weight scale on cruise

Rdtyler

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I weigh myself every day when I am  on a cruise too .

I weigh myself daily on a cruise compared to maybe once/twice per week at home.   On a cruise I have more time to use the gym equipment.  And of course, I am eating more.  Eating more and significantly more exercise.   I weigh each morning before hitting the gym because I like to track what is happening.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I weigh myself daily on a cruise compared to maybe once/twice per week at home.   On a cruise I have more time to use the gym equipment.  And of course, I am eating more.  Eating more and significantly more exercise.   I weigh each morning before hitting the gym because I like to track what is happening.   

When I was physically able I would be at the gym on a ship at 7AM and would go to breakfast 8 AM .I would never eat too much and do as much physical exercise as possible on the ship or off.The only time I would possibly overeat was if there was good pizza,ice cream and oat bran muffins,but never at the same time.

5 minutes ago, jtwind said:

I thought there was going to be something here about having an extra dining and fuel surcharge imposed on people based on how much they weigh.

You mean like an excess baggage charge!  😄

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

When I was physically able I would be at the gym on a ship at 7AM and would go to breakfast 8 AM .I would never eat too much and do as much physical exercise as possible on the ship or off.The only time I would possibly overeat was if there was good pizza,ice cream and oat bran muffins,but never at the same time.

". . pizza,ice cream and oat bran muffins,but never at the same time. . "

I could eat pizza and ice cream side-by-side.  But bran muffins just won't fly with either.   Haha. 

Do you ever "hollow out" a bagel?  I sometimes do that when I have a bagel, but don't have them very often.   

On 10/23/2020 at 5:49 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I never have a problem with a scale as I have not been overweight since 1968.

12 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I weigh myself every day when I am  on a cruise too .

If you don’t have a weight problem then what to do you get out of weighing yourself daily? Just to give yourself a pat on the back?

13 hours ago, Rdtyler said:

Sorry, navybankerteacher, but you're wrong.  My diet consultant advised on weighing every day, and so far I've lost 70 pounds.  There's nothing wrong with wanting to be aware of your weight while on a cruise.  

congratulations on your weight loss and do what you need to do to feel confident cruising. But I wouldn’t get too worried or change your behaviors if your weight jumps up a bit. As someone else mentioned, it’s pretty normal for people to eat more salt on the cruise than they would at home and retain water weight.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Anyone who wants to weigh himself daily is a hopeless obsessive - what possible good does it do?  Any diet consultant advises against daily checking.  You have to know it in your gut if you are eating too much - and you should realize that any weight you think you might have lost during a workout is just water weight - which you will reacquire as soon as you rehydrate.

Two people I know - one a relative and one a friend - have to weigh themselves daily due to congestive heart failure.  Water weight gains can be deadly and they are on strict diets to minimize fluid retention.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roz said:

Two people I know - one a relative and one a friend - have to weigh themselves daily due to congestive heart failure.  Water weight gains can be deadly and they are on strict diets to minimize fluid retention.  

Given a medical condition like that, close monitoring makes sense - but it probably should involve something a lot more reliable (and precise) than a drug store bathroom scale —-  or one in a shipboard fitness center which can easily be thrown off by ship’s movement.

13 hours ago, ldubs said:

". . pizza,ice cream and oat bran muffins,but never at the same time. . "

I could eat pizza and ice cream side-by-side.  But bran muffins just won't fly with either.   Haha. 

Do you ever "hollow out" a bagel?  I sometimes do that when I have a bagel, but don't have them very often.   

I do not but that is the only way Mrs.66 ever eats a bagel.I never saw anyone eat a bagel that way till I met her.

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

If you don’t have a weight problem then what to do you get out of weighing yourself daily? Just to give yourself a pat on the back?

I have never patted myself on the back.I have a fear of gaining too much weight.At one time I weighed 59 pounds more than I do today.

21 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Given a medical condition like that, close monitoring makes sense - but it probably should involve something a lot more reliable (and precise) than a drug store bathroom scale —-  or one in a shipboard fitness center which can easily be thrown off by ship’s movement.

Not every scale comes from a drug store.I have two that were purchased in a medical supply store.

6 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Not every scale comes from a drug store.I have two that were purchased in a medical supply store.

Of course - someone with valid medical concerns which make weight monitoring essential needs to do it carefully and seriously.  However, I stick to my contention that someone on a cruise ship who feels he needs to weigh himself daily - even when at sea, when it cannot be monitored closely - is obsessing somewhat.

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course - someone with valid medical concerns which make weight monitoring essential needs to do it carefully and seriously.  However, I stick to my contention that someone on a cruise ship who feels he needs to weigh himself daily - even when at sea, when it cannot be monitored closely - is obsessing somewhat.

But are you not obsessing just a little about others wanting to weigh themselves!  😄😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Do you mean you get rid of the hole in the middle?  I do that with donuts - also not have them very often.

Haha, no I leave the hole in the middle, but I like that.   I did once ask for some fence post holes at our local hardware store.  Young lady at the register didn't know I was joking.   

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Haha, no I leave the hole in the middle, but I like that.   I did once ask for some fence post holes at our local hardware store.  Young lady at the register didn't know I was joking.   

Reminds me of the time I was in a sporting goods store - there was a bunch of guys looking at the baseball caps - all wearing their own the "cool" way -- with the visor in back .  I asked the clerk if he  had any "traditional" caps -- with the visor in front:

he did not get it.

• Haha 2