Can’t roam free

cruisinmeme

30 minutes ago, thistimeplease said:

I agree.  I can't imagine going to Bermuda for 3 days and not being able to roam the island on our own.  Would definitely be a deal breaker for us.

Yeah for sure.  Definitely wouldn't be interested in Bermuda if I couldn't explore on my own.   

This is my deal breaker for sure.

Another thing...what kind of excursions would they offer?  Certainly not those that go "where other people are" such as shopping, museums, cable cars, tourist attractions.

I picture sitting on the bus and looking out.  Even for free, I wouldn't do one of these.

6 hours ago, shof515 said:

8 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

Just as important the other way. Nobody wants a newly infected “wanderer”  back on the ship either.   And spreading it to unsuspecting passengers and crew 

And, the cruise lines can have some level of “control” over what their passengers may be exposed to. For example, tour vendors may be required to temp check their employees daily and maybe periodically COVID test them. And have some level of cleaning of tour vehicles. Most resorts do that now. 

Verses Good ‘ole Joe with a beat up car, vented mask, and a glossy sign hustling island tours at the port. 

Edited by BirdTravels

20 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

Read an article on the carnival site (addressed to all cruise lines) that cruisers would not be allowed to roam free In ports. Also would have to do ship sponsored excursions. Well so much for the ship being empty on port days.  Also this may make or break people wanting to cruise.

Another reason to buy the booze package. stay by the pool bar and enjoy the drinks. Every day!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

Yeah for sure.  Definitely wouldn't be interested in Bermuda if I couldn't explore on my own.   

That is a bummer! I've always wanted to go there. I don't think a cruise ship could even go there now. I just looked at the US Consulate information and Bermuda requires proof of a negative COVID-19 test for all visitors, PLUS you have to be tested when you get there and be quarantined until the results are in. That simply wouldn't be feasible for cruise passengers. This is from the US Consulate's webpage for Bermuda:

Upon Arrival — Upon arrival, travelers must:

• Visitors must present a copy of the pre-departure PCR COVID-19 negative test result to health officers on request and a copy of the Travel Authorization form.
  • Travelers arriving at the airport will undergo a mandatory non-contact temperature check.
  • Residents and visitors will undergo PCR COVID-19 testing at the L.F. Wade International Airport and quarantine at home or in their room at their accommodation until results are ready (turnaround time is approximately 24 hours in most cases, though results may take longer depending on arrival time). This applies to adults and children ages 10 and up. Children less than 10 years old are exempt from the PCR COVID-19 test.

3 hours ago, deliver42 said:

I think all the cruise lines will follow what MSC is doing successfully in Europe. They have completed 6 cruises and are doing the 7th with no cases, be it the crew or passengers.

I also agree and this will run for a trial of data.   Other cruises are going to do the same thing,  and it will be only short cruises operating,  as they will want to move people on and off ships.    If they require the prior negative testing,   it isn't going to work for back to back guests perhaps?    Unless testing is available on the ship-  and it likely will be self pay?      There shouldn't be any "exception",  because they are b2b.    They could be newly infected when they first boarded.

We've cruised multiple times and only done one excursion through NCL (Jost Van Dyke x2).

While I understand the reasons and even support the idea of them in theory, it would be a deal breaker for me. We like to explore on our own or just find a beach to relax and relish coming and going as we please. Technically, I would be fine with relaxing on the ship and not getting off until I remember that I get sea sick and am usually slightly to moderately miserable the first few days on the ship.

If I am willing to get on a plane to fly to a cruise port, I can fly somewhere else warm where I can relax for the week without getting sea sick. 😀

• Like 1

I don't see how they can "control" who the excursion takers are exposed to. 

Yes, the bus driver and guide probably will be tested.  But there are so many activities that they cannot control.  

Restaurants(will it be closed to the public for the whole day), museums, trains, cultural experiences (farm visits, etc)

I just don't see how it can even come close to controlling the environment except as someone mentioned above.....riding a bus, looking out the window. 

Never, ever, ever would I go on a cruise like this.  

On 9/28/2020 at 4:01 PM, BirdTravels said:

And, the cruise lines can have some level of “control” over what their passengers may be exposed to. For example, tour vendors may be required to temp check their employees daily and maybe periodically COVID test them. And have some level of cleaning of tour vehicles. Most resorts do that now. 

Verses Good ‘ole Joe with a beat up car, vented mask, and a glossy sign hustling island tours at the port. 

Please just stop!! There are many many totally organized tour operators that come with rave reviews, just check out trip advisor.

• Like 1

I totally understand if this becomes NCL policy. I've been to Caribbean too many times, so a very short cruise where I stay on ship I could deal. Now Europe, absolute deal breaker for me. I'll be watching closely to see if I should cancel my trans Atlantic next April

We'll try the concept operated by MSC in the med. It's just a week, not far away, fair price. Just to try MSC and their way to manage it. Would be great if NCL announces something similar, just to see something is going on....

1 hour ago, njkate said:

I totally understand if this becomes NCL policy. I've been to Caribbean too many times, so a very short cruise where I stay on ship I could deal. Now Europe, absolute deal breaker for me. I'll be watching closely to see if I should cancel my trans Atlantic next April

Yes, as you point out, the destination/ports are going to be the deciding factor for most and another key factor would be how many times you've been to that part of the world already.  If you go on cruises to relax you are much more likely to be fine with staying on the ship or doing ship's excursions.  If seeing the ports is a high priority then this new rule is probably a deal breaker.

Greetings from South Beach. I am a recent widow who will be cruising with my sister. When my husband and I traveled together, we only took ship's tours when there was no other option, as on a Ocean Pearl China cruise in 1992. It is understandable why the rules have changed now. The stories about people trapped in staterooms for weeks on ships with covid victims was the stuff of nightmares.

All this has been extremely hard on the cruise industry,  and the people who work in it. A cruise ship is a small town floating on water. Keeping it happy takes the same kind of support the landlocked get. All those workers and suppliers were also blindsided, and some won't recover.

We understand that our  February 7th Bliss cruise will be different. Since NCL has announced that we will have a dockside covid test, and our  temperatures taken, no one with the disease will be aboard. I assume the excursions will only visit covid free sites. The goal is healthy on, healthy off. Our next cruise is on the Jewel in November 2021. Hopefully, things will be closer to normal by then.

Mary

• Like 2

23 hours ago, warburg said:

We understand that our  February 7th Bliss cruise will be different. Since NCL has announced that we will have a dockside covid test, and our  temperatures taken, no one with the disease will be aboard. I assume the excursions will only visit covid free sites. The goal is healthy on, healthy off. Our next cruise is on the Jewel in November 2021. Hopefully, things will be closer to normal by then.

Can you provide a link to “NCL has announced that we will have dockside COVID test”? We have an upcoming cruise and did not get that notification. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Can you provide a link to “NCL has announced that we will have dockside COVID test”? We have an upcoming cruise and did not get that notification. 

We're booked for the Pride of America in May and our PCC told us that they really don't know how things will be by then as far as testing, masks, etc.  We plan to have gotten the vaccine by then so, hopefully, they'll have it set up so that we won't have to deal with any of that.  Last time we were on this cruise we took only ship-sponsored shore excursions so we plan to do some independent tours this time.  If that's not possible, we'll reschedule again.  

• Like 1