Cruise ships being scrapped

skynight

4 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Oceania is a great cruise line, but it is a much more expensive cruise line... 

Hey thanks for the response!! I don't mean to sound personal but how much more expensive ?? Should I just start looking at Oceania sailings and do the math? Heard nothing but WONDERFUL reviews about this line. I have a genuine interest in Oceania I'm just not sure I'll be able to pull off the math if ya know what I mean. Thank you very much for your response and help Todd

On 10/14/2020 at 12:34 PM, TTEllis said:

Those Fantasy Class Carnival Ships we've all done back in the day, including the Carnival Fantasy itself needed scrapped. Great decisions by Carnival. They have a few I think they call them Vista Class ships they can toss those too. 

Princess has the Sun class ships, every ship Princess has that's not Grand Class or Royal Class needs to be turned into an artificial reef somewhere on the bottom of ocean.😉 Later Todd

They are lightening the fleet ..... following here

On 10/15/2020 at 6:34 PM, TTEllis said:

...I don't mean to sound personal but how much more expensive ?? Should I just start looking at Oceania sailings and do the math? Heard nothing but WONDERFUL reviews about this line. I have a genuine interest in Oceania I'm just not sure I'll be able to pull off the math if ya know what I mean. Thank you very much for your response and help Todd

Todd, you posted earlier that that anything smaller than Grand class should become an artificial reef.  The biggest ship for Oceania is 1250 passengers and half their ships are R-class, same as the Pacific Princess. FWIW...

Costwise, you've got to look at what you would purchase through Princess, compared to what is included on Oceania. So only you can do that. For us, it comes out to be acceptably close on the bottom line compared to Princess, going down a cabin class or two. We are Elite with Princess though because they've continued to provide value and in those times when things went awry, which happens on vacation, they've done the right thing. But I wish they'd stay with mid-sized ships and give up on the Medallion.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Todd, you posted earlier that that anything smaller than Grand class should become an artificial reef.  The biggest ship for Oceania is 1250 passengers and half their ships are R-class, same as the Pacific Princess. FWIW...

Costwise, you've got to look at what you would purchase through Princess, compared to what is included on Oceania. So only you can do that. For us, it comes out to be acceptably close on the bottom line compared to Princess, going down a cabin class or two. We are Elite with Princess though because they've continued to provide value and in those times when things went awry, which happens on vacation, they've done the right thing. But I wish they'd stay with mid-sized ships and give up on the Medallion.

I'm Elite with Princess finally, great value, excellent perks and best customer loyalty program ever that's why I keep cruising with them. With that being said Oceania sounds AWESOME. 

Princess, GREAT upgrades too I always book a guarantee cabin Princess hooks me up with a NICE balcony everytime, Princess has never failed me, YOU know what I'm talking about. 

I was on one of the first sailings with the Medallion on the Caribbean Princess, I don't mean to sound a little light but other than opening my cabin about 10 feet away, I couldn't figure the damn thing out. 😊 It's not that funny wish I had taken a little more time to understand the idea behind it but it slipped by me.😉 

Have you had lunch or dinner for that matter in the World Fresh Marketplace?? If so what did you think of it as opposed to the Horizon Court?? Personally I thought it was a wonderful improvement but I'll eat absolutely anything. I walked back there the day we embarked I thought I hit the lottery. Food Heaven. Thanks for the help and great talking to someone else who's Elite.😁😎😉

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 1:19 PM, TTEllis said:

The Island and the Coral weren't those built to be able to pass through the canal? Well hopefully they won't scrap those in the event they do we'll miss you,

I think they might retain Island and Coral as they can pass through the panama canal  locks as they were specifically designed to be Panamax ships.  However we should bear in mind that now larger locks have been built alongside the originals larger ships such as the Grand Class can go through the Post-Panamax locks.  I believe the current problem seems to be height above the waterline as the Bridge of the Americas seems to be the new limiting factor.

Regards John

41 minutes ago, john watson said:

I think they might retain Island and Coral as they can pass through the panama canal  locks as they were specifically designed to be Panamax ships.  However we should bear in mind that now larger locks have been built alongside the originals larger ships such as the Grand Class can go through the Post-Panamax locks.  I believe the current problem seems to be height above the waterline as the Bridge of the Americas seems to be the new limiting factor.

Regards John

They're definitely going to retain the Island and the Coral. Those are awesome ships, never been on either, our CC group did the full transit Panama canal on the Coral in 2011 from LA to FLL,(  I went back and did the Southern Explorer on the Emerald in 2011, did it in 2008 sick with 900 others on the ship and wanted to do it over again because I really didn't get to do something's I wanted. 

All I heard about was how nice the Coral Princess was. I'll have to put those two buggy's on the radar too. 

Btw the Grand Princess which of course is the first Grand Class Ship(scrap or expensive reef) don't have really anything positive to say about the ship or the crew. That was 8 years ago, I'm not sure it's productive to hire a crew from any war torn country. Our crew in 2012 on the Grand was mostly Ukrainian not only could you tell it, they sucked from start to finish. Real losers. Never again, hope they sink it 25,000 feet of water.😉