Can’t roam free

cruisinmeme

Remember they would be from the Schengen area, probably too embarrassed to go to media, heard yesterday that the average cruise with MSC has 500 passengers.

It was busy to start with but now it’s dried up. 

October 6th (2020) from CruiseCritic Contributor:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5643/

"While cruise lines are aiming for around 60 to 70 percent of the regular passenger load, both ships at this time are sailing with only about 25 percent. On MSC Grandiosa: 1,200 passengers out of a regular capacity of 4,842, on Costa Deliziosa: 700 out of 2,828."

1,200 (twelve hundred) passengers on MSC Grandiosa.

40 minutes ago, Formula280SS said:

October 6th (2020) from CruiseCritic Contributor:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5643/

"While cruise lines are aiming for around 60 to 70 percent of the regular passenger load, both ships at this time are sailing with only about 25 percent. On MSC Grandiosa: 1,200 passengers out of a regular capacity of 4,842, on Costa Deliziosa: 700 out of 2,828."

1,200 (twelve hundred) passengers on MSC Grandiosa.

I’m in conversation with the head of the technical teams onboard, I’m quoting what he told me from Genoa yesterday.

40 minutes ago, Trimone said:

I’m in conversation with the head of the technical teams onboard, I’m quoting what he told me from Genoa yesterday.

Sure.

Further, IMO it is simply not believable that the average passenger count on cruises on Grandiosa has been 500 passengers.  There are too many videos, blogs and reviews that factually evidence otherwise.

Live From MSC Cruises' MSC Grandiosa: What's it Like Sailing on a Big Ship in the COVID Era?

Grandiosa daily temperature checks

September 18, 2020

Claudia Ceci

Cruise Critic contributor

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5572/

It's time to walk down the gangway and finally get on the ship. I'm excited. Steps that seem new, even if I had already been on Grandiosa. There are about 2,000 passengers on board, on a ship that can accommodate more than 6,000.

Edited by Formula280SS

11 minutes ago, Formula280SS said:

Sure.

Further, IMO it is simply not believable that the average passenger count on cruises on Grandiosa has been 500 passengers.  There are too many videos, blogs and reviews that factually evidence otherwise.

Personally,  I couldn’t careless, I know who I believe.

Perhaps the person meant 500 passengers are embarking at each port?  MSC does list each embarkation port as a separate cruise, there is no way they can embark 1200-2000 passengers at every embarkation port.

Edited by Até

8 minutes ago, Até said:

Perhaps the person meant 500 passengers are embarking at each port?  MSC does list each embarkation port as a separate cruise, there is no way they can embark 1200-2000 passengers at every embarkation port.

Ate, you've had 'great passenger information in another thread a ways back.  You noted the Genoa passenger count per Port documentation, and it was noted other ports on the itinerary were also embarking passengers.  I don't know how to get that data for Genoa for each of cruises; here is what you gave us (with a link, but can't select a different date than yesterday).

111.PNG.dd7bcc8ef15209b243298dc7d5413c96.PNG

Edited by Formula280SS

9 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

Sure.

Live From MSC Cruises' MSC Grandiosa: What's it Like Sailing on a Big Ship in the COVID Era?

Grandiosa daily temperature checks

September 18, 2020

Claudia Ceci

Cruise Critic contributor

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5572/

It's time to walk down the gangway and finally get on the ship. I'm excited. Steps that seem new, even if I had already been on Grandiosa. There are about 2,000 passengers on board, on a ship that can accommodate more than 6,000.

That was a month+ ago.  and I don't consider some CC contributor who makes a claim with no attribution to be "factually evidence". 

I find it very believable.  My suspicion has been that there is a group of people chomping at the bit to get cruising again, those people will initially fill the ships to their new capacities and after a few weeks or so, demand dies down.  

On 10/5/2020 at 1:41 AM, BirdTravels said:

Isn’t this the same as everything else on the cruise. If you want a drink on the ship, you pay their bar prices. If you want a specialty dinner out, you pay their a la crate prices. 

Clearly you do understand keynsain monopolistic behaviour 

On 10/5/2020 at 5:32 PM, ABoatNerd said:

bmwman - we do not have evidence this actually happened. No family ever emerged from this, no one went to the press which is very typical these days for people given their familiarity with social media.

Also possible was MSC issuing this "story" to prop up their plan.

Knowing corporations and the depths they would sink to, don't believe this for a minute.

Agreed about large corps but if it did happen serves them right 

2 hours ago, PATRLR said:

That was a month+ ago.  and I don't consider some CC contributor who makes a claim with no attribution to be "factually evidence". 

I find it very believable.  My suspicion has been that there is a group of people chomping at the bit to get cruising again, those people will initially fill the ships to their new capacities and after a few weeks or so, demand dies down.  

Well, a CC contributor is IMO a pretty good source; plus the videos, blogs, reviews that have been made available.

Versus, "heard from."  Just saying.

The response was re: the "average" of 500 passengers on Grandiosa.  That appears to be false based on the sole reliance on "talked to" references at "only at Genoa" (in which port logs document 1,000+; which makes the "source" off by 2/1) and disregards other itinerary embarkations.

However, I don't doubt demand has or may die down; based on the level of pandemic panic in the passenger source regions.

I also believe that a vaccine, and continued therapeutics success, are essential to significant recovery.

I just won't rely on unsubstantiated and proven false narratives about the cruises to date and the black hole all is gone perspective.

On 10/6/2020 at 9:04 PM, Formula280SS said:

Well, a CC contributor is IMO a pretty good source; plus the videos, blogs, reviews that have been made available.

Versus, "heard from."  Just saying.

The response was re: the "average" of 500 passengers on Grandiosa.  That appears to be false based on the sole reliance on "talked to" references at "only at Genoa" (in which port logs document 1,000+; which makes the "source" off by 2/1) and disregards other itinerary embarkations.

However, I don't doubt demand has or may die down; based on the level of pandemic panic in the passenger source regions.

I also believe that a vaccine, and continued therapeutics success, are essential to significant recovery.

I just won't rely on unsubstantiated and proven false narratives about the cruises to date and the black hole all is gone perspective.

Looks like the 500 passenger average asserted by a 'source in Genoa factually wasn't correct as expected.  Per Pierfrancesco Vago, MSC Cruises’ at G20 summit, the factual passenger count appears closer to 2,000+ per cruise.  👍

Vago urges G20 to embrace rapid testing, common protocols

Anne Kalosh | Oct 07, 2020

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/people-opinions/vago-urges-g20-embrace-rapid-testing-common-protocols

"MSC has carried 16,000 travelers to date, with a second ship to start on a longer itinerary this month."

23 minutes ago, Trimone said:

Ask for Bocchino in technology 

ED919423-116C-4FED-94F8-C18CEBE74363.jpeg

Have sent the contact information and screenshot to Richard Sasso – Chairman, MSC Cruises USA for comment on whether Pierfrancesco Vago – Executive Chairman is incorrectly reporting passenger counts at the G20 Summit. 

They can make contact with the asserted source of conflicting information.

Edited by Formula280SS

36 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

Are you sure? even if its part of the port? 

Pretty sure. Because they have to know your whereabouts at all times. They can't take a chance of someone saying that is where they are going and then they take-off to who knows where. If it was a ships excursion to there where they tracked you entering and leaving, then probably yes.

1 minute ago, zdcatc12 said:

Pretty sure. Because they have to know your whereabouts at all times. They can't take a chance of someone saying that is where they are going and then they take-off to who knows where. If it was a ships excursion to there where they tracked you entering and leaving, then probably yes.

So you cant get off the ship at all unless ship excursion?  i thought you could stay around the port just not go beyond the port area (outside the gates )

Edited by seaman11

3 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

By having ppl outside/by  the gate .  how can the ports make money if no one is allowed off? 

But at those Caribbean ports there are sometimes 2, 5, more (?) ships docked at once. Would each ship have to have staff there to swipe the cards of passengers coming through the gate? Is access to those areas limited to cruise ship passengers? If someone who wasn't on a cruise wanted to enter/exit to shop, would they be barred from doing so? How would they prove they WEREN'T on a cruise and therefor didn't have a card that needed to be swiped?

6 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

But at those Caribbean ports there are sometimes 2, 5, more (?) ships docked at once. Would each ship have to have staff there to swipe the cards of passengers coming through the gate? Is access to those areas limited to cruise ship passengers? If someone who wasn't on a cruise wanted to enter/exit to shop, would they be barred from doing so? How would they prove they WEREN'T on a cruise and therefor didn't have a card that needed to be swiped?

Im talking about the tiny area at the port , duty free shops and some small shops , then there is a gate to go beyond that (out to the rest of the island). they could have a port employee stop cruises from going out.  im not talking about non cruisers coming in and out .  seems odd to me they wont let you go to this small area, but still not a deal breaker for me if so.  . 

Edited by seaman11