Can’t roam free

cruisinmeme

6 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

Im talking about the tiny area at the port , duty free shops and some small shops , then there is a gate to go beyond that (out to the rest of the island). they could have a port employee stop cruises from going out.  im not talking about non cruisers coming in and out .  seems odd to me they wont let you go to this small area . 

You have to realize that things are going to be different for a good while. This is why I still don't believe that this will fly in the US. There are too many people people with an attitude that they don't have to follow the rules. It is going to be a ship shore excursion that under no circumstances are you allowed to leave from or you stay on the ship, period.  Also, wearing a mask on the ship isn't going to go over well on cruises from US ports.

17 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

Im talking about the tiny area at the port , duty free shops and some small shops , then there is a gate to go beyond that (out to the rest of the island). they could have a port employee stop cruises from going out.  im not talking about non cruisers coming in and out .  seems odd to me they wont let you go to this small area, but still not a deal breaker for me if so.  . 

Any specific island you are thinking about? I'm thinking that for example in Nassau it should be possible to walk on the pier if there are no other ships there because it's easy to stop people from leaving the area if they aren't on a ship excursion. I don't understand why anyone should want that but it should be possible!  

Edited by sverigecruiser

47 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

So you cant get off the ship at all unless ship excursion?  i thought you could stay around the port just not go beyond the port area (outside the gates )

Not many ports have a beach and/or stores, etc  inside "gates" in secure port area.😉  !   I see no way around the "ship excursion" policy . 😉🤭 Sorry...

Edited by jaja

1 hour ago, jaja said:

Not many ports have a beach and/or stores, etc  inside "gates" in secure port area.😉  !   I see no way around the "ship excursion" policy . 😉🤭 Sorry...

A lot of ports have tiny shops and a duty free inside the gates, now sure what you mean. 

1 minute ago, seaman11 said:

A lot of ports have tiny shops and a duty free inside the gates, now sure what you mean. 

Not all I believe......plus your original post specified a beach...😉

1 minute ago, jaja said:

Not all I believe......plus your original post specified a beach...😉

well in the caribbean(which i mentioned) a lot  do, 😉 nassau, few ports in mexico, st thomas ect.   anyway we shall see once they start what they allow, , they have to allow their private islands. 

18 hours ago, seaman11 said:

well in the caribbean(which i mentioned) a lot  do, 😉 nassau, few ports in mexico, st thomas ect.   anyway we shall see once they start what they allow, , they have to allow their private islands. 

They don't HAVE to do anything. However, they should allow the islands as you can't really "escape" off of it. That is the whole thing, on an island, they have control of your whereabouts.

Those companies that are dealing with excursions these days are facing some real problems. The thing is that people from major countries are still and will be feeling afraid to go anywhere away from the ship. Nobody wants to get sick in a foreign country and not be allowed back on ship. 

• Like 1

I think you either have a excursion booked and leave with the group.  Otherwise, no leaving the ship at all.  You will probably not be allowed to physically scan your card and leave.  Because once they let you off the ship, anything can happen......at least that's what I think.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Level six said:

I think you either have a excursion booked and leave with the group.  Otherwise, no leaving the ship at all.  You will probably not be allowed to physically scan your card and leave.  Because once they let you off the ship, anything can happen......at least that's what I think.   

100% agree, it's an existing model, it's the only way to stay in control and last but least NCL won't miss the money grab to make ship leavers join an organised excursion.

I’m just amazed at the prices of the tours, anyone with a cruise booking can look, and compare with local companies, you know the same ones NCL and other cruise companies use.

With our cruise they are advertising a hop on hop off bus! How does that work?

Available to book now for £100, locally for £54.68.

I know Cannes very well, having periodically worked there, if you think I’m booking a tour there, and not making my own way around...it’s a deal breaker

15 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

100% agree, it's an existing model, it's the only way to stay in control and last but least NCL won't miss the money grab to make ship leavers join an organised excursion.

I know it isn't NCL, but on the current Costa cruises, they are offering 5 excursions for 99 Euro. Hardly a money grab!!!

17 hours ago, Level six said:

What can happen is that you're denied reboarding (as MSC did) if  you leave the group.

On 10/8/2020 at 4:24 PM, seaman11 said:

But....how about the workers at the tiny shops inside the gates?  They aren't from the ship and you'll be exposed to them....and them to you.

31 minutes ago, zdcatc12 said:

I know it isn't NCL, but on the current Costa cruises, they are offering 5 excursions for 99 Euro. Hardly a money grab!!!

Nor are MSC making a money grab but this is NCL 😂

21 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

But....how about the workers at the tiny shops inside the gates?  They aren't from the ship and you'll be exposed to them....and them to you.

Exactly right and a second ship in port would mean mixing between ships, I believe only supervised excursions off the ship will happen just like MSC.

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Exactly right and a second ship in port would mean mixing between ships, I believe only supervised excursions off the ship will happen just like MSC.

Well, in theory, if everyone on every ship is screened, there shouldn't be a problem with "mixing of the ships' passengers".

I'm one of the minority who really enjoys the day in Nassau.  Being free to roam around the Welcome Center just wouldn't do it for me.

13 minutes ago, zdcatc12 said:

I was giving them the benefit of the doubt!! How is your trial going? Nothing new on mine, plus I can get a flu shot next weekend.

Nothing new here either, still the weekly swab test and diary, I am still a few weeks from the next bloods.

I'm more concerned about what appears to be a second wave taking off in the UK, we saw it happening in the rest of Europe but so far have been unable to stop it here and it's looking more and more like we are past the point of no return.