Yet another cruising news special to air

Titanic, Costa Concordia, Diane Brimble, cruise pollution, overcrowding at cruise ports (junea, alaska), cruise ships taking all the money from port visits, cruise accidents, crime on board, cruise ships being lawless, noro and finally covid.  What a cheerful program (not) 

Edited by aussielozzie18

Second hour was about the covid impact. Just finished, I think it was a a fair doco and watchable. Pretty intense, wide ranging and informative.  I dont suppose the cruise and travel industry will appreciate it. 

Many experienced and potential cruisers who watched the doco will think twice before booking a cruise and as to whether they can trust and have faith in the industry.

Those are my thoughts anyway.

I agree. I think if a prospective first time cruiser watched it they would be definitely be turned off cruising. 

It was alarming the reported amount of serious crime which occurs on board goes un-investigated properly.....

But it finished on a positive note with past passengers, including one passenger who had contracted covid-19 on board, saying they would definitely cruise again. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Second hour was about the covid impact. Just finished, I think it was a a fair doco and watchable. Pretty intense, wide ranging and informative.  I dont suppose the cruise and travel industry will appreciate it. 

Many experienced and potential cruisers who watched the doco will think twice before booking a cruise and as to whether they can trust and have faith in the industry.

Those are my thoughts anyway.

I agree.  They certainly covered all the known negatives of the cruise industry which i wont detail as my comment was blocked. Anyone new to cruising and on the the fence about cruising after the pandemic is unlikely to book given the info detailed in this program.  

1 minute ago, Fletch1 said:

I agree. I think if a prospective first time cruiser watched it they would be definitely be turned off cruising. 

It was alarming the reported amount of serious crime which occurs on board goes un-investigated properly.....

But it finished on a positive note with past passengers, including one passenger who had contracted covid-19 on board, saying they would definitely cruise again. 

Yes, as a solo female cruiser it wasnt very comforting to hear about the lack of support and accountability after a crime has been committed.

So there was nothing new presented in any of the “what the cruise lines are too afraid to tell you” that we didn’t already know about.   The Titanic, the Morro Castle, the Andrea Doria, the Costa Concordia, Carnival Corporation being repeatedly fined in the USA for discharging pollutants, over tourism, norovirus, the various crimes happening on ships where, under flags of convenience, little can be done by any local authorities and of course the deadly consequences of the COVID outbreaks.  

All of the issues highlighted are a daily occurrence in Australia and the world i.e. accidents, negligence, corporations polluting the environment, over tourism, norovirus, justice not being seen to be served, millions being infected and thousands dying of COVID.

In the end individuals, families, corporations, governments, air, land and sea travellers will all have to adjust to the ‘new COVID normal’.

• Like 2

I am a little bit peeved. The ads showed footage of the ship scrapyards and none of that was shown in the doco😬. Talk about false advertising. Overall wasn't too bad, it covered issues that probably need discusing and it does sound as if Juneau is getting a bad deal, but I think you also need to the government to push for better. They did neglect to mention any information about the Ruby Princess inquiries. It basically skimmed issues and I prefer something a little more in depth so I am looking forward to SBS as that one is more focused on one incident so it should more detailed.

All the same old stuff.
Not so bad but the Ruby Princess info was WRONG! Still! And calling it Australia’s biggest Covid Cluster? I’m sure the Hotel Quarantine in Vic now has that title?

Again, Princess seems to wear the most criticism - are they the cruise giant, the tall poppy, the one with numbers so easily profiled and knocked about? 
Agree with IMSYDNEYAUS - cruises reflect life in general. Put humans together you get crime, illness, anger, happiness, sadness, death - life ......

Breezed over the fact that MSC has returned to cruising now for over 6 weeks without a single case of Covid occurring - oh no 😳 that wouldn’t be News!!
We all have a choice - do we choose to cruise again?
Hell yes 😆👍🤩

Edited by Porky55

3 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I am a little bit peeved. The ads showed footage of the ship scrapyards and none of that was shown in the doco😬. Talk about false advertising. Overall wasn't too bad, it covered issues that probably need discusing and it does sound as if Juneau is getting a bad deal, but I think you also need to the government to push for better. They did neglect to mention any information about the Ruby Princess inquiries. It basically skimmed issues and I prefer something a little more in depth so I am looking forward to SBS as that one is more focused on one incident so it should more detailed.

When and what is this one?

Watched a bit of the stuff with COVID-19. I think they pointed out about five incidents of COVID-19 on ships without saying that there are roughly 300 cruise ships in operation. 

I saw they had the Shine lawyer on still spouting the BS that there were people on the previous Ruby cruise with COVID-19 symptoms. I wonder how successful this class action will be, when they have a major flaw in their argument. I suppose they don't want to lose face now and say their case isn't that strong after the Inquiry was released proving that that allegation was false.

I just watched it.  I think experienced cruisers will take it with a grain of salt.  It hasn't changed my mind about wanting to cruise as long as borders (and ports of call) won't get slammed shut on me.  But it will definitely build anti-cruise public sentiment amongst the general population.  Less than 3 weeks to QLD election, gotta keep up the scare-mongering! 🙄

I watched the Channel 7 special. As expected, it was very selective reporting. They made a big issue about the girl who was raped on a cruise ship. Terrible, but this happens on land also. The girl's mother said she met al young man and went back to his cabin with him. I am not implying that it was OK what he did, but I have to ask "What was she thinking?"

Then they had an interview with Mark Brimble whose former wife died on the Pacific Sky in 2002. They did not mention that she willingly went to the cabin (shared by four men) at 1.30am. There was testimony at the inquest that she willingly took the drug.  Her doctor's testimony did not paint her in a good light. Undoubtedly, the men treated her very badly and did not call for medical assistance when she became unconscious. It was revealed at the inquest that P&O paid the Brimble family AUD$2 million in an ex gratia payment. Of course, no amount of money can make up for the loss of a loved one.

There was a segment about noro. We have had it once - at a resort at Great Keppel Island. Noro occurs in environments where people live in close proximity - nursing homes, schools. My daughter's family all had noro last week. The first to show symptoms was their kindergarten-age daughter. (No other members of the family where going away from home in the relevant time.)

COVID - We have probably all been following this all year. As someone said, the Victorian outbreak outstrips the Ruby Princess one. I feel that the outbreaks on cruise ships are similar to those in nursing homes because people are living in close quarters. The main difference is the number of people who can be affected once there is an infection.

7 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Breezed over the fact that MSC has returned to cruising now for over 6 weeks without a single case of Covid occurring - oh no 😳 that wouldn’t be News!!

And Dream cruises have operated for over 10 weeks...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I watched the Channel 7 special. As expected, it was very selective reporting. They made a big issue about the girl who was raped on a cruise ship. Terrible, but this happens on land also. The girl's mother said she met al young man and went back to his cabin with him. I am not implying that it was OK what he did, but I have to ask "What was she thinking?"

I think the bigger issue is that the security tapes were erased, evidence tampered with and the rape kit lost. That is not good no matter how anyone tries to frame it. These crimes happen on land but the discrepency is in how they are treated and it is an issue which is right to highlight as it does seem to be a problem that hasn't been addressed properly and if ships want to get bigger than something really needs to be done about law and order. As for the girl's decision, anyone is capable of making a bad judgement call but I don't believe it should be relevent to the act of the crime itself. One shouldn't get a lighter punishment just because of the decision by the victim and the fact people feel the need to always bring that up shows how little we have moved away from victim blaming😔.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Then they had an interview with Mark Brimble whose former wife died on the Pacific Sky in 2002. They did not mention that she willingly went to the cabin (shared by four men) at 1.30am. There was testimony at the inquest that she willingly took the drug.  Her doctor's testimony did not paint her in a good light. Undoubtedly, the men treated her very badly and did not call for medical assistance when she became unconscious. It was revealed at the inquest that P&O paid the Brimble family AUD$2 million in an ex gratia payment. Of course, no amount of money can make up for the loss of a loved one.

Personally I don't think Brimble's character is relevent. A crime was commited either way and the issue is how the crime was dealt with not whether the victim is considered a good enough victim.

7 hours ago, christodan said:

I saw they had the Shine lawyer on still spouting the BS that there were people on the previous Ruby cruise with COVID-19 symptoms. I wonder how successful this class action will be, when they have a major flaw in their argument. I suppose they don't want to lose face now and say their case isn't that strong after the Inquiry was released proving that that allegation was false.

Some  possibly hopeful precedent for the claimants here, in view  the successful Scenic River Cruises case - based on the breach of consumer law - although it will no doubt take a few years to get any money - Scenic went all the way to the High Court.

43 minutes ago, Cyrix400 said:

Some  possibly hopeful precedent for the claimants here, in view  the successful Scenic River Cruises case - based on the breach of consumer law - although it will no doubt take a few years to get any money - Scenic went all the way to the High Court.

With the Scenic River cruise case (from what I understand), the plaintiffs succeeded in their claim that the company 'sold' them a river cruise, but could not provide it. They had a bus trip instead.

I don't know how Princess Cruises breached consumer law.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

With the Scenic River cruise case (from what I understand), the plaintiffs succeeded in their claim that the company 'sold' them a river cruise, but could not provide it. They had a bus trip instead.

I don't know how Princess Cruises breached consumer law.

It has been proven already with the Royal Commission that while Princess did not do everything they could have, they did everything they had to, there were no laws broken,. The only possible claim against them is a duty of care.