Any updates on excursion only shore-leave?

Oulton Jim

- I ask because the only word I seem to see is that the excursions will be exclusive to those organised onboard the ship. I wonder if part of the delay in sailing gives time for CLIA/whoever  to hand out some kind of dispensation for accredited land-based tour companies [such as those established in St Petersburg] to carry on with tours taken from incoming cruise ships. The best solution for many regular cruisers would be to allow individual explorations, I would still venture to suggest.

Are you asking about the small number of cruise lines that have started up? Check on their boards for their policies, but cruise line only excursions seems to be the rule of the day. 

If you are asking about cruise line sthat haven't started up...the vast majority...no one knows what they are planning on doing. They haven't announced anything yet.

I think you are asking about arrangements between cruise lines and vendors for tours. It seems likely the cruise lines will seek strict policies from the venders about mask wearing and other protective measures, including shrinking the groups, and going places where safety can be better monitored and enforced.

I don't think people understand how ship excursions work. All of the cruise lines already contract with local tour companies.  They just sell and manage them under the cruise line's name. Princess, Carnival,  RCL, HAL, etc do not run tours. It's all contracted out.

These potential new restrictions would mean passengers could only use the local tour operators that have contracted with the cruise lines and sold under the cruise line's banner.

Until Covid is a distant memory  expect any ship sailing to have pax do ships tours 

if it is not for you then do not cruise

Ports do not want pax wandering around willy nilly until they can be sure there is no one to spread COVID

JMO

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Until Covid is a distant memory  expect any ship sailing to have pax do ships tours 

if it is not for you then do not cruise

Ports do not want pax wandering around willy nilly until they can be sure there is no one to spread COVID

JMO

Hmmm.  Funny thing is that countries seem to be opening up to land tourism (where folks are welcomed to "wander around willy nilly" long before they are opening up to cruise ships.  I guess those that arrive via land have some kind of magic bubble that protects the masses from their COVID.

The reality seem to be that most of the world will open up to tourism via land/air long before they open up to ships.  Consider here in the USA where 333 million souls are free to wander "will nilly" around most of the States (Hawaii is a big exception) with nobody insisting they take organized cruise line excursions.  However none of those 333 million can get on a cruise ship going or coming to a USA port.  And then you have islands such as Aruba that allow anyone to fly-in and spend a few days/weeks moving around "willy nilly" whereas they will not currently allow any cruise ships to dock at their island.  Go figure.  Of course nobody would ever accuse the cruise lines of promoting the idea of "cruise excursions" because it is profitable to the cruise lines.

Hank

• Like 5

If it does turn out that one is captive to those tours only organised via the ship I among many will seriously think of cancelling our two tours. I hope that commonsense will prevail and some wider accommodation will be granted to a number of independent yet highly recommended tour operators. The one we used most recently in St Petersburg was second of over seven hundred companies. We were in an air-conditioned Mercedes with an English speaking guide -all paperwork including visas was in our hands before we left England and we were met just outside the port with no hitches. The two day tour was half the price of the ships tour - best part was that we were 11 and not a coach load.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Hmmm.  Funny thing is that countries seem to be opening up to land tourism (where folks are welcomed to "wander around willy nilly" long before they are opening up to cruise ships.  I guess those that arrive via land have some kind of magic bubble that protects the masses from their COVID.

I have not really seen a lot of countries opening up to land tourism, other than within certain pre-determined borders by agreement. Australia has hinted they may not open their borders to tourists until late 2021. Certainly few countries are welcoming US citizens. I initially assumed I'd be able to go back to Europe well prior to taking another cruise -- but now I'm not so sure.

I personally do not have a lot of faith in the idea of a cruise ship "bubble", especially when I hear how it is being implemented on some lines even now. I can't imagine how it will work when there are a shipload full of Americans, all of whom insist that no one can tell them what to do...

However, I do understand that the ships want to resume cruising and I can only assume that they believe this is one way they can help reassure both passengers who want to cruise and ports that they are making efforts to avoid mass spread between passengers and residents. I don't see how the line could start granting exemptions to the fact that the tour has to be sponsored by the ship, otherwise the ship does not have full say in how the tours are run.

Suffice to say the idea of cruising under such restrictions does not appeal to me, but I also don't think they can grant exemptions to it and still get buy-in. The simple solution is to wait until these restrictions are no longer required before cruising again, if one can't live with them. That's what I plan to do.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Oulton Jim said:

If it does turn out that one is captive to those tours only organised via the ship I among many will seriously think of cancelling our two tours. I hope that commonsense will prevail and some wider accommodation will be granted to a number of independent yet highly recommended tour operators. The one we used most recently in St Petersburg was second of over seven hundred companies. We were in an air-conditioned Mercedes with an English speaking guide -all paperwork including visas was in our hands before we left England and we were met just outside the port with no hitches. The two day tour was half the price of the ships tour - best part was that we were 11 and not a coach load.  

Same with us in St. Petersburg except there were 10 not 11 in our air conditioned Mercedes van. That also gave you a nice chance to meet and get to know those other people. We actually did all the other ports in that cruise on our own easily except Gdansk. Since our ship ported in Gdynia, we took the ship's tour to get to Gdansk. One of things I remember about it was that the cruise line said it could not promise the bus would be air conditioned; and it was not. Oh, and I remember someone who took the cruise line's tour saying their bus' air conditioning broke down in St. Petersburg (and it was 87 degrees our second day there).

And anyone who thinks the cruise lines won't jack up the prices to help make up for lost revenue when they have this monopoly is being very naïve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

But they are not allowing cruise ship pax to wander  around 

Maybe  small groups like a family  & not from the USA  are allowed

Yes Americans seem to be allowed to travel all over the US without  a problem  just look at the new cases  there

Is it beyond the wit/scope of an ombudsman-type of body to assess and grant permissions to other long established tour companies port by port? Lord knows there has been enough opportunity to get this up and running. If I can see that a company has operated for some ten years-plus with a record of over 95% recommendations just on the tap of a google search [tripadvisor]-then surely an independent body could be checking on such operators and giving passengers [hate the term pax!!] an opportunity to book a smaller grouping for up to half the price of a ship tour.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Oulton Jim said:

Is it beyond the wit/scope of an ombudsman-type of body to assess and grant permissions to other long established tour companies port by port? Lord knows there has been enough opportunity to get this up and running. If I can see that a company has operated for some ten years-plus with a record of over 95% recommendations just on the tap of a google search [tripadvisor]-then surely an independent body could be checking on such operators and giving passengers [hate the term pax!!] an opportunity to book a smaller grouping for up to half the price of a ship tour.  

Do you think once established and a guaranteed money maker with their markup that they will ever willingly give up this policy?

15 minutes ago, Oulton Jim said:

The ship only excursions I have looked at are all reduced in numbers of people allowed on each tour due to COVID.

Think of the converse, of allowing cruisers to roam independently.  Locals risk higher rates of transmission and infection, as well as everyone on board the ship. How would you feel if another cruiser brought an infection back to the ship, perhaps someone you'll meet and talk to, or cause everyone on the ship to quarantine??

Wishing for the past "normal" way of doing things is understandable.  However, the virus is in charge, not our wishes.

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Oulton Jim said:

What benefit would there be for the cruise line to do this?

They are already presumably going to have to hire additional staff to manage post-COVID requirements like fully staffed buffet lines, additional medical personnel, possibly additional staff for the extra cleaning that will be necessary. Plus they will be sailing with a reduced passenger load. All of this will cut into profits and I'm sure they don't want to see additional money walk out the door.

The second part of the equation is risk. How are they going to insure that every cruiser is booking trips only with "vetted" providers?  Are they going to examine everyone's tickets/emails at every embarkation against a group of vetted tours?  How do they know people will be honest?  It seems to me that if even one group on one cruise comes down with COVID, the ship's protocols will be blamed, even if the exposure happened on a private tour. Why would they want to risk that at start-up?

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Suffice to say the idea of cruising under such restrictions does not appeal to me, but I also don't think they can grant exemptions to it and still get buy-in. The simple solution is to wait until these restrictions are no longer required before cruising again, if one can't live with them. That's what I plan to do.

As do I. Your post made terrific point and I agree with them.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I can't imagine how it will work when there are a shipload full of Americans, all of whom insist that no one can tell them what to do...

And this!

In summary then it is this.....buy our inflatedly priced tours or stay aboard and pay for the ship's facilities/drinks [the classic win-win situation]? And then what happens when the world begins to spread the vaccines does this exclusivity carry forward? How about the cruisers like myself/my wife who go on a cruise to get off and explore the cathedrals/museums in the non-touristy areas? Are we now to be excluded, which I guess is the logical conclusion. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Oulton Jim said:

In summary then it is this.....buy our inflatedly priced tours or stay aboard and pay for the ship's facilities/drinks [the classic win-win situation]? And then what happens when the world begins to spread the vaccines does this exclusivity carry forward? How about the cruisers like myself/my wife who go on a cruise to get off and explore the cathedrals/museums in the non-touristy areas? Are we now to be excluded, which I guess is the logical conclusion. 

Only time will tell whether ships will drop this policy eventually. I think they will -- or I should say that I HOPE they will. 

I am like you -- haven't taken a cruise tour in many years now except when traveling with Voyages to Antiquity. You're not the only one to feel this way.  I don't like it either -- but I can understand their position at the outset.

Suffice to say the idea of cruising under such restrictions does not appeal to me, but I also don't think they can grant exemptions to it and still get buy-in. The simple solution is to wait until these restrictions are no longer required before cruising again, if one can't live with them. That's what I plan to do.]  

Comforting perhaps - perhaps not if both are already in mid-70's. 

• Like 1

As The Framework has been released on recommendations to begin widescale cruising I wrote to my cruise provider concerning port visits, here is the reply:-

At the moment we too are eagerly awaiting further details of what the process will be for shore excursions and regarding pre booking or doing your own.

Most cruise lines are currently working with port authorities to decide on the safest option whilst still maximizing your time ashore.

Once cruise lines have further details and issue more information, You will be made aware.

Edited by Oulton Jim

3 hours ago, Oulton Jim said:

As The Framework has been released on recommendations to begin widescale cruising I wrote to my cruise provider concerning port visits, here is the reply:-

At the moment we too are eagerly awaiting further details of what the process will be for shore excursions and regarding pre booking or doing your own.

Most cruise lines are currently working with port authorities to decide on the safest option whilst still maximizing your time ashore.

Once cruise lines have further details and issue more information, You will be made aware.

No real surprise there. They are unlikely to advertise in advance something that will be unpopular with a certain number of passengers-to-be.

They want you to go ahead and put down your deposit -- by the time you find out all the requirements you are already monetarily (in the case of UK cruisers) or mentally committed to taking it.

Re all the references to overpriced tours:  All of the "live from..." posts I've read (many) mention that the prices are very low.  Three excursions for 100 euros, five for 100 euros.  Did you ever see an excursion here priced that low?  And they are being done with small groups.

6 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Re all the references to overpriced tours:  All of the "live from..." posts I've read (many) mention that the prices are very low.  Three excursions for 100 euros, five for 100 euros.  Did you ever see an excursion here priced that low?  And they are being done with small groups.

For me it's not the cost of the tours. I'll pay more for a good private tour than for a ship tour at times.

Ship tours tend to be short, have forced shopping stops, and often do not offer what I am interested in seeing (e.g., it's not my first time at the rodeo, I've "seen" the Colosseum and the Sistine chapel and the Gaudi cathedral -- several times).