Can’t roam free

cruisinmeme

11 hours ago, NikiPinkston said:

We're booked for the Pride of America in May and our PCC told us that they really don't know how things will be by then as far as testing, masks, etc.  We plan to have gotten the vaccine by then so, hopefully, they'll have it set up so that we won't have to deal with any of that.  Last time we were on this cruise we took only ship-sponsored shore excursions so we plan to do some independent tours this time.  If that's not possible, we'll reschedule again.  

Same here - PoA in May 😉  We will reschedule if we cannot go off on our own.  We have never taken a ship sponsored excursion and it's a deal breaker. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/28/2020 at 8:53 AM, ziggyuk said:

One family were refused boarding at Naples by MSC after deciding the rules did not apply to them and leaving the excursion "bubble".

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/family-denied-cruise-boarding-coronavirus-msc-naples-italy-a9679536.html

Serves them right - the rules is the rules

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sirenitas said:

Same here - PoA in May 😉  We will reschedule if we cannot go off on our own.  We have never taken a ship sponsored excursion and it's a deal breaker. 

In general, I don't have a problem with ship excursions.  But these excursions are going to be limited....probably to sitting on the bus.  They won't be to areas where "people roam free".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

It's called a monopoly...and you know how those work

Isn’t this the same as everything else on the cruise. If you want a drink on the ship, you pay their bar prices. If you want a specialty dinner out, you pay their a la crate prices. 

2 hours ago, Trimone said:

Sorry there’s monopoly, but nearly double the price is taking the Michael!!!

3B5B198A-506C-4CA3-820E-8DEE9D00FAA0.jpeg

129E15B5-F970-4C71-BCF1-24C6FAA5475A.png

If you have to take a ship's excursion to stay in a bubble, you will not be able to do a HOHO bus.

21 minutes ago, electro said:

If you have to take a ship's excursion to stay in a bubble, you will not be able to do a HOHO bus.

The HOHO bus is available to the public anyway not exclusive to NCL.

NCL are advertising the hop on bus, as a excursion.

18 hours ago, bmwman said:

Serves them right - the rules is the rules

bmwman - we do not have evidence this actually happened. No family ever emerged from this, no one went to the press which is very typical these days for people given their familiarity with social media.

Also possible was MSC issuing this "story" to prop up their plan.

Knowing corporations and the depths they would sink to, don't believe this for a minute.

6 hours ago, electro said:

Yes, that's exactly the point.  How can they be selling HOHO bus excursions and stating that cruise passengers will be able to hop off and on, spending as long as they like at various attractions???  Obviously not given the "can't roam free" issue.  Do I detect yet more false advertising?  How surprising (not).

28 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Yes, that's exactly the point.  How can they be selling HOHO bus excursions and stating that cruise passengers will be able to hop off and on, spending as long as they like at various attractions???  Obviously not given the "can't roam free" issue.  Do I detect yet more false advertising?  How surprising (not).

They have not publish their Covid sail requirements yet, while likely they will follow what others have done it's not published and as they don't even have a sail date yet I don't expect excursions are too high on the priorities right now.

These will probably just be the old excursions they have not worked on yet, I doubt MSC updated their new excursions until the sails were confirmed and they knew what they were doing.

45 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

They have not publish their Covid sail requirements yet, while likely they will follow what others have done it's not published and as they don't even have a sail date yet I don't expect excursions are too high on the priorities right now.

These will probably just be the old excursions they have not worked on yet, I doubt MSC updated their new excursions until the sails were confirmed and they knew what they were doing.

So do you think they will go against the recommendations (74) that the panel of experts said it would take to sail as safely as possible?

That list has been published.

Edited by beerman2

27 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

I see your point, but it still bugs me that they make a practice of advertising things (cruises, excursions) that they must know are not going to be possible.  Since people now must make payment for excursions upon booking this looks like yet another upfront money grab.  Those of us on Cruise Critic are more aware of what the "new norm" is likely to be than the general public, so I feel they are taking advantage of their customers' ignorance.  This sort of duplicity has soured me on NCL more than anything else. Continuing to advertise and take full payments for cruises they know will not sail is just dishonest.   My husband and I were discussing it today and feel that we will be sailing Celebrity, Royal and Princess (maybe even HAL) in the future.  We liked almost all the cruises we have been on with all different lines but would prefer not to deal with NCL going forward. 

14 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

bmwman - we do not have evidence this actually happened. No family ever emerged from this, no one went to the press which is very typical these days for people given their familiarity with social media.

Also possible was MSC issuing this "story" to prop up their plan.

Knowing corporations and the depths they would sink to, don't believe this for a minute.

Not everyone runs to the press and says “look at me, I am stupid and got kicked off a ship”. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Not everyone runs to the press and says “look at me, I am stupid and got kicked off a ship”. 

Quite right, hopefully they learnt from their stupid actions and they probably have more self respect than running to the press.