Wondering about CDC

brenderlou

19 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

A lot of the candidates were eliminated in the primary -- now it's down to two.  Hopefully the next one will follow Gimenez's support. 

I hope so. I am in Fort Lauderdale and in March  the Mayor and lots of residents were totally against letting Holland America come in from South America and disembark at Port Everglades. I think it was the President who finally said “It is the humane thing to do” and that is when our Governor spoke to the Broward County Commissioners. In the meantime, Gimenez quietly agreed to let Coral Princess come in to PortMiami. Huge difference in how things were handled between Broward and Miami. 

I think RC, in the case of the no sail expiring, should at least offer full refunds to everyone who wants them at least until 2021. They can’t hold people hostage with their “higher value cruise credit” when a lot of people clearly aren’t up to the idea of traveling. 

Ithink they know for a fact the November cruises aren’t happening. They should just be up front about it and let people get full refunds for those. Rather they are waiting until the last possible moment, that way guests cancel themselves and don’t have the option of a refund.

business-wise it makes sense of course but it’s shady as hell because even the president of the company himself is saying they haven’t ruled out 2020 cruises... does that sound confident to you? 

just be up front about it

49 minutes ago, kuhne said:

Ithink they know for a fact the November cruises aren’t happening. They should just be up front about it and let people get full refunds for those. Rather they are waiting until the last possible moment, that way guests cancel themselves and don’t have the option of a refund.

business-wise it makes sense of course but it’s shady as hell because even the president of the company himself is saying they haven’t ruled out 2020 cruises... does that sound confident to you? 

just be up front about it

Agree!.  Sadly, it's one of those cases where the "right" thing to do is not in the best interest of the company.

Well this seems like good news and maybe I'm reading too much into it but this little story to me tells me the lines may indeed be getting ready to start up. Maybe the "no sail order" is gonna expire. Let me know what you think, am I way off?

https://www.wesh.com/article/cruises-covid-testing-resume-sailing/34099798

Also what that the heck is with this board and Tapatalk. I mean it's a totally freaking mess and I'm getting more annoyed by the day.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

Well this seems like good news and maybe I'm reading too much into it but this little story to me tells me the lines may indeed be getting ready to start up. Maybe the "no sail order" is gonna expire. Let me know what you think, am I way off?

https://www.wesh.com/article/cruises-covid-testing-resume-sailing/34099798

Also what that the heck is with this board and Tapatalk. I mean it's a totally freaking mess and I'm getting more annoyed by the day.

This board and Tapatalk mirror each other

This board and Tapatalk mirror each other
I know but the messages won't load and I have to log out just to get them to load again. I have to do yours 5-10 times a day just to get the board messages or threads to load.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

I know but the messages won't load and I have to log out just to get them to load again. I have to do yours 5-10 times a day just to get the board messages or threads to load.

Stick with Mobile Web. Much better. I mean why add another level of complexity

1 hour ago, JAMESCC said:

Mobil web? Forgive my ignorance, what's that? Like skip Tapatalk?

CruiseCritic is hosted on a website. They have optimized it to work on cell phones, ie. MOBILEWEB. Tapatalk is an app, that mimics the website.  Really unnecessary in my opinion.

Just my opinion

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

Mobil web? Forgive my ignorance, what's that? Like skip Tapatalk?

You open the actual website for CC and then on your phone or Android device there should be a place usually 3 dots in the Upper right of your device and it will say something like add to the home screen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You open the actual website for CC and then on your phone or Android device there should be a place usually 3 dots in the Upper right of your device and it will say something like add to the home screen.
Ah ok, I'll they that.

On 9/26/2020 at 8:22 AM, bigrednole said:

It is unfortunate the CDC has so much power and so little knowledge. They have failed of epic proportions on this one. No systemic method to collect data. No systemic method to provide the data. No systemic direction for the country. If they would have had a single method for collecting, counting, and divulging the data, the country would have remained open. I hate to say it, but the elderly were the most affected and minorities or people living in the poorest areas. The country never needed to be shutdown just proper protocols in order to be in public. A grocery store or Home Depot are no more essential as a restaurant or bar. If you can crowd those places, you can crowd a restaurant. I now know over 20 people that have had it. The worst of the symptoms was no sense of smell or taste. That's it. So, if you are in the group of 90% of the population that has minimal affects, live your life. Those in the 10% group isolate and remain safe as you see fit.

The data collection is what drives me insane.  Need good data (and testicular fortitude) to make more rational decisions.  

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 5:22 AM, bigrednole said:

It is unfortunate the CDC has so much power and so little knowledge. They have failed of epic proportions on this one. No systemic method to collect data. No systemic method to provide the data. No systemic direction for the country. If they would have had a single method for collecting, counting, and divulging the data, the country would have remained open. I hate to say it, but the elderly were the most affected and minorities or people living in the poorest areas. The country never needed to be shutdown just proper protocols in order to be in public. A grocery store or Home Depot are no more essential as a restaurant or bar. If you can crowd those places, you can crowd a restaurant. I now know over 20 people that have had it. The worst of the symptoms was no sense of smell or taste. That's it. So, if you are in the group of 90% of the population that has minimal affects, live your life. Those in the 10% group isolate and remain safe as you see fit.

6 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

If you are assigning blame, you would be fair if you passed some of it around, especially to the executives of the major lines. Your opening statement describes them perfectly. The only thing they did is sit on their hands and whine, until a few months ago when they named a blue ribbon panel to help them out. And  after a couple of months, and probably hundreds of thousands of dollars, they came up with a plan than looks an very similar to what MSC and the line came up on their own, and it found to be pretty successful.

The major cruise lines should be embarrassed,  their main business is cruising and they chose to sit back, whine, and blame the government. MSC is a very small player, as their main focus is cargo, yet they took the time and spent the money to come up with a workable solution. 

It will be interesting next year when the 2020, year end, earnings, and such, ar revealed. The executive board gets a bonus and alot of it is based off of bases salary. In 2019 most of the got twice their base, as a bonus. You know they won’t go without, even finishing this year with a big loss.

Is there really suspense though? There's no way they allow cruises, not with the way things are and even if they do allow cruises I have a feeling the november cruises are still not happening. I believe even if the CDC and Trump themselves came to RC and begged them tu resume, they would still probably skip november. There's just no way everything is in place to resume!

If the CDC decides to allow cruising this year AND Royal Caribbean resumes on Nov 1 as they said they planned I would be extremly surprised.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kuhne said:

Is there really suspense though? There's no way they allow cruises, not with the way things are and even if they do allow cruises I have a feeling the november cruises are still not happening. I believe even if the CDC and Trump themselves came to RC and begged them tu resume, they would still probably skip november. There's just no way everything is in place to resume!

If the CDC decides to allow cruising this year AND Royal Caribbean resumes on Nov 1 as they said they planned I would be extremly surprised.

I've seen some who think maybe 2 ports out of florida only, trial balloon. Not all. They might be able to put together enough crew for a couple of ships. 

48 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

If you are assigning blame, you would be fair if you passed some of it around, especially to the executives of the major lines. Your opening statement describes them perfectly. The only thing they did is sit on their hands and whine, until a few months ago when they named a blue ribbon panel to help them out. And  after a couple of months, and probably hundreds of thousands of dollars, they came up with a plan than looks an very similar to what MSC and the line came up on their own, and it found to be pretty successful.

The major cruise lines should be embarrassed,  their main business is cruising and they chose to sit back, whine, and blame the government. MSC is a very small player, as their main focus is cargo, yet they took the time and spent the money to come up with a workable solution. 

It will be interesting next year when the 2020, year end, earnings, and such, ar revealed. The executive board gets a bonus and alot of it is based off of bases salary. In 2019 most of the got twice their base, as a bonus. You know they won’t go without, even finishing this year with a big loss.

Besides MSC, let's give credit where due -- In Europe, Costa (Carnival) has resumed operations as well as TUI (50% owned by Royal).  So far just small hiccups on successful sailings.  The recent Mein Schiff covid scare was just that -- a scare -- turned out to be false positives.

42 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've seen some who think maybe 2 ports out of florida only, trial balloon. Not all. They might be able to put together enough crew for a couple of ships. 

This would be my uneducated guess IF there is cruising it will be 2-3 ship between Port Evergaldes and Miami now which ships is anyones guess? midsized ships shorter cruises? Oasis class but shorter cruises? Time will tell!

3 minutes ago, Nemomof3 said:

This would be my uneducated guess IF there is cruising it will be 2-3 ship between Port Evergaldes and Miami now which ships is anyones guess? midsized ships shorter cruises? Oasis class but shorter cruises? Time will tell!

Where would they cruise to?  What nearby island would allow them?