of New Jersey?"

One hopes there would be those driven by facts who would not be biased.

Problem is what facts should drive when cruises resume? Dallas changed how they count deaths 3 times. Even that is a subject up for debate. 

There is no set of facts I know of that is directly a yes or no cruises should resume this nov, dec, jan etc.

Personally I plan on getting vaccine asap, whenever i can, and hopefully before my april cruise. My choice is to be less vulnerable. Those who dont want it, up to them. 

1 minute ago, SOCACRUISEGUY said:

The Whitehouse stepping in to overrule scientists... isn’t political? Give me a break. 🙄

Of course its political. I think you missed my pt. It's all political these days. 

Not sure how many are scientists and how many doctors. I'd feel better if they all got off tv instead of being talking heads. Where did I say it wasnt political. I said I'd like it if politics was taken out of the mix. 

10 hours ago, firefly333 said:

There is no set of facts I know of that is directly a yes or no cruises should resume this nov, dec, jan etc.

Here are a few for not returning to a cruise...

1.  Do not return if there is a chance that the virus can be caught onboard.

2.  Do not return if the cruise lines are acting out of economic need rather than safety considerations.

3.  Do not return if you have not received the vaccine.

4.  Do not return if your stay will cause you more worry and anxiety than happiness.

5.  Do not return if you worry about your health.

Do return, when it is safe and it will give you enjoyment.

Just now, yogimax said:

Here are a few for not returning to a cruise...

1.  Do not return if there is a chance that the virus can be caught onboard.

2.  Do not return if the cruise lines are acting out of economic need rather than safety considerations.

3.  Do not return if you have not received the vaccine.

4.  Do not return if your stay will cause you more worry and anxiety than happiness.

5.  Do not return if you worry about your health.

Do return, when it is safe and it will give you enjoyment.

What if covid is still here 5 years from now or covid mutated so the vaccine not 100%

I doubt living will be safe anytime soon, or cruising or flying or going to disney world. I personally think this isn't good for kids development to be shut at home. Not every parent is a good teacher. Some kids arent learning well. I think I read 23% higher anxiety and depression sheltering in place. 

I'm for letting those who want to cruise be allowed. It will never be 100% safe. Me I plan on the vaccine, but even that probably isn't 100% if it mutates, just safer. 

Let people choose, open the country. Masks mandatory and social distancing yes, but open and free. Big brother is waiting in the wings telling us way too much how to live for me. Sorry, we will have to agree to disagree, it might never be 100% safe. 

• Like 7

There is only one fact: unless the CDC does an unlikely 180 and drops the matter entirely, the only thing holding up a return to cruising is the requirement that the cruise lines submit an acceptable plan to mitigate an outbreak. The CDC is not telling us how to cruise, they are telling the cruise lines that they will be held responsible for mitigating the risks. At that point it becomes a business decision about how to do that.

• Like 2